Iberostar Dominicana

E

Eileen

Have you stayed at the Iberostar Dominicana? If so, what was it like?

Do you know anyone who has stayed in the Dominican Republic over Easter and Holy Week? I hear they there are no motorized sports that week and the possibility that there might be no alcohol. My travel agent told me this

Can someone verify that?

S

Sofy's B&B

Looks like your travel agent never came to the D.R. during this period or never as far as I am concerned... I would recommend that you change travel agent! and have no fear ... of running out of rum nor beer during this period of the year.... D.R. never goes/went dry!!!! Cheers and enjoy...

P

Pib

Sofy's B&B: what a concept!

The DR going dry! Wow girl! that's something I thought I'd only hear from Stephen King.

G

Grahame Bush

Watersports facilities close down on the Good Friday & open again on (normally) the Tuesday after. Playa Dorada gets very busy with beach goers & swimmers over that weekend & as a result it would be dangerous to have motorised watersport nachines being used by sometimes inexperienced drivers. Keeps the place safe for everyone.

Noelle is absolutely right - Running out of beer, rum, alcoholic beverages of ANY form, is against the law here!!!! Failure to have drink on your counter top or in the fridges/freezers will land you in SERIOUS trouble with local, tourists AND ESPECIALLY the police patroling thre area!!

The other law - YOU WILL HAVE FUN here at any time, Easter is no exception. Change your travel agent or at least get them to get in touch with those of us who know what we are talking about!! Hearsay from disgruntled clients trying to get a refund on what they paid out, is NOT what to base their information on!!

Come & enjoy - Grahame Bush.

M

Mary Kohn

Way back in the days of the dinosaurs, Good Friday in the DR was the time we went to the beach to celebrate the end of the winter season. We went to Sosua. I got a terrible sun burn. My dad went snorkeling. There is plenty of shade. I just didn't use it.
Hope you go. The ocean is beautiful.

M

Marc

I have to chuckle at the thought of this country being out of alcohol. Power we can do without, but not baseball or alcohol!

On the other hand, though, depending on how long you are going to be here I may not recommend Holy Week (Samana Santa). If 4 of your 7 days here are during this period, you may be disappointed. The beaches are absolutely packed with Dominicans during this time, from all over the island. It takes weeks to clean the Sosua reef from all the trash that is left behind after this all out party, and the roads are more dangerous than usual with all the impaired drivers. Also, if you are the type to go on excursions, these may be limited during this period.

A lot of the locals here get very far away from the beach when Samana Santa rolls around! You will love the country, regardless of when you come, but you may enjoy it more sometime other than Samana Santa. Just don't worry about the alcohol thing.

marc