Pet Question

Feb 20, 2011
:bunny: Has anyone ever brought their pet with them? Thinking about inviting our cat for a vacation but I am not sure if immigration / customs will want to see any sort of papers from a vet?
It's quite cheap to bring a cat, only $ 50.00 -one way- and I am hopeful she will not have to pay overstay charges upon leaving because she stayed longer than 30 days...:D

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i know people who travel with dogs. but with cats? i am not sure she will appreciate this. and the costs cannot be that low, even if taken on board with you.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
My mother brought her two cats with her when she moved to DR. Yes, she was asked to produce vaccine certificates, and the cats had to travel in the luggage compartment, not in the cabin. Needless to say, they were scared sh!tless when they finally arrived here. They were treated well at all times, they even got someone to pick them up so they wouldn't have to run along the baggage belt. But it took a while for them to get back to normal. I think one of them never did. That was 10 years ago and only one is still alive. I would say that unless it is on a permanent basis, air travel for cats is a bit too stressing for the poor things.

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
I agree, cats do not generally travel well, or adapt to new surroundings. If this is vacation travel, I would seriously consider a house/pet sitter. IMO!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
my cats give me hell with a short trip to the vet. i cannot imagine taking them on a plane, seeing that one is epileptic and the other one weighs 8 kg and gaining.

Feb 20, 2011
Cats can travel in the cabin as long as the pet carrier fits under the seat in front of you, therefore stress to the animal is no more than putting it in your car (in a pet carrier). The cost is $ 50.00, one-way, checked this out with Westjet, however different airlines will probably have different policies and rates.
The only reason I am not going to bring her down is the fact that you have to take the animal to the quarantine office 48 hours before departure; it's just to much hustle for my taste.
Will only take her with us if we move permanently.
:bunny::bunny::bunny:

mainegal

May 22, 2012
Travel can be extremely stressful for cats. If it's just for vacation do your beloved furball a favor and find a pet sitter so he/she can be left to the comfort of home.

Feb 20, 2011
LOL...way ahead of y'all; since we are spending a lot of time in Punta Cana our cat always has a pet sitter but this time we wanted the pet sitter to come on down for a few weeks (of course with the cat, in the cabin!).
Because of the 48 hours / quarantine office rule before leaving the DR it aint gonna happen.
:bunny::bunny::bunny:

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
Seems the poor pet sitter got scratched from the itinerary...

BostonMary

May 18, 2002
What is the 48 hour quarantine? When I take my dogs out of the DR I just pay the 4,000RD. The only thing is if I've been out of the country for more than 30 days the dogs need papers from the vet saying they are healthy. Of course when you enter the DR you need papers from your vet showing that they received the necessary vacines.

We just brought 3 of our cats down with us b/c we moved here and it was $50 a pet on WJ. Our cats are not that happy and one had to have a tooth pulled and it is now infected and I think i will have to put him down b/c it is not getting better which Dr Bob says is a sign of other problems.
Cats do not like change! The other 2 are beginning to like it kind of. I'm really upset that I did this to them but i wasn't going to leave a Furry behind! Our chihuahua LOVES it here though :)
There are tons of pet sitters out there so why not just find another one and bring the other sitter with you?!

Feb 20, 2011
What is the 48 hour quarantine? When I take my dogs out of the DR I just pay the 4,000RD. The only thing is if I've been out of the country for more than 30 days the dogs need papers from the vet saying they are healthy. Of course when you enter the DR you need papers from your vet showing that they received the necessary vacines.

I am wondering about that as well, all I know is what it says in the article (link) above. They say you have to go 48 hours before departure from the DR to the quarantine office. Maybe it's just to get some paper as I don't think they would quarantine the pet for 48 hours but I really don't know.

What I did was buy the pet passport thingy online for the DR and there is a section there that has the papers needed for exiting the DR as well as the arriving papers. I believe you just have to go to a vet in Punta Cana and get the Vet to do a physical exam and make sure your pet is healthy enough to fly and that the rabies shots and all other vaccinations needed to enter Canada are all up to date, then 2 days before you leave you go to the Airport and find the office area where you went when you first arrived in Punta Cana and talk to that Animal Customs guy.

When I went to my vet in Vancouver he knew a lot of this, so maybe your vet could answer some questions?

I also talked to the Food and Animal office at the Vancouver Airport b/c I had to go there a few days prior to my departure to get all my papers stamped. So I think they could answer your questions as well at your Airport.
I'm assuming since you are using West Jet you are from Canada? If not it could be different?!
Buy the online Pet passport thing it was easy and cheap!

Feb 20, 2011
What I did was buy the pet passport thingy online for the DR and there is a section there that has the papers needed for exiting the DR as well as the arriving papers. I believe you just have to go to a vet in Punta Cana and get the Vet to do a physical exam and make sure your pet is healthy enough to fly and that the rabies shots and all other vaccinations needed to enter Canada are all up to date, then 2 days before you leave you go to the Airport and find the office area where you went when you first arrived in Punta Cana and talk to that Animal Customs guy.

When I went to my vet in Vancouver he knew a lot of this, so maybe your vet could answer some questions?

I also talked to the Food and Animal office at the Vancouver Airport b/c I had to go there a few days prior to my departure to get all my papers stamped. So I think they could answer your questions as well at your Airport.
I'm assuming since you are using West Jet you are from Canada? If not it could be different?!
Buy the online Pet passport thing it was easy and cheap!

Thanks! Great news, especially for the pet sitter, as this seems easier than I was afraid of...yes the cat would be starting her vacation from Toronto with Westjet.
Will send an e-mail to our vet and check out the pet passport online.
:bunny:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
harley, i am sorry about your cat! hold on with the decision until there is nothing else left. i have an epileptic kitten, also treated by dr bob. he said her chances of survival were slimmer than a snowflake in hell but she pulled through. sometimes good things happen.