Can anyone get me under group insurance plan?

JessicaRabbit

Sep 21, 2009
I dont know how its called correct in english, but i have heard that i can join with someone who has corporative insuarance or something like that and it is supposed to be cheaper then normally is. I need it for my family of 3 adults and a child.

Thank you!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
jessica, i am no expert but i am not sure what you are asking for is possible. some companies offer a special insurance plan for their workers - other than the basic plan everyone needs to be in. for example all workers of banco popular are affiliated with universal with possible one of the best plans i have ever seen. they only pay some modest amount per month and the rest is covered by BP. or so it seems because i am sure at the end of the day the employee pays everything anyway and their salaries sans all perks and benefits would be much higher.

what i mean here is that the insurance plan is cheaper because you are an employee. the company pays your costs and benefits and then your actual wages, now reduced. what you are asking for is for someone to pretend to employ you so you can pay this smaller chunk of the insurance costs. but then it will come at a cost to them, because they have to pay the difference without obtaining anything for you. see where i'm going?

what you can do is incorporate yourself. i believe one of the posters here explained it before, you can look it up in older insurance threads. basically you start a company. so to speak and enter a government insurance plan. this is effective immediately, for what i understand (with a normal insurance you need to wait 3 months before it kicks in). but i do not know what is the coverage there.

i did mention that a friend of ours is with universal - herself, hubby, two kids and a nanny - and she pays about 3.000 pesos a month. she has a good plan with many perks. family plans run cheaper per person that individual plans. you can reduce the costs further by choosing a complimentary plan with some options completely wiped out. say, no maternity coverage, if you do not plan on any more kids. no dental, no medicine, whatever takes your fancy.

i hope it helped.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
there is a quote i was looking for:

Jacob, one important thing is, that there is waiting period in a health insurance in the DR, UNLESS you have emergency OR you contribute to TSS and have health insurance via your employer via TSS. Usually, waiting period is: emergency - immediately (most of health insurance, but some have waiting period 1 month), lab work and doctor's consultations (outpatient care) - 1 month or 2 months, specialized exams - 3 to 6 months, ambulatory procedures - 6 months, and elective (meaning non-emergency) surgery 12 months. What this means is that during the first 12 month of your health insurance you can basically only get covered minor health incidents and emergency care, and any emergency surgery that may arise out of the emergency situation. Anything that is non life-threatening and can be postponed will NOT be covered by th DR health insurance in the first 12 months of your plan, for voluntary (private) plans.

IF you have residency, and cedula, AND are employee (even by your own company) you can (and should when employed) contribute to TSS (tesoreria de seguridad social) and you will get BASIC health plan with immediate coverage (1200 pesos room, 90% up to 1800, 80% of inpatient and outpatient care, pharmacy, etc.). Not only you but your spouse as well, as well as any underage children, without paying and additional contributions.

But the VERY NICE POINT comes here that you can pay a SUPPLEMENT (very minor cost) and you will get additional coverage. For example, with ARS CONSTITUCION (the 4th largest health insurance company) you get TSS coverage (same in all insurace companies) but for a supplement of RD$100 per month you get same coverage as their 2nd best private plan, and for RD$200 per month supplement get coverage same as their best private plan.

Health insurance via TSS contributions PLUS a supplement through a private insurance IS MUCH MUCH BETTER than any PRIVATE VOLUNTARY health insurance plan. ALSO, there are NO WAITING PERIODS, meaning after you start contributing to TSS and get your insurance card, you can undergo open-heart surgery without any waiting period!!!! With a private insurance plan (in the same health insurance company) you would need to wait 12 months.

Jan 17, 2009
How can you possibly get into someone else's insurance plan? I've heard this being done for Dominicans living together, and they have to get a paper signed in front of a notary, but for three adults and a child? Sounds like a very strange proposition.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
First, if I would be a company I would never add strangers to my insurance plan.

Second, what if you get "into ones plan" and this company doesn't pay the fees or goes bankrupt / out of business?

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
People don't have to be nor pretend to be employees to get into a private plan. Anyone can do it. We have 4 "outsiders in our plan" As long as the premiums are paid, the insurance company don't care. Talk to a broker and they might fit you in an existing plan. Humano, they say, is he tops in the DR.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
there is outsider and outsider. i'd be fine to include best friend or workers. but a total stranger? no way. the main members pays the entire sum so the outsider would have to pay their part back in cash. the question is: would he/she? and even bigger question is: would the insurance really be paid by the member?

too many ifs here. i think, jess, that you should try a good family plan for all of you. it should not be super expensive and you will know 100% sure all is paid and you have a coverage...