Ash Wednesday - Habichuelas con Dulce anyone?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Anyone have habichuelas con dulce today? This time of year I think of Mr. AE's Tia Ramona, who made the BEST.

I remember asking my mother-in-law for her recipe. She wrote it out for me. I made it, and it wasn't "right". She conveniently left out a key ingredient.

Wasn't the first time, not the last. Why do women DO that? So they can be the queen of the kitchen???

No, I didn't make them today. But I'll be in DR for Semana Santa, and will definitely make it then.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Anyone have habichuelas con dulce today? This time of year I think of Mr. AE's Tia Ramona, who made the BEST.

I remember asking my mother-in-law for her recipe. She wrote it out for me. I made it, and it wasn't "right". She conveniently left out a key ingredient.

Wasn't the first time, not the last. Why do women DO that? So they can be the queen of the kitchen???

No, I didn't make them today. But I'll be in DR for Semana Santa, and will definitely make it then.

i stay away from them, and others who eat them. i don't own a gas mask

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
AE, I didn't make it today but I will during Semana Santa.You are right, many do not like to give
their recipes when asked,so they omit an ingredient.That has happened to me many times.

But through trial and error I've perfected the recipe.:)

By the way,I prefer to eat mine hot.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I'm a fan, but of the light version made with semi-skimmed milk and much less sugar. Aunt Clara also makes a diabetic version with Splenda.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
The beans are pureed.I've given some habichuelas con dulce to a few friends of mine and asked them if they can guess what the main ingredient is and not one of them was able to tell.
They were surprised when I told them what it was.They said it does not taste like beans.

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I'm a fan, but of the light version made with semi-skimmed milk and much less sugar. Aunt Clara also makes a diabetic version with Splenda.

Last year I made it with Splenda for the first time. Neither of us is diabetic, but both our fathers were, so we avoid added sugar. I added it at the end instead of cooking it in, really couldn't tell the difference.

And to those who have never tasted it - NOTHING like beans, it's like a pudding. Dessert-like.