damaged lap top screen

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
I accidentally closed my lap top with a pen sitting on the keyboard which damaged the screen such that it was nearly unreadable. I went online and found a replacement screen for $55 no tax, free shipping. Went to utube and watched a video on how to change out the screen. Voila, I am now looking at my brand new screen which is much brighter than the old. All you need is a set of small screw drivers. I am only a little mechanical and I was able to do it. Sooooooo, if you do the same dumb thing its not the end of the world. Wonderful thing that utube.

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
I once got a flat tire, I didn't know how to change the tire, so I went on "utube" as well, and learned to change my own tire.

PS: my car is in the DR, so it's Dominican related.

Leines

Jan 27, 2013
You can YouTube or google a tutorial for just about everything and any problem...... Just plug the problem word for word into google and within in the first ten links you'll have your answer....

"when in doubt, goggle it out!"

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
I accidentally closed my lap top with a pen sitting on the keyboard which damaged the screen such that it was nearly unreadable. I went online and found a replacement screen for $55 no tax, free shipping. Went to utube and watched a video on how to change out the screen. Voila, I am now looking at my brand new screen which is much brighter than the old. All you need is a set of small screw drivers. I am only a little mechanical and I was able to do it. Sooooooo, if you do the same dumb thing its not the end of the world. Wonderful thing that utube.

$55 is very cheap even in US. Did you buy them in DR? I foresee one of my old DELL is going to need screen replacement or new inverter soon. I have done mods and repairs forever and most laptop isn't that hard to take apart.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
I posted this because in the DR its often very difficult and expensive to repair a computer. I bought the screen on the net and was surprised to see an installation video available. Being able to do it myself saved me a lot of money. I think there are DR1unners who would be surprised by this. In the DR people are dependent on mail order. Hows that? DR related enough for all of you who have nothing to do but find fault and whine! Who made you moderators?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Zoomer??? Where did you get the screen. Laptop screens are very sensitive to the odd touch or scrape and I really appreciate this post of yours. I know that newegg and tigerdirect will not handle anything with a Dominican IPO so I wonder who it was that sent you screen.

Thanks,

HB

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I know that newegg and tigerdirect will not handle anything with a Dominican IPO so I wonder who it was that sent you screen.

Thanks,

HB
That's exactly why I research and buy from Amazon & ebay for electronics & parts.

You can buy from TD, but you need to speak with a human to get the order placed without their system nixing it. Newegg? Pretty stubborn. Musta got burned Big Time in the past...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i had my laptop for over five years now, i think. good old dell. replaced the battery, hard drive and most recently the keyboard. a friend did all the work for me. says it is easy when you know how :)
i think it is worth investing some cash if you can get a bit more life out of your machine. they are not exactly made to last.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
The best price I found was from Brown Granite. They are in Union City NJ. Their Ebay id is browngranite. Phone is 201 330 0477. They were no tax, no shipping and sent it USPS priority so I got it right away. I am stuck in Houston for now and had it sent there. If you guys need anything forwarded to the DR I do not mind doing it. I guess I got it from Ebay. I buy online wherever possible. Only had one problem and pay pal reimbursed me when the seller took my $ and ignored my emails. I think Amazon has started adding tax to sales here in Texas.

Last edited:

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
i had my laptop for over five years now, i think. good old dell. replaced the battery, hard drive and most recently the keyboard. a friend did all the work for me. says it is easy when you know how :)
i think it is worth investing some cash if you can get a bit more life out of your machine. they are not exactly made to last.
Most people overlook how importance of hard drive in their system. Everyone think bigger is better but not in this case. If your computer/laptop has SATA port, replacing hard drive with SSD drive for $100-$120 will do wonder for most of the system. Its a relatively cheap for big upgrade. I highly recommand it.

Lothario666

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
That's exactly why I research and buy from Amazon & ebay for electronics & parts.

You can buy from TD, but you need to speak with a human to get the order placed without their system nixing it. Newegg? Pretty stubborn. Musta got burned Big Time in the past...

Tiger Direct told me they will not ship to a "Freight Forwarder", they flatly refused.

"R"

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
You can YouTube or google a tutorial for just about everything and any problem...... Just plug the problem word for word into google and within in the first ten links you'll have your answer....

"when in doubt, goggle it out!"

Better yet.................Bing it !

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
The best price I found was from Brown Granite. They are in Union City NJ. Their Ebay id is browngranite. Phone is 201 330 0477. They were no tax, no shipping and sent it USPS priority so I got it right away. I am stuck in Houston for now and had it sent there. If you guys need anything forwarded to the DR I do not mind doing it. I guess I got it from Ebay. I buy online wherever possible. Only had one problem and pay pal reimbursed me when the seller took my $ and ignored my emails. I think Amazon has started adding tax to sales here in Texas.

I used to work near Union City. Traffic really sucks all the time but, it isn't that bad place to work.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Tiger Direct told me they will not ship to a "Freight Forwarder", they flatly refused.

"R"
I bought my current Dell from them, and they shipped it to EPS in Miami. Their "system" rejected the order, but a human got it through...