Porcelain BathTubs...repair/reporcelain

caribeman

Dec 26, 2011
Enjoy meeting new people/cultures
I have some sad looking bath tubs...Anyone have any ideas where between Pto Pta and rio San Juan that works on restoration, stripping, reporcelain..whatever you would call it here? I am kind of attached to my old metal ones(literally..as I don't want to tear out all the ceramic surround).

Or, I am on a wild good chase?

May 29, 2006
There are two part epoxy paints that work on tubs, but you will need to let it cure for 2-3 days. You also need to strip the hardware off of the tub. Be sure to give the tub a light sanding before painting and to remove any soap residue.

I did a claw-foot tub renovation a couple years back where I plumbed in a shower system for it. Nice little project and the owner was very happy with the results. I ran the feeder pipes up a tiled wall through white PVC pipes to cover the copper and then to a big overhead Sunflower type showerhead. The tub was freestanding and there was no way to run the pipes through a wall. Wish I had taken pictures now.

You can't really strip porcelain. The process is they heat the metal until it is very hot, then they pour fine glass beads over it. The glass melts and bonds to the metal. Nice in that it essentially lasts forever, but not easy to repair.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I used to touch up my bottom with enamel paint when in the uk, not sure if that would work here or not...it depends on the size of the chip on your bottom