What would you have done in this situation?

marcelm

Feb 7, 2013
Hi,
here's the story: I was in a carrito alone on the back seat. There was another passenger on the passenger seat. I got out and noticed that I somehow forgot my wallet inside of the car. I jumped on the next mototaxi and followed the carrito. It took some time to reach the carrito since I did not notice it right away.
I told the driver to stop and he did. I told him that I forgot my wallet, opened the back door and there it was. I was pretty happy so I just took it and the driver drove off immediately. Then I noticed that my money was missing (100 USD and 400 Pesos). The rest was still there. I followed and stopped the carrito again.
I asked him where my money was. He said he doesn't know anything and confirmed the fact that after me noone else enter the car on the back seat... So it was pretty obvious. The guy on the passenger seat got out of the car and got aggressive asking if I was calling him a thief... It was going back and forth a little because both the driver and the passenger said that they have nothing to do with it. One reason they told me was, if they had stolen it for real they would have thrown away the wallet and would not have left it in the car, which is not a valid argument.
It was at night and there were some dominicans coming over, listening to the argument. I was telling everyone was happening, not saying that the actually stole it, I just asked everyone how 100 dollars could just disappear. Not a single guy said "well, they obviously stole it!" they rather did not say anything or even said "well, be happy that your ID and other stuff is still in there". sure, I am happy, but it's in my opinion very sad that no-one was willing to help me at all in this totally obvious situation, except for the mototaxi driver, who was my opinion...
Well, I wanted to go to the police with both, but the passenger just left while I was talking to the driver. Finally we (the driver and me) drove together to the police station. As I expected they just told me that I was my fault, since I left my wallet inside. Sure it was my fault at some point, but since it was so obvious that they (the driver and passenger) took the money, they could have done something. They driver confirmed the story as I told it (I was the only passenger on the backseat and after me noone entered nor left the vehicle), but of course always said that he had nothing to do with it.
My idea now was, assuming that the police here is quite corrupt, that they did not want ME to help, because they knew that they would get some money from the driver.
If that is true, I assume that the driver knew that this was going to happen. Therefore I had the idea that I might have gotten at least the 50 USD the driver took, by telling him on the way, that I would say on the police station that there were 300 USD in my wallet! This way he would have to bribe the police according to the amount of 150 USD stolen, not 50...
What do you think?

Just to make this clear: I'm not crying or very angry because I lost 100 dollars. Of course it's sad, but what actually makes me sad is that they stole at all in the first place and that no one of the dominicans coming to see what was going on were helping. Why do they support thiefs?
And the second thing about the police and the bribe I'm just curious if you think that would have worked?

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
I would have been happy (VERY happy) to get my wallet and it's contents back and wouldn't have wasted my time arguing with the driver and passenger...and certainly wouldn't have gone to the police knowing there was a 0% chance I would get a single peso back.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
It this happened anywhere in the world, the result would have been the same. You can't prove you had $100 in your wallet, and you can't prove they took it. Be happy you got your ID back.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I got my money back from my US bank after "Cardnet" cloned my card, TWICE!
Best one was when Banco de Reservas called me here in SD, and asked me if I lust bought $100 US of gasoline on my "Banreservas CC,outside Chicago Illinois???
They blocked the card immediately.
They issued me a new card, which they brought to my house,and credited my account with $100 US!
They don't actually buy any gasoline.
They just have the attendant run the charge,say $100, the attendant gives him $50, and they more to the next station.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
I think that you are lucky that your got your wallet with your ID and personal stuff back! I don't think the police didn't help because they were bribed but because they are lazy and they just don't care!

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
What would you expect the police or the bystanders to do? They we'rent there and there's always two sides to a story. Why would they side with you? Sure, to you there's only one side but not everyone else.

Even here on the forum, how do we know you didn't lose it before getting in the taxi? Or got drunk the nite before and didn't realize what you went home with? The way I see it is that you did your best talking to the driver and passenger. They wouldn't budge so at that point it's a done deal. The moneys gone.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
IMO it seems like the other passenger was the culprit.He was in a better position to steal your money
as you got out of the car than the cab driver at the wheels.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
What kind of help do you imagine the police could have done? Strip search the cab driver and decide that the money he had belonged to the OP instead of to the Cabbie?
Der FIsh

Well, there's people who have been taken to the Fiscalia for allegedly stealing $500 pesos. By the way, not saying that they should have done that, but that they didn't do it not for bribing involved but for lack of interest.

cairotaxi

Dec 17, 2012
I,too,would have returned to the driver to retrieve my wallet.One could assume either he or the passenger may have taken the money but this is difficult to prove.Furthermore it would have been my fault for leaving my belongings behind.I don't think I would have bothered going to the police,regardless of the country!!I lived in Cairo,Egypt for years.Three incidences of stupidity: leaving a camera and belongings behind.I was fortunate and in each instance my property was returned by the driver. However,if that happened now,there ain't no way the story would have ended the same.It would have ended like yours.Sorry this happened to you.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Marcelm",
"Welcome To The DR"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You have learned a lesson, at very little cost!, that you can never trust anyone here.
And, YOU!,..... are the ONLY ONE, who is concerned about your personal safety, or property!
"Take-A-Lesson"!
Now, be SAFE!
But, more IMPORTANT, Be SMART!"
CCCCCCCCCCC
I keep my money in a small plastic bag, inside my under pants!
That way, if I get robbed, at least i GET A "HAND JOB"!

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
Just to make this clear: I'm not crying or very angry because I lost 100 dollars. Of course it's sad, but what actually makes me sad is that they stole at all in the first place and that no one of the dominicans coming to see what was going on were helping. Why do they support thiefs?

because they were all thinking: "damn, I wish I was on that backseat with a stupid gringo!"

Dec 26, 2011
Just be glad it's a very religious country. That's created a pervasive spirit of honesty and integrity in the culture.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Nobody said you have to be smart to be a good thief!!!!!!!!!!!!
He probably caught up to them before they could remove his credit cards and IDs.
Maybe it was just a "Crime of opportunity", by average Dominicans,not full time thieves who knew how to use his "CCs", and "IDs"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Dec 26, 2011
Nobody said you have to be smart to be a good thief!!!!!!!!!!!!
He probably caught up to them before they could remove his credit cards and IDs.
Maybe it was just a "Crime of opportunity", by average Dominicans,not full time thieves who knew how to use his "CCs", and "IDs"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

He may have even seen the money as a gift from on high, an answer to his prayers.

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
This person who left his wallet is obviously fresh fish to the world . ALMOST everyone on the planet would be grateful to get their ID. BACK . going to the police here , its more likely would have cost you more money . some one please get to this person and Educate him quick or its going to be a Long Learning set of lessons !!

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
In your situation, unless I was ready to beat both the driver and passenger's a$$ if I didn't get my money back, I would have gone home once I got my wallet back.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
This happened to Mr. AE in front of his mother's house, he left his wallet on the dashboard, with the window open [yeah, I know, I know]. Ran back out and it was gone. An hour or so later a guy from the colmado across the street came to the house with the wallet, said he found it on the floor and recognized Mr. AE's photo on the license. Money was gone, but all cards, license etc. intact. We were THRILLED. Might have even been the colmado guy who took it. Mr. AE didn't even blame the thief, because he knew it was his own fault. Lesson was learned too.