Rye flour

Feb 2, 2013
Anyone knows where this can be bought in the Bavaro area? I only find regular wheat flour in the stores.

Alot of question today :). Thanks to all for pitching in your knowledge!

Cheers

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
you may be out of luck. our resident german goodies baker, donP, used to import his rye flour and have it shipped to DR. your choices may be limited to doing the same or visiting this large store in SD, name escapes my memory now, that caters to bakeries. they have different types of flour, in 20 kg bags.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i make my own bread and so far i have only found normal bread flour or wholewheat type. i buy gold medal for bread. dominican flour is made from imported grains and it only suitable for basic baking and cooking: cookies and pancakes, maybe simple white bread. by far the most popular product in DR bakeries is pan de agua (water bread), very simple, plain, white bun, only good fresh and hard as a rock next day. most dominicans will only ever eat white bread hence not much need for anything else.
better bakeries offer dark bread, look for german places in your area, maybe they can sell you some of their flour. they must have access to large amounts of darker flours. the problem is whether they will share and how much will they sell. i do not recommend getting any more that 2-4 kg. flours here should be stored in the fridge (unless used commercially and fast) because you'll have it wiggling with life in no time.

anyways, good luck and happy baking!

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
there's that newish little store that specializes in imported food stuff. I don't know how many "raw ingredient" kinds of things they have, they seem to specialize in packaged products, but it might be worth a try when you're in the neighborhood. The name escapes me now, maybe Eurobazar or something like that. It's on the bend in the road just as you head out of the center of Cortecito toward the airport.

Don Pedro

Apr 2, 2005
...only found normal bread flour or wholewheat type. i buy gold medal for bread. dominican flour is made from imported grains and it only suitable for basic baking and cooking...
anyways, good luck and happy baking!
As far as I know there are 2 type of normal bread flower.
The cheap one Pesos 1000 for 120 pounds and Princessa at pesos 1850 for 120 pounds.
Princessa is superior to Gold medal.

About Rye flower difficulty is not to find it around Bavaro but in DR.
I would be glad to know where in DR because I import from Europe and it is not smart...

Don Pedro

Apr 2, 2005
i do not recommend getting any more that 2-4 kg. flours here should be stored in the fridge (unless used commercially and fast) because you'll have it wiggling
with life in no time

I agreed for rye or"integrale".
About Princesa 120 pounds bags I keep it without any problem outside a fridge and it takes me 4 months to finish the bag.

bri777

Bronze
Sep 11, 2010
Glad to see somebody other than Don P knows about bread

now if you know anything about dead people and crime
you would fill a big void :D
Manu

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
don pedro, i am having problems keeping my flour clean so i like to store it in the fridge, seeing that no other space is available (cool spacious storage room for example). storing starchy stuff (flour, rice, pasta) in the fridge is the best general advice for a newbie too :)

i have used princessa and it is the best of dominican flours but my heart is with gold medal somehow :) princessa is a bit coarser, i think. this is what we buy when there is no gold medal, it sells very fast in POP, many wannabe bakers, i guess ;)

May 29, 2006
Gold Metal comes in 5, 10 and 25 pound white paper bags. If you are European, it can take some getting used to because the All Purpose is bromated. If you can find King Arthur, it is a very good brand, but I would expect it to be at least double the price of Gold Metal. I use Gold Metal "Superlative" flour here in NY which is a commercial malted flour with about 12% protein.

If you are using an AP flour for bread, you can either go with a poolish or a very long mix to help develop the gluten. If you go with a long mix, you may have to chill the dough to prevent the yeast from running away on you.

Rye flour is hard to find in supermarkets in the US, so it will be hard to find in the DR.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
in the supermarkets i usually see 5 pound bags, bright orange, cannot be missed. i had no idea it comes in anything bigger! certainly not in normal shops here in POP...

big_a

Feb 28, 2013
www.hector.ca
if you find rye flour let me know too! if i can find the rye grain, i can make my own rye flour, as i brought my vitamix with me from canada. wasn't leaving that gem behind, knowing that i'll never find any wheat free options here hahaha!!!

my sis is bringing me some quinoa on her visit soon. i can't wait. brown rice is nice, but damn. gimme my quinoa.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
there is quinoa available in DR. i saw it in POP and santiago. bravo in santiago has the best selection with white, black and red quinoa. plus lots of other grainy thingies i have never heard of. about 250-300 pesos per box.

big_a

Feb 28, 2013
www.hector.ca
yes! i did see it after my husband learned it was here via DR1! and then i saw the price and just about gasped. but then turned around and spent $10 on a loaf of wheat free bread hahaha!!!

just made some cornmeal bread. that will keep me going until i learn how to make my own wheat free bread.

hopefully there will be more demand for the quinoa to bring the price down yikes! until then, it's the cost of visitors coming to stay with us hehehe ... a nice big bag of quinoa from costco!!!