Sulphuric acid - battery electrolyte

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
The battery for the Cessna is dead!

I've found a supplier in the US that can send me a dry battery without any acid which would not be classed as dangerous goods so I could get the new battery sent to Miami and forwarded on by EPS.

So the question is: Where can you get hold of pure sulphuric acid H2SO4 in the DR? A very dangerous substance and almost impossible to ship by air.

May 29, 2006
Muriatic acid is Sulfuric Acid and readily available, but I don't know how concentrated it is there.

I saw some kids playing with the stuff. They'd put a cap-full of the acid into an empty soda bottle with some aluminum foil the put the cap back on. The aluminum would react and the bottle would expand then blow up. Tried to tell them how dangerous it was, but I don't think I got through to them. It literally was all fun and games until someone loses an eye...

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004

I've found a supplier in the US that can send me a dry battery without any acid which would not be classed as dangerous goods so I could get the new battery sent to Miami and forwarded on by EPS.

So the question is: Where can you get hold of pure sulphuric acid H2SO4 in the DR? A very dangerous substance and almost impossible to ship by air.
Any motorcycle parts supplier should have it in plastic bottles.

I bought 4 motorcycle batteries 2 weeks ago and was given a full bottle because the store didn't have the little 6-pack of acid for them.

I'm reminded of a poem from my errant childhood:

Johnny was a chemist
But Johnny is no more
For what he thought was H2O
Was H2SO4

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Muriatic acid is Sulfuric Acid and readily available, but I don't know how concentrated it is there.

I saw some kids playing with the stuff. They'd put a cap-full of the acid into an empty soda bottle with some aluminum foil the put the cap back on. The aluminum would react and the bottle would expand then blow up. Tried to tell them how dangerous it was, but I don't think I got through to them. It literally was all fun and games until someone loses an eye...

Muriatic acid is hydrochloric acid NOT sulphuric acid.

Battery acid is available at some motorcycle repair shops. The concentration used in most lead acid batteries is not that strong. I am not sure if aircraft batteries are any different, but I suspect not.

May 29, 2006
A Chem student get a job working as a waiter.

A customer finds out and says, "I'd like some H2O!"

His friend says, "Ha! I'd like some H2O too!"

The friend died.

May 29, 2006
Muriatic acid is hydrochloric acid NOT sulphuric acid.

Battery acid is available at some motorcycle repair shops. The concentration used in most lead acid batteries is not that strong. I am not sure if aircraft batteries are any different, but I suspect not.

Oops ... That's right.. And to think I did well in Organic Chem..

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Peter", it took me a few second, but I finally "Got It!
And I flunked chemistry!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
BUT, do YOU know what "6969ou812" is???

May 29, 2006
"Peter", it took me a few second, but I finally "Got It!
And I flunked chemistry!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
BUT, do YOU know what "6969ou812" is???

Drug store Hydrogen Peroxide is mostly harmless unless you swallow it. It's in a lot of mouthwashes and teeth whiteners.

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011

What kind of battery does your Cessna take? This may be a stupid question, but have you priced the battery locally?

Sometimes it's cheaper to get stuff on the island than dealing with shipping/customs. For example the price of Trojan T105 Red batteries that are used for inversores are cheaper on the island than stateside...NOT inclusive of shipping fees! Go figure that one!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
What kind of battery does your Cessna take? This may be a stupid question, but have you priced the battery locally?

Sometimes it's cheaper to get stuff on the island than dealing with shipping/customs. For example the price of Trojan T105 Red batteries that are used for inversores are cheaper on the island than stateside...NOT inclusive of shipping fees! Go figure that one!
Aircraft batteries are very specific. You just can't stuff a Diehard into an airplane.

They are also hugely expensive.