charitable foundations in dr

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
I am a Puerto Rican American living in northeast USA that has inherited 85 acres of land in the Dominican Republic. I would like to use the land to found a museum dedicated to the name of my deceased dad. I would like to create a non-profit charitable museum foundation for this purpose. What do I need to do? What are the barriers/obstacles? Is my idea viable? :confused: Thank you.
----------------------------------------------------

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
I am a Puerto Rican American living in northeast USA that has inherited 85 acres of land in the Dominican Republic. I would like to use the land to found a museum dedicated to the name of my deceased dad. I would like to create a non-profit charitable museum foundation for this purpose. What do I need to do? What are the barriers/obstacles? Is my idea viable? :confused: Thank you.

This should be in the legal section because you'll need the advice of a lawyer

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
Thanks Frank. Now why am I having difficulty posting in the legal section. I open up legal forum link and I don't see posting options.

Jabe

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
I am a Puerto Rican American living in northeast USA that has inherited 85 acres of land in the Dominican Republic. I would like to use the land to found a museum dedicated to the name of my deceased dad. I would like to create a non-profit charitable foundation for this purpose. Can you refer me to reliable resources that can inform me in this regard. Thank you.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Humm 85 acres = about 520 tareas?
A lot depends on where it is and what kind of a museun you want to establish.

There are lots of foundations and non-profits in the Dominican Republic.

If the land is free and clear; is not being squatted on and has an "interesting location", it Might be a viable option
for starting a museum...

So the key question is: Where is the land located????

Cordially,

HB

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
Thanks for your reply HB. Your conversion to tareas is right on. The museum theme is unique in nature, relative to the Dominican culture and region and, in my mind, the location is ideal.

Some questions: While a non-resident cannot register a formal business, can he/she register a non-profit museum foundation?

Also, I've noticed that you reply to many different forum posts. What is Moderator status?

Jabe

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Also, I've noticed that you reply to many different forum posts. What is Moderator status?

Moderator status is just a title given to the resident "cat herders" that keep order on this site.

HB is without a doubt, the most knowledgeable, experienced, and respected ex-pat member of this site, his advice is priceless.

You should get a reply from your legal section post from Dr. Guzman, the resident abogado.

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
I'm a cat that needs a lot of herding. I like this forum resource: I didn't know it existed. It is well developed. Gold seems like an important status too. Thanks again.

Last edited:
May 29, 2006
85 acres is a big chunk of land. Any chance you want to donate a couple acres to an orphanage? There are about 20 young girls in need of a home.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Probably the first logical step before the transfer of title to a "compa?ia sin fines de lucro" (even if it hasn't been created) is to see if the property has had a deslinde. If it hasn't it could easily take a couple of years given the size and depending on the location and how many challenges the process might have.

As far as a museum as a "negocio rentable" that too would depend on a number of factors, but given the fact that museums charge very little here it might make economic sense to sell off a portion of the property so that the profits of the museum can cover the operation costs.

BTW, I'm an engineer and am building an orphanage in Sosua so if you need any advice let me know.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Thanks Peter!!! I "think" we have found some 1500 m2 in a good location with empty and unuseable spaces out back and in front.

We will soon be announcing (God willing, of course) a fund-raising banquet here in Santiago. At least that is on the drawing board at this time. Nothing out of sight but a first step. I will be meeting with the board members this week to see just where we are, and will keep this board posted as to progress in another thread.

I am betting that Mr. Guzman will tell our OP that a non-resident can set up a private NGO/Foundation and start a museum...

The location of this land is going to be a key matter. If this land is in Buttcrack Creek Hollow it might not fund a lean-to. If it is in metropolitan Santo Domingo, it might have 80 or 100 families squatting on it right now.

Remember that people that do not live here think that a piece of paper is what it says it is. Reality is what IS.

Let's go slow as molassas on this one..

Mr. Guzman?

HB

A mod is somebody charged with trying to keep flaming to a minimum; intellectual acuity to a maximum and not get frustrated. Wud is a Super Mod and he is like the Arcangel Michael, next to God, he is supreme...

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
Buttcrack Creek Hollow???? U truly r a Hillbilly. Where r u from HB? Regarding the land, I've been intimate with the land to varying degrees for more than 20 yrs. There are no squatters. It is rural, but not what I would consider remote. It is easily accessible by local city and tourist hotel communities. There are no squatters (the land has a caretaker). As far as molassas runoffs, I am well-experienced in DR government and legal system quagmires. I'm knee deep in the s___ as I type. Everything is under control though, at least as much as it can be at a distance of 1560 miles (2160 kilometers). I think joining this forum reduces the virtual distance.

Jabe

P.S. Donating land for a worthy cause is plausible. However, doing so at this point would not be in line with the molassas concept (-; Also, deslinde will start sometime in the upcoming months. Thanks all, and keep the 411 coming.

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
Thanks for responding to my post Chip. I'm not to comfortable with the "transfer of title to a "compa?ia sin fines de lucro"" idea. The "negocio rentable" implies keeping the title in my name, this is the way I would like to go. Explain "negocio rentable" please.

Jabe

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
Thanks Hlywud. I'm familiar w/online forums and discussion boards as an educator and online student. I've not participated in one formally, however. If there are any conventions/protocols that I do not adhere to, please advise. I want improve my skills.

Jabe

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Javier/Xavier -Jabe? Juventus: Where do you think? "Coalminer's daughter" is my theme song: West (By God!) Virginia!!

Okay..you seem to have the bases covered. Good Luck...

HB

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Thanks for responding to my post Chip. I'm not to comfortable with the "transfer of title to a "compa?ia sin fines de lucro"" idea. The "negocio rentable" implies keeping the title in my name, this is the way I would like to go. Explain "negocio rentable" please.

Jabe

I'm no expert on legal matters but it would seem to make sense if you are going to run this as a non profit the non profit organization would need to control the property, hence the transfer comment. If you want to run this as a private company you will have to pay taxes.

As far as the "negocio rentable" I merely meant to infer that the museum needs to generate sufficient income to cover it's operating costs not that it should be generating a great deal of profit - otherwise it would just be an expensive hobby for you.

With this in mind, I would research the entry fees at the museums in the country and then add that input to your business plan. If you don't have a professional to help you with your business plan I'll be glad to offer you as much free advice as possible.