DR1 on your iPad

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I just opened the forum on my iPad and I got a pop up telling me that there is an app for the forum. I clicked on the link and it took me to an app in the App Store called Tapatalk. It's not a free app. They're asking $4.99. Anyone tried it?

Big_Poppi2

Mar 30, 2008
Aguilas Cibae?as
www.facebook.com
Hola, Beeza, I am such a newbie to the ipad/phone I haven't added almost any apps, except the ones my kids use for learning. However, I will look to see if this happens to me also and thanks for the heads up! God bless, take care,
Biggs

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Probably Robert will make big bucks with the IOS app, and will give away the Android app for free :D

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
The worst thing is it appears every time you open dr1 forums on iPad of iPhone (and the app is not available for iPhone). I pay for many apps that have real added value, but would never pay for an app that let's you read a forum, less when they cost 4,99.

Jan 17, 2009
I only saw this one, not every time I open DR1 forums on my iPad, which is pretty much several times a day every day. I'm not about to pay $5 to read the forums using an app when I can do that via Safari.

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
The worst thing is it appears every time you open dr1 forums on iPad of iPhone (and the app is not available for iPhone). I pay for many apps that have real added value, but would never pay for an app that let's you read a forum, less when they cost 4,99.

Same thing, the alert pops up all the time on iphone and ipad. Annoying as hell. Very doubtful a few sold apps will compensate for resulting loss of traffic from mobile devices of people who will find it too annoying to use.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Same thing, the alert pops up all the time on iphone and ipad. Annoying as hell. Very doubtful a few sold apps will compensate for resulting loss of traffic from mobile devices of people who will find it too annoying to use.

This is not a DR1 app. It is an app for reading forums. I use forum runner to read some other forums and may DL taptalk as well. Sure you can read DR1 in the normal safari browser so keep doing that. I dig the forums apps as I log in to one app and am logged into all forums that support that app.

DR1 doesn't get a cut. It is likely that a new version of the forums software DR1 uses now supports the app. In fact I thin I will DL it now and see what else is available on it.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Wow, I was offered it for $2.99, has the price gone up that quickly?? I didn't buy it either. Yet.

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
I use my samsung galaxy phone for everything! I paid $2.99 for the tapatalk app and it makes reading, reaponding with and without quotes so much easier. I have very happy with the app.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Wow, I was offered it for $2.99, has the price gone up that quickly?? I didn't buy it either. Yet.

iPhone and iPad apps are different pricing.
DR1 does not get a cut, we are just testing it right now.

As has been stated by rafael you can still browse the forum with any free browser, Apptalk just makes it a lot easier if you're on a mobile device.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
I purchased tapatalk for my iPhone....
It makes the forum much more user friendly for the mobile platform. The last two days, I've not even bothered to log in from the computer.

First, login information can be saved

yhehy8un.jpg

The interface provides three tabs, unread, participated, and all threads

a8uzyma9.jpg

Threads are displayed as below...

u3ahu9uh.jpg

Tapping on the screen provides options for replying and quoting...

py3epuqu.jpg

y4yretu6.jpg

The main thing I see missing from here are the like/dislike buttons.

When writing a message as I am now, there are options to take a photo and include it in the post by clicking on the camera button (see the current cloudy sky?

na6yvybe.jpg

ta5azepy.jpg

The super part, is that the app actually uploads any images saved on your device or new photos you take and inserts the link automatically into your post.

Search option is available

besysunu.jpg

Images in posts are viewable as you see below by clicking to view them full size

punyry6e.jpg

4emytajy.jpg

There are also buttons to tweet posts, share on Facebook, etc

Overall, I find it to be very functional. This post was made from tapatalk on an iPhone.

In summary, the app makes this and other forums a very nice experience on a mobile device. Threads are more easily accessed, easier to view, and posting (even with images) is quick and easy.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
iPhone and iPad apps are different pricing.
DR1 does not get a cut, we are just testing it right now.

Question then...... All my iphone apps are in iTunes, and when I got my iPad for Christmas I just plugged it into my laptop and all the apps automatically switched over to the iPad.

So - are the apps for the iPad and iPhone different? Would I have to buy BOTH of them, or can I just do what I've done with everything else, buy for iPhone and share?

Last edited by a moderator:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i sometimes look at dr1 on my alcatel one touch. or whatever it is called. never had a problem operating the forum including logging in, responding to messages and viewing inbox. i did not even know there are apps for forums...

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Tapatalk is very good app if you spend a lot of time on messaging boards. But I just can't justify myself spending $5 for app I rarely use. If I was owning or member of a mod I would definitely get it. For those who uses it very little it just get too annoying if mod don't turn off that popup.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Just a heads up on this - it's now a FREE APP. I tried it over the weekend on my iPhone, and I like it a lot.

Check it out if you read DR1 on an iPad or phone with apps.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I have downloaded a while ago on iphone and ipad...it's a good app, but for some reason I keep reading dr1 in safari. Maybe because I use the New Posts button a lot and am too lazy to check if I can do the same in the app.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I have downloaded a while ago on iphone and ipad...it's a good app, but for some reason I keep reading dr1 in safari. Maybe because I use the New Posts button a lot and am too lazy to check if I can do the same in the app.

On tapatalk, the new threads with new posts show up first, and as you read them, they are removed from the queue. And if someone quotes something you've said in a post, you get a popup.

Yesterday I wanted to 'like' a post, and didn't see that link, but then noticed a 'click here to view in Safari' and when I did that I was able to 'like' the post.