Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default A techie question for our Geeks and other Smart People

As is kind of obvious, I work a lot on my computers. I have people here that live on theirs, literally!

Since we are on one of those "24 Hour, A-circuits" we do not have many power outages. However on Tuesdays and Thursdays, the Ede-Norte people "lend" the circuits to electrical contractors for the installation of major connections and big stuff like huge transformers. So the lights DO go out.

I can put up with it, although I might lose my modem for a few moments while it resets, but one of my people here is in on-line sales and he cannot afford to have interruptions in his conversations since he loses contact and $$....

So, back in December, and for my own convenience, I purchased a nice UPS unit from Amazon and when it got here I plugged it into the wall socket and then plugged the modem and my wifi transmitter into it.

BUT WHEN THE POWER JUST WENT OUT A FEW MINUTES AGO, I LOST MY INTERNET CONNECTION. WHY? I THOUGHT THAT THE UPS WOULD BE FAST ENOUGH TO KEEP THIS FROM HAPPENING. WAS I WAY OFF THE MARK??

Kindly and not so kindly suggestions will be appreciated. (No I can't do that with the UPS unit, it won't fit up "there" ....but I know what you mean.)

HB
    Moderator DR1.com

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I purchased a UPS from the US many years ago. I found out that it did accept the square wave power from the inverter and would not charge from it. So it is essentially useless here. Locally sold units do not seem to have this problem, but I never actually needed to purchase one after researching the problem a bit more.

Your UPS sounds like it is defective or the specs don't meat the hold time of the DSL modem.

Some DSL modems have enough "hold time" to stay up during the switch between power going off and my inverter kicking in. The Speedstream modem I currently have is one of those that rarely has a problem and could be one that would work better for your situation. A conversation with someone knowledgeable at CLARO ( I know, they are hard to find) could help you find a good solution

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Really don't know without seeing the specs of the unit.
    It should have "switchover time", usually in milliseconds. 4ms should be about right.
    Then it should have the time (I forget what the tech term is) it will keep how many watts going until the internal battery quits.

Maybe you have just a spike protector and the battery (or it's charger) are kaput. Maybe you had too many watts plugged in.
    I've got one I haven't used for years, but it worked well. Just gave enough time to save files and shut down, though. I can bring it up next week if you want to try it.

4. Likes Chip liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

We have a Sanyo laptop & Movil Claro wifi (pay as you go), luz goes off & on all day & night. Never had any problems at all & am on here all the time since I broke my wrist.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RayO View Post
    We have a Sanyo laptop & Movil Claro wifi (pay as you go), luz goes off & on all day & night. Never had any problems at all & am on here all the time since I broke my wrist.
    Are you connected to your WIFI in the house, or is it Movil 3G, big difference.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    ...Since we are on one of those "24 Hour, A-circuits" we do not have many power outages........

BUT WHEN THE POWER JUST WENT OUT A FEW MINUTES AGO, I LOST MY INTERNET CONNECTION. WHY? I THOUGHT THAT THE UPS WOULD BE FAST ENOUGH TO KEEP THIS FROM HAPPENING. WAS I WAY OFF THE MARK??..............

HB
    Just a wild guess but maybe one of those one time freak things.

I basically have the same set-up as you. I have an APC UPS. I connected my modem, router, 42" TV, and cable box to my UPS. The few times the power has gone out my equipment never missed a beat. On one occasion the power was out 40 minutes and the building planta never kicked in. Surprisingly I was able to watch TV and surf the net during this time without the UPS battery losing power.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I am using these models and had no problems with connection interruptions the couple times when there was no power:

Amazon.com: APC BE550G Back-UPS ES 8 Outlet 550VA 120V: Electronics

Amazon.com: CyberPower CP1000AVRLCD Intelligent LCD 1000VA 600W with AVR Mini Tower UPS: Electronics

maybe your UPS has a glitch...

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Most, or at least some, UPS units come with 2 types of sockets: the ones that provide protection against power interruption and the others simply protect from power spikes but they cut off power when the power goes out. Just a possibility, but make sure your modem is plugged into the first set of plugs.

10. Likes caribmike, cobraboy, Mauricio, pelaut liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

3 possible answers...first (and most likely), what VJS said....the outlets on the back should be labeled "protected" and "non-protected" or something like that. Almost all UPS's have both types of outlets on the back. Second, when the power goes out, the power could also go out somewhere on the Internet transmission line...and needs to reset like everything else. Third, defective unit...

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

VJS has a good point. Here are a couple of other ideas:

1. The UPS does not provide a pure sine wave that the modem likes and so it shuts off when the UPS kicks in. Easy to try at any time by pulling the electric plug to the UPS out while watching the modem - the UPS battery should kick in instantaneously and the modem should not restart.

2. The UPS does not charge as the power from the grid is not "good", easy to tell by looking at the power indicator of the UPS, should read 100% when it had power for a good while and also, if this is the problem, the test above fails and at the same time the UPS goes black if you pull the power cord.

3. The Codetel station does not have a working UPS so even if your modem has power from your UPS, the modem on the other side dies when the power dies and the connection drops. If the test above is ok then this is a probably the issue.

If Codetel is the problem, you can try to switch to 3G as failover with a special router that has two wan connections, cost about $200 on amazon, will swith to the 3G backup if the main fails.

Cheers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast