Communication in DR

G

ghcarter

I will be travelling to DR in weeks to come and I will be staying at an all inclusive resort. During my stay I would like to have internet access. I currently have access through Verizon (bellatlantic) in the US and I have internet access through my cell phone (Sprint). I will be away from my office for a week while visiting...any suggestions on how I can get inexpensive internet access? Please help.

G

Grahame Bush

It depends on where you are visiting but on the North Coast we have several internet cafes etc. I would suggest you type up onto your pc offline then communicate with your office from one of these (about US $5 - 10 per hour. Your alternative is to use an unmentionable amount of charm - IN SPANISH - directly with Codetel, who MIGHT (on a GOOD day) think about doing you the favour of letting you become a temporary client for the period you are in the country.

I have no idea what strings you can pull with Verizon but it may be worth giving them a call in your home country. THEY own a fair chunk of Codetel, so you might get some leverage if your local office talk direct to Codetel on your behalf. This is a new approach to a problem many others have had & will have in the future, so please get back to me after the event & tell us all how you got on - it will help us give better advice in the future. Thanks & have a good holiday - Grahame Bush.

G

ghcarter

Wow...thanks so much for the wealth of information...and so quickly...I am staying in the East...I will be sure to follow up with you on the outcome

D

Duck

I have the same problem and have found that more or less what Grahame suggests is the least frustrating. I usually call my secretary and have her read down the list of e-mails, and then have her send the important ones to my "hotmail" account, which I can get to through any PC on the net.

I also have tried several times (from Montecristi - so this is no easy task) to get on my company's server via remote access through various telephones. Most of the time it is slower than regular mail, but a few times I was positively surprised. If the power is out, and you are lucky enough to connect, your battery may not last long enough to get anything done.

G

ghcarter

Grahame thanks so much for all of the info...I followed up on your leads and they paid off:) I 1st called & emailed Verizon here in the US and I never received a response from the email but I was told by phone that I should try and contact Codetel directly.
The Codetel Techs were very receptive and patient. Due to my inability to speak spanish, I chose to call on a Saturday midmorning trying to avoid the high traffic time (they have 24hr/7day service for internet customers). Just as they were about to set me up with a temporary internet access number they realized that I would be staying at Barcelo Bavaro Beach Resort and they immediately told me that "FREE" internet access is offered from every room.
I called the resort directly with this information and they confirmed this by telling me that all I needed to do for access is to use 1-200-555 from my room as the dial up number. If this info changes before I get there I will be sure to follow up.
Thanx Again