What is better option: imported VW2008 or dominican M-Benz C 2007

JessicaRabbit

Sep 21, 2009
Id like to buy a car so im trying to decide which option is better.
We have to choose between Volkswagen 2008 3.2l 6 cyl just imported or Mercedes C 2007 2.3 l 4 cyl that was used in DR. Both cars had 1 owner. Around same price. So what do you think is going to last me longer or be better for DR roads etc. thanks for input

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I have never owned either car, but my understanding is that the suspensions on VWs are not well suited for this country.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
What kind of VW? some are made in Mexico and are not supposed to be very good. The Mercedes C230 2007 is a good car, specially as it is the last year of that chassis, when usually all problems have been sorted out. I used to own a 2006 and it was a very good car. No problems worth mentioning.
I always say a car is as good as the treatment it gets. Imported car are supposed to be better treated than cars originally sold here, but many lack maintenance records and it's very hard to know its origins. Benz's owners tend to treat their cars well and keep a maitenance record. Parts for both are expensive if you buy them at the dealer (Avelino Abreu or Autozama) but you can get good deals online. Just keep in mind these cars are no Corolla, so you have to treat them well in order to keep them running.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Between two? If you don't mind attentions you are going to attract. I would go for Mercedes. I don't know about C class but E class was wonderful car for 10 years I had it. I handed off to my nephew and he still thanks me when ever I see him. Keep in mind though, parts and labor is going to kill you and basic maintenance is going to be higher too, as it will requires synthetic oil and dealer fluids

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
If you need parts, the Mercedes is going to be extremely expensive. I had a Porsche and the cost of parts was shocking. Unless the car is new, it is going to be costly to maintain.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Id like to buy a car so im trying to decide which option is better.
We have to choose between Volkswagen 2008 3.2l 6 cyl just imported or Mercedes C 2007 2.3 l 4 cyl that was used in DR. Both cars had 1 owner. Around same price. So what do you think is going to last me longer or be better for DR roads etc. thanks for input

The 2.3 is a Six cylinder I believe, and is a very reliable car. I have owned several E models and seriously considered a C model but found the rear not to offer much room. There are numerous enough not to stand out, especially considering the amount of Lexus, ...etc on the roads here.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I favor cars that were sold in RD originally - i.e. export models - over the US/Cdn domestic cars shipped in here.

Usually records can be found..... my recent purchase came with a complete history from Sto Domingo Motors, even though I bought it from a used car dealer.

For fear of being hammered by CCCCCCCC, I will refrain from giving you my salesman's name and number.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
The 2.3 is a Six cylinder I believe, and is a very reliable car. I have owned several E models and seriously considered a C model but found the rear not to offer much room. There are numerous enough not to stand out, especially considering the amount of Lexus, ...etc on the roads here.
I don't know about brand perceptions in DR but back in State, there are many still believe Mercedes is above Lexus and even BMW?!?!?!? When I was in state I drove my car to warehouse for a meeting in and there were no parking available due to snow. And when I parked in employee lot there were several walking in and noticed my car, we talked, and I end up kept reminding him the car is near 10 years old and it's worth less then his brand new Camry. And he kept saying it's Mercedes and has most prestige and I have money to burn.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Buy a Toyota!
You will be better off in all areas, cost, parts, service, and resale as well!
Two million Dominicans can't be wrong,....about THIS!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

JessicaRabbit

Sep 21, 2009
Thanks guys! The only reason i am looking on VW is because its hardtop convertible :cool: and i think its so cool... Definitely only one in DR.... Other then that id go with merc too. So talk me out of convertible LOL it also has bluetooth :)

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Thanks guys! The only reason i am looking on VW is because its hardtop convertible :cool: and i think its so cool... Definitely only one in DR.... Other then that id go with merc too. So talk me out of convertible LOL it also has bluetooth :)
Long a go I rented convertible when I was in week long vacation in California. My skins got cooked real good and they peeled right off...

DOMINCAN JOE

Bronze
Aug 15, 2006
2008 Volkswagen Eos 3.2L V6 6-speed Automated Manual Consumer Reviews
Don't buy this car!
By Sotouboy on 08/25/08 19:03 PM (PDT)
Vehicle

Review

Anyone who reads any reviews about this car would NEVER buy one! We had two, both leaked within hours of my bringing them home. The only good part was that my dealer stood behind their 100% satisfaction guarantee and gave me my money back. It's one of the coolest, quickest cars I've driven. Unfortunately, no one wants to buy a car that leaks, all the time, even when brand new. Pass on this one and wait until they figure it out.
Read the full review

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Not a good choice for the DR!
Buy with your brain, not with your heart.
A "Rag Top" would be an invitation to "Open Me Up!" Ladrones.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Hey Colon.... not a 'ragtop'. the new are hard top ragtops.... think Edsel ala 1960 something.......
metal top folds into the trunk....

Catch up.... or Katsup.... put it on your burgermeister

Flatus is a problem for some......:pirate:

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Ok, listen, I sold cars for a living. I know cars, but i know motorcycles and donkeys even better. If you want the most Horsepower to weight ratio available on the market, the most economical, the best re-sell value, the best bang for your buck, the most versatile, the baddest, the coolest, the most fuel efficient open air convertible on the market, as well as the most eager to please transportation available, the choice can only be one thing...but before i give you that answer, let me ask you this:

Are you concerned with what people think of you when you're driving to the supermarket? Do you care about having GPS or Blutooth on an island that only has few highways on the whole island? Do you care about having to wash your vehicle as little as possible? Are you knowledgeable about changing fluids? Are you able to recognize when your vehicle needs refueled? If you've answered yes to all of these questions, the answer to the best vehicle available in the DR or Latin America can only be one answer--it's the vehicle that is both a convertible and good on fuel, both economical and fuel efficient, both timeless and stylish at the same time, and it's right here at your finger-tips: The Dominican Donkey.

I have one, she's red, imported from Russia, and can carry me on her back and take me back and forth to work, eats very little, is fuel efficient, easy on the eyes, pleasant to look at, but has gas occasionally that last for days (depending on how much cabbage she's eaten), is a convertible, easy to drive, and doesn't run away much, but when she does...she's easy to find because she thinks with her stomach.

Frank

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
WAIT, I know that model.....
I think I saw her her sucking her thumb beside the highway... pretending NOT to be hitch hiking

EAsy to spot..... cheap to feed....

JessicaRabbit

Sep 21, 2009
Id go with roof down only after 5 pm. Im not crazy, and bluetooth is good for listening music from my phone... I wont buy donky im sorry, i cant tolerate the smell.