Bad Flood

mart1n

Jul 13, 2006
Martin Alonzo near Luperon North coast. The rain started at 11:00 pm 17/02/2013 and is still raining at 4:40 the houses have 4 feet of water inside. Many people stranded and can not get out of their homes. The whole village has a water problem and we are not near a river. I am only guessing but I think we have had more than 4 feet of rain as I have a empty pool that is over 4 feet deep with no water flowing in to it and it is full now.

Feb 4, 2013
Wow is that possible, 4 feet of rain!! I would think that would be a guiness book record. Do have any pics? Your date do you mean Feb or March?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
24" in a 24 hour period is off the chart as far as rainfall goes, therefore it is unlikely (barring a hurricane) that even 8" of rain could have fallen in less than 6 hours. I would expect that the terrain is causing the rain to accumulate.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
it is possible in some areas: heavy rainfall, saturated ground, water backing from sewage and so on. some areas are prone to flooding and because of poor construction and planning of barrios the water rises very fast.

mart1n

Jul 13, 2006
Corrections and photos I measured the pool and it is 3 feet deep with no water flowing into it. The small pool has a crack so it was empty when the rain started and ended up flowing over the top. The old swimming pool has a two inch drain in the bottom which is open. The picture of the road the water had dropped at lest 3 or more feet before the photo. The picture of the field one just one of many that had standing water we have not had rain in over a week. We normally get very little rain as we are surrounded on three sides with mountains and large hills.
mart1n5's Library | Photobucket

Last edited:
May 29, 2006
I saw some of the effects of the small hurricane in 2011 that hit Vermont and NY. What can happen is the flood can cause a river to get blocked with trees and debris miles upstream(usually at a bridge) and then it's diverted through a residential area.

In one town, I saw whole buildings picked up off of their foundations and there was prob less than a foot of rain in the storm~ the water line was about 6 feet above ground level. I'd say at least half of the buildings were destroyed in one village I passed through.

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
flooding can be very localized. when i first came here i lived briefly in torre alta in POP. after a very heavy rain few streets were flooded with maybe 50 cm of water, more in lower areas. the next street would be barely wet...

mart1n

Jul 13, 2006
The government came to the aid and plowed a road through the three feet of lose sand and gravel to clear the road and started to cart away the sand and gravel to fix the roads. Then the greed started with people wanting the sand and gravel delivered to their houses it finally got to a point where the government gave up and left. It is a real shame that when people come to help the greed of some spoils it for the community.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Mart", you were expecting anything different?????
Just ask yourself, each morning when you wake up,..."Where Am I"?????????????????????????
Then you will not ever expect anything different!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC