Safest city/region in the DR

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
What city or region in the DR would be the safest with regard to violent crime and home invasions (for a white family from Europe)? Any thoughts?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
If you are that paranoid/worried about living in the DR, DON,T COME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You will never feel safe.
Cris Colon
Just out of curiosity,where in Europe are you from???

vacanodr

Jun 10, 2012

I saw more in Santiago than anywhere else. I saw three ladrones with my own eyes on separate occasions in neighbors' homes and leaving them. I also was in my house when two separate ladrones shot people. My brother was shot in the foot at a colmado a year ago. I personally do not think Santiago is the safest.

vacanodr

Jun 10, 2012
Having lives in ghettos and dangerous places in the USA, I feel right at home and never get phased by danger in the DR. It is there but the chances of something happening are low if you are alert and do not do anything stupid.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Certainly most of Santiago. There is La Vega and Moca, Jarabacoa, Mao....unless you are decadent, luxury type show offs, then you become a target no matter where you live.

What makes things difficult it the near-demand to be instantly accepted into society, and in these societies, that is not going to happen. You need to go slow...and you will be accepted--if you have any couth whatsoever--and then society will look out for you...to a degree certainly.

And I agree with Chiri, Punta Cana, while not really the DR is probably one of the safer area...as is La Romana to my mind...

HB

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
I saw more in Santiago than anywhere else. I saw three ladrones with my own eyes on separate occasions in neighbors' homes and leaving them. I also was in my house when two separate ladrones shot people. My brother was shot in the foot at a colmado a year ago. I personally do not think Santiago is the safest.

Living in and around Santiago, I have never had a problem. I hear stories such as yours but have never been the victim of anything other than an aggressive window washer at a stop light. All these violent incidents and stories are outside of my social circle. I don't know where you live or with whom you associate but I would change both.

Amu

Oct 4, 2010
Living in and around Santiago, I have never had a problem. I hear stories such as yours but have never been the victim of anything other than an aggressive window washer at a stop light. All these violent incidents and stories are outside of my social circle. I don't know where you live or with whom you associate but I would change both.

preach!!!!!!! im a santiaguero and i've never been mugged, and neither have a single one of my family members.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi:

I live in gated community in Las Terrenas. It is called Don Cesar. There are many French and Italian who live here. I have an apartment and feel very comfortable when I go back to the states to lock it up and walk away. I am on the third floor and at night I can leave my windows and sliding glass doors to the balcony open and not fear any problems. If you are thinking of relocating here do not buy a home. Rent first, check out the area and then make a decision. You were right to ask the question. Security should be your number one priority in deciding where to live. In Las Terrenas, French, Spanish, Italian and English are widely spoken. There is also a French and English School. This is a great area for Europeans to come and live. Check out www.lasterrenslive.com.

LTSteve

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

change social circle? have you suggested that idea to the family of the college student, daughter of a prominent physician, who was shot dead by a gang of 3, for her cellphone? in Santiago. maybe that family should move to the barrio, and hang out with the hoodlums. now there's a change for ya.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
change social circle? have you suggested that idea to the family of the college student, daughter of a prominent physician, who was shot dead by a gang of 3, for her cellphone? in Santiago. maybe that family should move to the barrio, and hang out with the hoodlums. now there's a change for ya.

Its isolated Mr Gloom and Doom,Take precautions. As we all know it can and does happen everywhere.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I agree that your "Social Circle", and where you live, are important factors in your safety here in the DR.
"Important", but not the ONLY factor.
Just two of many.
Many times, crimes, are crimes of opportunity.
You just happen to be in the "Right Place", but at the wrong time.
If a thief wants to rob/mug someone, they go to where their victims are most likely to have what they want.
"So Called",."Ricos", and "Extranjeros" HAVE what they want!
I have been coming here since 1986, and living here since 1995.
I have never been robbed, or mugged.
BUT, I doubt that neither has "HillBilly" in over 50 tears!
But then, WE look like the "Muggers", NOT the "Mugees"!
If you look like a "Victim", you are more likely to become a victim!
Being "Street Smart", and using "Common Sense", (If You have ANY) are probably more important than your "Social Circle", and where you live.
Often, when those of us who have lived here for a while, read the details of how some foreigner was robbed, we say, "WTF" were they thinking?????
We would never put ourselves in THAT situation!
Thieves are not smarter than their victims, they just have more practice!
"Stay Safe"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
simple law of the jungle... a predator always goes for the easy prey. just make yourself not so easy. common sense works wonders.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Its isolated Mr Gloom and Doom,Take precautions. As we all know it can and does happen everywhere.

does not appear to me that you are numbered among those who know, since you suggest that it is a product of where one lives, and with whom one associates. after all, you are the poster who suggests that he should change both.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
does not appear to me that you are numbered among those who know, since you suggest that it is a product of where one lives, and with whom one associates. after all, you are the poster who suggests that he should change both.

My city, neighborhood and region is safe. Day and night. You keep dodging those ax murderers, flim-flam artists and crazed hookers and keep us updated. Those are the "stories" people love.

Jan 3, 2003

I agree with you. The DR is a much less safer place than what it used to be. I currently live in Miami and have not been back since Jan 2012. I don't feel the DR really offers me anything more than what I have here in Miami, NYC and some select European cities. I am Dominican and don't really seem to care if I don't go at all this year either. And I know many Dominicans well to do and not that feel the same way.

There is one particular friend of mine who would never allow me to speak not even one negative against the DR. This character who is also Dominican would travel many times a year to the DR and sounded just like pauleast. He has changed his tune drastically. He still travels but not as frequently. He also is the first in a conversation to state many negatives concerning the DR.

So, that just shows you how the psychology amongst many "MI PAIS" Dominicans has radically changed. Many no longer as I do feel safe in their home country. And many of us are in no rush to go back home whether it's for a short visit or an indefinite stay-rich and poor alike!!!