Doors and Gates in Santo Domingo

Wanna

Feb 1, 2006
I am looking to purchase an door and a metal bar door in Santo Domingo. I would like to purchase them used, where would I be likely to find these items? Thanks in advance!!!

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
The security doors are usually made specifically to fit your property, there is no standard fitting, it depends on the area the fixings will go into your walls, is it sunk or proud, in a corner etc.. A guy will come out and measure up and then go and make it. He will weld the fixings when he installs it.
As for the door, what kind of door? you will end up buying the wrong side/size guaranteed. Even moving internal doors around your house is not always easy. Trying to get lucky enough to pick up a door from someone elses house will be very lucky to get it right.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
There are some nice used ones on the houses and buildings in the Zona Colonial. Pay someone a few Pesos and you will not only have a heavy door with bars but possibly a cannon and swords also. Hire a carpenter and he will make it custom to your requirements.

LTSteve

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
There are used doors and gates all over, I hadn't posted earlier because I don't know where. The gate at our house was purchased used by my brother-in-law for us. We sold our old gate to the guy who drives around buying metal.

Driving through DR we've seen all sorts of metal doors, and even window bars, simply propped up outside homes and businesses with a 'se vende' sign on them, so it may be hit or miss.

LTSteve is right, they can be modified to fit your home, whether it's wood or metal.

bizzyboneizo

Aug 31, 2010
find a welder and have it made from scratch im a welder in new york and the gates there are real basic with home made hinges and slide bolts if you can bring some from the states even a lock box

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
The expensive part of this is the metal. Your question should be --does anyone know of the best guy to create the metal (used metal or not). The primary gate should be made to open outward, hinges welded. Do not have doors that open inward. My wife learned this the hard way. Things are different in the DR. The TIGS etc. will make quick work of any door that opens inward.
You are correct in trying to find the best price for metal etc.
BUT NEVER skimp on security in the DR.
I'm sorry to say we have stuff going on our Campo these days. I mean Campo. Boondocks! Probably won't last long!!
Did I see that last year 4 thousand Dominicans were released back to their HOMELAND AFTER being educated in the the US Prison System.
Be sure to get a good Machete and have it sharpened well.
Its scares me that only "bird Shot" loads are available for shotguns. That makes the demand for pistols much greater.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The expensive part of this is the metal. Your question should be --does anyone know of the best guy to create the metal (used metal or not). The primary gate should be made to open outward, hinges welded. Do not have doors that open inward. My wife learned this the hard way. Things are different in the DR. The TIGS etc. will make quick work of any door that opens inward.

Our primary gate, at the road entrance, slides on a metal track. I don't believe I've ever seen one that opens into the street, you wouldn't be able to open it if your car is waiting to come in.

If you mean the one at the house, I agree. We have a wood door that opens inward, but the metal one outside opens out. Actually, would be no way for it to open inwards with the wood door there.