Water bills...

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Has anyone got higher then usual water bills? Or is it just my water has gone up, I mean WAY up!!!!
We've been paying like $600-$700 per month and today I got a $1700 bill. It was December that we paid like $1400 change and January was usual around $600. I thought as usual, the guy didn't read the water meter since I moved there and I just got lump sum bill again on December, just like electricity bill trouble I had. But this month I thought we were going to get less then $500 to be honest!!! What's the deal on higher then usual bill? My house has been mostly empty for good 1 1/2 months, and for most part it was me just going home to take shower at night. I just want to know if it's just me or everyone's water bill has gone up noticeably higher.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
My bill was 1300 pesos higher (we pay 3000 fixed, 10 houses, this month 4300). But that's because I forgot to pay in December and they came to disconnect. Even though our watchman talked them out of it, they did charge 'corte' and 'reconexion'.

If you are on a meter someone might have used your water or you have a leak.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
water meter? what? here in costambar (POP) we pay flat rate of 477 pesos a month. i go to pay the bill once every few months: all that we owe plus a month in advance and we have never got disconnected or had any problems.

colonial

Feb 11, 2013
Surprised to recently learn that the water company charges based what they feel you can afford to pay based upon social class. Sounds crazy but true. We used to pay 180 but now we pay 500 RD monthly regardless of use (2 people) and our next door neighbor still pays 180 like we used to pay with two people. We travel back and forth to US a lot and made the mistake of pre-paying six months in adavnce so we didn't have to worry about potential late fees, turning service off, ect. What a mistake. They thought, well if these people can afford to pay in advance lets charge them more. I happen to know that the water meters on our block don't even work. They just charge random prices. Haven't had a chance to argue it yet but plan on it.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
I think I might give them a call and have girl sent there couple of times. Getting lump sum bill is one thing but them getting used to extra handouts is other.

DAMN DR WHY MAKE IT SO DIFFICULT???

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Surprised to recently learn that the water company charges based what they feel you can afford to pay based upon social class. Sounds crazy but true. We used to pay 180 but now we pay 500 RD monthly regardless of use (2 people) and our next door neighbor still pays 180 like we used to pay with two people. We travel back and forth to US a lot and made the mistake of pre-paying six months in adavnce so we didn't have to worry about potential late fees, turning service off, ect. What a mistake. They thought, well if these people can afford to pay in advance lets charge them more. I happen to know that the water meters on our block don't even work. They just charge random prices. Haven't had a chance to argue it yet but plan on it.

yes and no. here in POP most people are on flat rates with water meters not being so common. the rates depend on the location and housing. in the pharmacy we used to pay about 500 or 600 pesos a month flat rate. our dog neighbours paid 120 pesos a month. less than a meter away. go figure. but he had business rate and they did not, despite having a business downstairs... and additional business of drug selling. and additional one of ass selling. oh well...

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete

What an honour to be socially upwardly mobile! ;)