Pensioners dying of hunger?

lbs720

Jul 2, 2009
I just read the news article about how around 200 pensioners die each month in the DR from hunger. How does that happen? Don't they have children or neighbors who are aware of their situation? I can't imagine the misery that would even lead up to their deaths, feeling like they have been abandoned. That is just horrible.

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
first: link please.
second: there is no pension system here as such. some companies pay their past employees but most people live off their family members.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
hmmm... i think i found a link to the story... from october last year.... not exactly new news, is it?
Ancianos reclaman aumento de pensiones - DiarioLibre.com

this is a strange text... canasta familiar at 25k pesos a month? who lives here on that money? most poor manage on a fraction of that. and while cada 30 d?as entre 196 y 200 por falta de atenciones m?dicas, medicina, entre otros servicios que les corresponden may be true than dying from hunger is not....

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
You have to look past the "Agenda Driven",source, of the so called "NEWS"!
The source is pressuring the Government to increase pensions.
Dominican families, and sometimes just friends, and/or neighbors take-in and care for older people here.
I have NEVER, in 17 years living here, seen an actual report of anyone, "Dying of Hunger"!
This is NOT, a news story, it is propaganda.
I had 20 Dominicans here in my house last night eating like it was their last meal, many were overweight.
And they took food home when they left!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

lbs720

Jul 2, 2009
pensioners dying of hunger

first: link please.
second: there is no pension system here as such. some companies pay their past employees but most people live off their family members.

Here is the article. It is from today's DR1 news.

Pensioners 'dying of hunger'
The National Federation of Pensioners and Retired people has said that between 196 and 221 pensioners die of hunger each month in the country, as their pensions are not enough to cover their basic needs.

Government pensioners receive only RD$5,117 per month, whereas the family food basket has risen to RD$25,000.

The Federation has asked the government to increase pensions to RD$10,000 a month, and those who are currently receiving RD$10,000 should have it increased to RD$50,000. The president of the Federation, Reverend Emilio Lopez Munoz, said that pensioners are condemned to dying of hunger due to the lack of food, medicines and medical care.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
As "dv" ALREADY said,
Lack of medical treatment, especially chronic diseases,medicine, "SI!", "FOOD", not here!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
I just read the news article about how around 200 pensioners die each month in the DR from hunger. How does that happen? Don't they have children or neighbors who are aware of their situation? I can't imagine the misery that would even lead up to their deaths, feeling like they have been abandoned. That is just horrible.

The original article indeed mentions that pensioners get so little that this is a starving sentence for them; But the article states that about 200 people die every month due to lack of access to medical attention and medicine, among other services.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
I believe it can cover THEIR basic needs if they own their own place and plus some don't pay for
electricity.It can cover their food bill,at least to eat sensible.But the problem is that it's not just
one person in the household,we are talking about maybe 4 or more.Therefore it becomes difficult
to live on that income.Many support their sons,daughters and grandchildren with their pension.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
A retired teacher gets about $5,000 a month but with the fee they disccount for the health insurance it's a lot less than that, depending on how many family members you've got on your insurance. There's people whose pension is less than $2,000 a month!

The sad thing here is that retired teachers with connections, are able to get a politician to raise their pension to $25,000, as favors.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The fact that they live in a multi-person household, is a PLUS, not a Negative.
In a Dominican household, money is pooled to make ends meet.
EXCEPT in mine! :cry::cry::cry:
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Pensioners out in the campo are often in dire straits. Believe me, I know many of them. They live pitiful lives, depending on their equally poor neighbors' charity. The lucky ones have a child or grandchild in the US who sends them money from time to time.

They consider Mr. AE and me very rich [we're far from it], and they come to visit me from time to time. They rarely come empty-handed, they show up with a little bag of some fruit or veg they have picked from their property, and I make the suitable fuss over their gift. I offer them a cup of coffee and whatever else I have [cookies, chocolate, cake, or a sandwich]. They find some of the American stuff we have very exotic. We send plates of food over to them from time to time.

Several of them have little 'stores' at their house, where they sell little things [single cigarettes, gum, etc., kind of mini-mini colmados], trying to eek out a few extra pesos. One sets up a little rickety table out front where they sell vegetables and fruits, some home grown, some they buy at the mercado in San Cristobal once or twice a week. I buy their stuff to help the local economy without it looking like charity, even though Mr. AE sometimes grumbles that they're overcharging me. ;)

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Pensioners out in the campo are often in dire straits. Believe me, I know many of them. They live pitiful lives, depending on their equally poor neighbors' charity. The lucky ones have a child or grandchild in the US who sends them money from time to time.

They consider Mr. AE and me very rich [we're far from it], and they come to visit me from time to time. They rarely come empty-handed, they show up with a little bag of some fruit or veg they have picked from their property, and I make the suitable fuss over their gift. I offer them a cup of coffee and whatever else I have [cookies, chocolate, cake, or a sandwich]. They find some of the American stuff we have very exotic. We send plates of food over to them from time to time.

Several of them have little 'stores' at their house, where they sell little things [single cigarettes, gum, etc., kind of mini-mini colmados], trying to eek out a few extra pesos. One sets up a little rickety table out front where they sell vegetables and fruits, some home grown, some they buy at the mercado in San Cristobal once or twice a week. I buy their stuff to help the local economy without it looking like charity, even though Mr. AE sometimes grumbles that they're overcharging me. ;)

Folks like them I don't mind if they overcharge me.I would gladly give them a bit more.;) Those who are in dire need.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Met a lady who claims that she takes care of herself and a granddaughter on a monthly penson of 7,000 pesos. SHe owns the home that her husband built yeaqrs ago, but still I cannot imagine living alone on 4 times that.
Der Fish

Many, including whole families live on less.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
pension system in DR is virtually nonexistent, apart from political pensions, that is. basically, the young people of today who are in a social system (pay taxes, insurances and monies towards their retirement) will receive what we can call a pension. the next generation should be more fully integrated into the system. old people today receive very little. those who worked for the government or large private companies (presidente, brugal) receive a percentage of their earnings after they retire or in form of benefits if they cannot work anymore due to some health issues.

most folks, i guess, receive nothing or so little that they entirely depend on families and neighbours. now, you know i do not shy away from bashing DR but i give credit where credit's due: dominicans love and respect their elderly and they are very generous. no one is left to die of hunger. there will always be someone to share a meal with, no matter how simple.

most poor pay very little in terms of bills. their power and water are subsidized by the government and often there is a set low payment a month. water can be as little as a 100 pesos a month (i pay nearly 500) and electricity bill will be low too. so basic living on a tiny pension is not only possible : it is a fact.

it's another story that few of the poorer have health insurance and meds are rather pricey here. so people end up not taking anything at all. there are, of course government pharmacies where basic medicine cost as little as 1 peso per pill but many dominicans will not buy those. many more do not have access to those services (the pharmacies are only in bigger cities). so yes, older folks often die because of untreated illnesses. but not of hunger...