calling shooting experts here, need some advice

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
dearest and nearest, long story short my rottie was shot at. a whole magazine, by what i could make out. i ain't so smart with guns but this one was a tiny revolver, real small.
i see no blood and no nada but matilda says the dog might have been shot without bleeding.
any advice? should i feel her up? the dog, not matilda, i mean?
what should i be looking for? can she be hurt?
help.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Check every inch of the dog, look into the fur well, to see if is any mark at all. If it was a small caliber gun, like a .22 or .25, would be a small hole and a rottie might still be walking and looking somewhat normal.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
at this time of the night i'll be lucky to find one. and i am home alone. with a very small car. and a very big dog. i think just trying to fit her inside would give me a chance to grope every part of her body... :(
anyway, i tied her up and had a good feel. nothing i can tell. no blood anywhere, she shows no signs of pain, no holes in the skin and no bumps.

vacanodr

Jun 10, 2012
dearest and nearest, long story short my rottie was shot at. a whole magazine, by what i could make out. i ain't so smart with guns but this one was a tiny revolver, real small.
i see no blood and no nada but matilda says the dog might have been shot without bleeding.
any advice? should i feel her up? the dog, not matilda, i mean?
what should i be looking for? can she be hurt?
help.

1. Check the dog all over for any blood or entry wounds.
2. Get her to a vet asap. There could be a very small bullet that will harm her over time. Some bullets are so small that people or animals can function on without knowing they have been shot. There are stories of people being shot with very small arms and not even knowing it! It just feels like a staple stapled you real quick and you could keep going and die at a later time. There are stories of people being shot and beating up and killing the shooter of the small arms. Small bullets from small arms do not kill in many cases if they don't hit a vital spot.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
tomorrow i will wash her well and give her a thorough check. if i see anything suspicious she'll go to the vet.

it's unbelievable that someone can get shot and now know it. darn! just when you think: uff, they missed, i am safe...
amazing.

May 5, 2007
Do you know if it was a rifle or handgun? If it was a rifle it was likely a .22 and not a .25, unfortunately the .22 is more dangerous than the .22 . I am not aware of any .25 rifles but could be (short anecdote about .25. Marine Colonel decides to end it all at fancy ball, goes upstairs and puts.25 Beretta in his ear and fires, big bang and “wack” in side of head. Shoots again in exact same place, nadda. Goes downstairs and only way anyone notices Is there is blood dripping from ear. First bullet hit bone, second impacted on first with no further penetration. .25 is very low speed small caliber round with little energy)

I would rub every square inch of her body with soft white toilet paper and look for telltale blood. If she has been wounded and doesn’t display any outward signs she likely will still “flinch” and or guard when you vigorously rub over an injured area

If you have any real indication she may have been wounded, get her in for an X Ray ASAAP

May 5, 2007
I reread your post and see you said revolver, I'm dumb :rolleyes: If it were more than 6 shot I am thinking .22, but doesn't really matter as you don't know what path bullet might take. Dogs tend to show pain more than cats, but of she is a"big" (little extra padding) Rottie, she could have been hit just under skin, in fatty area etc and doesn't really show anything but I'm sure you know infection is areal issue, especially with .22 as they are externally lubricated and exceptionally prone to infection

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
it was a real tiny thingy like something strapped to the tight of a bond girl. toilet paper is a good idea. i think if i rub her nicely tomorrow while washing i will see if there is any blood on white shampoo froth.

Jenny429

Oct 10, 2005
Ok.. who was the shooter? What happened? I am so sorry!! :( I lost my baby who was a German Shepard/Boxer mix to a two gun shots to the throat.. :( Good luck!! I hope they missed her.
Jen

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
it si a long story. totally my fault... i walked the dogs alone and they are so difficult to control... there is a house along our normal route with a small yapping dog. she often runs outside the gate, barks at our dogs, runs after them and so on. i was passing by... a guy opened the gate right in front of us and stepped out. dogs pulled towards him... and they saw and heard the yapper about a meter behind that dude. they pulled, i let go or else i'd be dragged like dead weight behind them...
they broke the mosquito net and one run inside the house, i grabbed the other one by the butt...
while i saw securing mommy her daughter gave the a joyful chase around the living room. i say, good that folks like the clutter because my rottie had a difficult time navigating around. i will only add that all this without barking or signs of aggression but with happy tail wagging...
in any case, after i had one tied up outside i entered the house and was just about to reach for the fool while the guy inside the house empties his gun at her... i do not blame him, in a way... but he knew my dogs and me and he knew no one was inside that room apart from my dog coz the yapper run away and all people scattered like chickens as soon as the screen went down...

in any case, no more lonely walks. possibly no more walks full stop...

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
look at the gums of your dog... they should be pink or red, push on them, and if they return immediately to the original color there should be no internal bleeding. Do it every hour for a couple of hours

BelgianK

OkieJoe

Feb 15, 2013
I've been around more than a few gunshot wounds. Even small calibers will have an indicator (bleeding swelling, weeping, heat). Run your hand down the dog and smell your hand, I know this sounds weird, but blood and internal fluids have a distinct smell lol. If none of these are present and your pups acting normal, you should be in the clear. Joe

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
when you wipe the pooch down with the paper towel or white cloth, moisten it to where it's damp but not dripping. if the wound has scabbed over, you'll still get a red or pink streak when the wet cloth passes over it. go gently... not too rough, if he/she was shot, the area of the wound will be very sore no matter how small the bullet is.

in those stories of people being shot but seemingly unaffected, that's more an effect of the adrenalin. as soon as the adrenalin subsides, they'll know they're shot... even if it's a .22

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
she's fine, i think. i lathered her with shampoo so much she looked like an abominable snowdog. rubbed and scrubbed everywhere including some places i don't normally wash :) no blood, no scabs, no wounds, no swelling, no bruising. no signs of pain or discomfort. apart from resigned looks she was giving me ;)

thank you to all. this board is full of knowledgeable folks.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
glad to hear it. Most people are not very good shots, especially with a pistol and a moving target. If the dog had been hit you would know it by now so you can relax. You both are lucky.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i always read that a small run like this is only good at a very close range and stable target. and my goggie was a tail wagging, butt swinging black dog in a dark interior.
as i know nada about guns i do not know if this is true :) but i remember all too well famous last line attributed to the general john sedgwick: they couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
glad to hear it. Most people are not very good shots, especially with a pistol and a moving target. If the dog had been hit you would know it by now so you can relax. You both are lucky.
One needs to worry about those bouncing bullets, however...