rent of buya place to live?

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
well, getting closer and closer to my dream year of moving down to the DR . But am unsure if i should buy a small place or simply rent it till i know where I stand. I repeatedly go back to the north, I love the campo , but am unsure how I ll feel living rigth there after a month or two. I need something more , but hopefully without losing the charm and wholesomeness of the campo life...maybe Villa Gonzales close to Santiago? But should I rent? or buy outright? I hate to pay rent, money down the drain, but it would be a bigger loss to buy and need to move....to rent. would I need to be a resident of the DR? Can I become one, also being an American , fairly easily?I m single, can live fairly frugaly, have friends in the campo , how much am I looking at monthly for a small place one bedroom is fine, say in Villa Gonzales..I ve a good idea of the food costs already having shopped at the almacens and Jumbo, but i m lost on cable and water bills.....and the like....I wont need a car.

I agree with Eastcoastmike! RENT FIRST to see if you like the area. I've only just moved here 2.5 weeks ago and it is entirely different than any vacation I have ever been on here before. Living here is NOT LIKE A VACATION! We bought a place b/c we didn't want to waste money. I love our place and we got a good deal but if I would do it over again I would rent first!
I do love it here though just it is way more stressful at first, for us anyways :) We are building a pool and fence etc so the many people in our house nonstop could be adding to our stress!

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
I work in real estate, and I advise my clients to rent for at least 6 months before they decide to buy. Most take the advice and find that living here is a lot different than a 2week-1month vacation.
You get a chance to feel out the location, and if you don't like it, its easy to move to another, but if you own, its a little harder to pick up and move.
Take the advice here, rent for 6months to a year and look around for great buys in areas you want to live in, then if you feel its the right move then purchase, but don't purchase until you have been here for at least 6 months.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I've a 2 Acre plot 5 miles North of La Caleta you can buy for RD80,000. Then sit on it for a while, or consider building, if you want. I was considering constructing a pig farm on it after I saw the profit my pal makes over in Moca with the same thing.
There's plenty around campo La Caleta ( I know you know the area well so......)b, cheap, no one will buy because we it is so remote.
One issue for the farm is we have no water, but apparently there is a shallow water , I just need to find it. There are natural access points and the water is there, tapping into it is another thing. A twig and a few spliffs gives me belief at stone henge, Shame when my money is on the line:pirate:

You'll do good Bud, just keep doing what you're doing, you are more aware than most here and keep asking, which is refreshing, you know more about Dom life than most.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Yes, rent for a minimum of 3-6 months in a secure area. Security for your apartment or house should be your number 1 priority here. We don't really consider that back home but here if your home is not in a secure location than it will not be fun to be here. You will get ripped off and get very discouraged so ask around and get the whole story. I have a two bedroom condo in Las Terrenas and pay about $135usd a month for electricity. That is not using the air conditioning this time of year. Also SKY sat TV costs me about $45usd a month for a good programming package. If you decide to come here permanently, than yes, you will need to start the residency process. You will need to get a lawyer and the whole process will cost you minimum of about $1200usd. A good used car will cost you $8000-$10000usd. Insurance for the car will cost between $125 and $200 for the year. Try to find an apartment furnished and get a real world experience. Coming here as a resident is quite different than a tourist. You are in real world situations and have to deal with the everyday challenges. If you have no language skills it could be difficult but a lot of people have done it and you can learn Spanish here. Good luck

LTSteve

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Amstel", you haven't been paying attention here on DR1!
Your question has been asked a hundred times here.
And received 1,000 replies, now 1,020!
I'll give you the consensus of 99.9% of DR1ers,.......ready?????...............R-E-N-T.
End of story!
Case Closed!
Stick A Fork In It,.IT's DONE!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Just the fact that you are not exactly sure on WHERE you want to settle down should answer your question.