This Sounds Like An Interesting Activity

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Thanks to today's Sosua News for reporting what sounds like an interesting, but little-known North Coast activity:

[h=5]Rudy Mart?nez lived in Germany for 13 years, where he was a garden designer and administrator. A man with a great love for everything that grows, blooms and therefore always fascinates. A true nature lover. Seven years ago he decided to go back to his homeland. He settled in Islab?n, a hamlet near Cabarete where he bought a large piece of land. The land adjacent to the river Jacqueline which flows into the larger river Yasica.[/h] [h=5][/h]
[h=5][/h] [h=5]Rudy has transformed the purchased land into a nature reserve where now all native trees, plants, flowers and fruits grow and can be admired and also the fruits tasted. Rudy organizes excursions at his nature reserve, and for being an expert he explains the various crops an animals in several languages (English, German and of course Spanish). At various places participants of the tour can enjoy unfamiliar fruits and quench their thirst with coconut milk.[/h]
[h=5]After visiting the park with its animals, birds and many plants and trees (coffee, rice, cocoa, bananas, etc.) follows a boat trip of about 2 hours through the jungle area where the rivers Yasica and Jacqueline find their way to the Atlantic. Along the way you can see how the locals fish and catch crabs and lobster. This part of the lagoon is also full of eels. But the Dominicans are not so fond of the snake-like fish. At the mouth of the river (La Boca) where the river debouches in the Atlantic Ocean, Christino Almont's restaurant is located.[/h] [h=5][/h]
[h=5][/h] [h=5]Everything is simple, almost primitive, Dominican decorated. But there are cold beers and the fish and lobster dish is famous. Especially in the weekend it is pleasantly busy here. Here the tour ends with a delicious meal with lobster, fried fish, salad and rice with plantain. If you want to know more about the flora and fauna of the country then this tour is highly recommended.
The entire excursion includes boat trip costs US$ 25.-[/h]

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar
Thanks for the post, Ken.
We will see if we can make it a 'day trip' by bus for our intrepid Costambar travelers.

jlbear57

Jan 6, 2012
Does he have a website or contact information? We are visiting Cabarete in May and this looks interesting.

JessicaRabbit

Sep 21, 2009
I loved everything except some tiny ass bugs/flies that were biting me like crazy! I had terrible allergic reaction that lasted for a week on that bites! So use some spray on open parts of your body if you are allergy prone.

charlie&ziggy

Mar 1, 2009
That sounds like a nice day out. We will be there end of March. Staying in Costambar, Going to rent a vehicle again and go check it out. Should make a great day trip. Does anyone else have info on different excursions or trips my wife and I can do? Just about anywhere in DR, we are willing to travle and explore. Thanx in advance all