If visiting SD, watch your back

LuisSanchez

Feb 2, 2013
Ok, I just came back to NC after passing sometimes in las Terrenas y en la capital. Since I never care much about crime, (I am always with my friends and relatives when I visit Quisqueya), I decided to do something different: I asked everyone I met if they have been crime victims.

I was/am in shocked: more than 50 % of them have been either assalted, mogged, or their house violated. (All of them live in the capital. ) It is hard to believe that i was told to dress like a dominican: always long pants, no sandals and not hat. That I look too american and therefore a prime target.

Even more, when I was going to the airport, at 5:00 am, my friend never stopped at any red trafic light. When I asked, he told me that these are places for atracos. Yes...you figure in a city that it full of trafic during the day, at 5:00 am, it has less trafic that a cementery. He remains in the airport until day break because he was afraid of driving in the dark. (He was not happy that I booked a flight early in the morning for the same reason)

On Saturday afternoon, I went with my brother, my mother and a friend to the cementery to visit the family grave. I was told that the more people with us into the cementery, the safer. Also I discovered that not even the dead are safe. The thieves steal the padlocks from the cripts, removed the iron doors, and even go grave digging, seeking any available valuable.

When will the dominican middle class take action against crime? Is it possible? The latest news is that chief of police was replaced because he was too tough against the criminals. It seems that there were complains of human right violations...I guess some people only care about the human rights of the atracadores. (I wonder if human right criteria make any sense under these conditions.)

Any way, watch out about retiring in the capital. I have no idea about inland.

Still, I love that darn country. I took 700 photos and definitively will keep jumping into the fire with my wife.However, I believe that expat better hang around in their own communities and stay away from the capital unless being protected (if such a thing is possible in the Wild Island.) If I were to move there, I would move to LT; however, I am doing pretty well here in Greensboro, NC.

Ok...something good, I must say...darn beautiful women, we dominicans have. :) It would be almost impossible to be single in Quisqueya....By the way, I was taken to the colonial zone one evening. It has a strong touch of Madrid: full of evening life, music, theater, young people. It was not like that 30 years ago. I believe that this a the main point where the fun happen today for expat. So, if I were into night life and single, I would take a hotel in that area.

Cheer.

chrisdr

Oct 7, 2012
Thats a little bit harsh on the Capital... almost a third of the population of the country live in greater Santo Domingo so of course there will be more crime.

If your sensible it is no different then any other big city in the world. Again if your sensible... Not like the doctors that got robbed on Gomez the other month... it was reported that one of them had $3000 USD stolen - why the hell would you be carrying that much cash on you in the evening?

I myself haven't had a problem in two years of living in the capital (air conditioner stolen of the wall aside...) - Just be SENSIBLE!

Lothario666

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
Thats a little bit harsh on the Capital... almost a third of the population of the country live in greater Santo Domingo so of course there will be more crime.

If your sensible it is no different then any other big city in the world. Again if your sensible... Not like the doctors that got robbed on Gomez the other month... it was reported that one of them had $3000 USD stolen - why the hell would you be carrying that much cash on you in the evening?

I myself haven't had a problem in two years of living in the capital (air conditioner stolen of the wall aside...) - Just be SENSIBLE!

Would the robbery been more reasonable/acceptable if the doctor only had $30.00 on him?

"R-238"

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Good post and right on. Santo Domingo has become very dangerous. I used to go there several time a year to party, now go only if I have to.

LuisSanchez

Feb 2, 2013
chrisdr,
I am very sensible. I love the country. I was born there and very likely I will be bury together with my family in el cementerio de la Maximo Gomez when my time come.
I am just retelling my experience. I am not even comparing it to other cities. I do not care.
Robbery, atracos, and criminal behavior have no excuse in my universe. Why should I?
..by the way, I guess, you also have something stolen. It seems that you support my numbers.

By the way, I lived the first 25 years of my life in the capital. In the 70th, the place was safe and beautiful...today? A pit. That is my experience.

Good luck to you.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Not like the doctors that got robbed on Gomez the other month... it was reported that one of them had $3000 USD stolen - why the hell would you be carrying that much cash on you in the evening?

the doctor had a camera worth approximately 3k, not cash. see how the facts get twisted? living in DR is like being in a chinese whispers game. by the time you hear again about that mouse you saw on the street it turns out to be an elephant invading your kitchen and stomping your family to death.

chrisdr

Oct 7, 2012
Would the robbery been more reasonable/acceptable if the doctor only had $30.00 on him?

"R-238"

Not at all, I am not saying that at all. I cannot stand people that steal and it is no way acceptable.
But you have to remember this a poor country and to someone that has nothing money like that is like winning the lottery. I would guess it makes it a lot more tempting for them to risk getting caught...

DV8 - didnt know it was a camera! yes your right, how things get twisted.

Chrisdr

vacanodr

Jun 10, 2012
Ok, I just came back to NC after passing sometimes in las Terrenas y en la capital. Since I never care much about crime, (I am always with my friends and relatives when I visit Quisqueya), I decided to do something different: I asked everyone I met if they have been crime victims.

I was/am in shocked: more than 50 % of them have been either assalted, mogged, or their house violated. (All of them live in the capital. ) It is hard to believe that i was told to dress like a dominican: always long pants, no sandals and not hat. That I look too american and therefore a prime target.

Even more, when I was going to the airport, at 5:00 am, my friend never stopped at any red trafic light. When I asked, he told me that these are places for atracos. Yes...you figure in a city that it full of trafic during the day, at 5:00 am, it has less trafic that a cementery. He remains in the airport until day break because he was afraid of driving in the dark. (He was not happy that I booked a flight early in the morning for the same reason)

On Saturday afternoon, I went with my brother, my mother and a friend to the cementery to visit the family grave. I was told that the more people with us into the cementery, the safer. Also I discovered that not even the dead are safe. The thieves steal the padlocks from the cripts, removed the iron doors, and even go grave digging, seeking any available valuable.

When will the dominican middle class take action against crime? Is it possible? The latest news is that chief of police was replaced because he was too tough against the criminals. It seems that there were complains of human right violations...I guess some people only care about the human rights of the atracadores. (I wonder if human right criteria make any sense under these conditions.)

Still, I love that darn country. I took 700 photos and definitively will keep jumping into the fire with my wife.However, I believe that expat better hang around in their own communities and stay away from the capital unless being protected (if such a thing is possible in the Wild Island.) If I were to move there, I would move to LT; however, I am doing pretty well here in Greensboro, NC.

Ok...something good, I must say...darn beautiful women, we dominicans have. :) It would be almost impossible to be single in Quisqueya....By the way, I was taken to the colonial zone one evening. It has a strong touch of Madrid: full of evening life, music, theater, young people. It was not like that 30 years ago. I believe that this a the main point where the fun happen today for expat. So, if I were into night life and single, I would take a hotel in that area.

Cheer.

First, it depends which part of the capital. Some parts are very quiet and have almost no crime and either have a barrio with a couple entrances and everyone knows each other and no one dares enter to try something or it is rich or full of tourists and foreigners and has guys with shotguns and police protecting it all the time. Some are like a war zone with ladrones and gang bangers owning the neighborhood and corrupt police protecting them like Guachupita o Los Guandules or Los Alcarizzos.

Second, no offense but you are form NC. Come to any serious inner city american ghetto where danger and crime is a way of life. You will see the same stuff here or even far worse. Crime is everywhere in the world especially right here in the USA. Those black/latino ghettos in the USA have crime that rivals santo domingo at the least. People need to notice the problems with crime in the USA before they start noticing the problems in the DR.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
DV8 - didnt know it was a camera! yes your right, how things get twisted.

no worries, i did not mean it as a pinch at you specifically. what i want to say is that events here get blown out of proportions so easily. and crimes sells better than sex so all juicy stories always flow to the top. i read dominican newspapers daily. i struggle to find positive news. lots of bad? yes. and plenty of neutral too: inauguration of this, prices of that, he said, she said. but not so many positively good chicken-soup-for-the-soul kind of news. it is always easy to notice the scum.

yes, there is lots of crime in DR. more than we think, for sure, because things like rape and domestic violence are rarely reported. but most, and yes, i am not afraid to say it, MOST dominicans live relatively crime free lives. they have no dealings with the underworld. they are not well off enough to be robbery targets. they are not involved in abusive relationships of any sort. they just go on about their humble lives day by day.

LuisSanchez

Feb 2, 2013
First, it depends which part of the capital. Some parts are very quiet and have almost no crime and either have a barrio with a couple entrances and everyone knows each other and no one dares enter to try something or it is rich or full of tourists and foreigners and has guys with shotguns and police protecting it all the time. Some are like a war zone with ladrones and gang bangers owning the neighborhood and corrupt police protecting them like Guachupita o Los Guandules or Los Alcarizzos.

You are totally correct. But my friends and relatives belong to the middle upper classes. They are terrified and they made me understand the reason why the live in las torres: to protect themselves. And I tell you, that is not a good way of living.

Second, no offense but you are form NC. Come to any serious inner city american ghetto where danger and crime is a way of life. You will see the same stuff here or even far worse. Crime is everywhere in the world especially right here in the USA. Those black/latino ghettos in the USA have crime that rivals santo domingo at the least. People need to notice the problems with crime in the USA before they start noticing the problems in the DR.

You are incorrect here. I lived for 4 years in Harlem or whaterver...right there in the middle of the crack drug days...Actually I lived in 144st and Broadway...a very hot spot in town...and many of my relatives in US still live between 160 and 204 st of Manhattan. Some of them even live in the toughest places of the bronx. Nevertheless I never felt as uneasy as I felt in SD....Maybe I am becoming paranoic or stupid..By the way, none of my friends or relatives have even been atracado en NYC but some have in SD....Just facts...facts..no opinion here..

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002

Cheer.

This is all hearsay. I know crime is present in Santo Domingo, and actually during a time I was scared of driving through the city at night or going to the airport in the night, but thinking clearly, media and radio Bemba tend to exaggerate what s happening. In my circle of family and friends in DR, I know 0 people being robbed or having had intruders in their house. I do know stories from friends of friends or friends of family, but as you get around the world in 6 steps from friend to friend, you probably go through whole the DR in 3.

Doesn't mean you shouldn't be careful. But it seems your friends or family are either scared themselves or want to make you scared. A few weeks ago I had a visitor from Miami (frequent visitor) who himself brought another visitor from Los Angeles. We had dinner in the Zona colonial and when I brought them back to their hotels I did the same as your friend did, driving fast and I told the second visitor that this is a dangerous area, can't drive slow here, just to see the look on his face.

I notice I have felt unsafe because of the stories I heard or read, but never of first hand testimonies.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
crime

no worries, i did not mean it as a pinch at you specifically. what i want to say is that events here get blown out of proportions so easily. and crimes sells better than sex so all juicy stories always flow to the top. i read dominican newspapers daily. i struggle to find positive news. lots of bad? yes. and plenty of neutral too: inauguration of this, prices of that, he said, she said. but not so many positively good chicken-soup-for-the-soul kind of news. it is always easy to notice the scum.

yes, there is lots of crime in DR. more than we think, for sure, because things like rape and domestic violence are rarely reported. but most, and yes, i am not afraid to say it, MOST dominicans live relatively crime free lives. they have no dealings with the underworld. they are not well off enough to be robbery targets. they are not involved in abusive relationships of any sort. they just go on about their humble lives day by day.

Correct you are dv8, crime sells. Chicago has 44 murders already this year. Its all over the news and Internet, people love keeping score. I walk in and out of the barrios every Sunday after the cock fights, never a problem. Try being a white guy and walk through Liberty City or Hialeah in Miami, there is a good chance of you getting your furniture re-arranged before you make it to Coconut Grove (when I say furniture, I am not talking about the stuff in your house)

Last edited:

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
"When will the dominican middle class take action against crime?" To quote the op. What middle class. I dont think there is any Dom middle class.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
"When will the dominican middle class take action against crime?" To quote the op. What middle class. I dont think there is any Dom middle class.

If PICHARDO was really back he would have a response, but I suspect he has be neutered in his absence.

david_

Dec 8, 2012
Not saying this as a catch all, because there probably are instances your friends and family should have legitimate concerns for your safety. But, here is something I've noticed while traveling many times in the DR and other developing countries. I have always traveled with locals, who are friends or family of friends. They always seem to obsess about my safety. I've never felt scared or threatened, and always think, what's the big deal I've seen much worse in my home country. So, in my experience it seems the locals are just being over vigilant because they feel responsible for me. One time I told them they were too paranoid about me being hurt or killed. The reply was they couldn't bear to have to contact my family if something were to happen to me. Again, I've seen this in many places, not just the DR. Bottom line, I think many times the locals exaggerate the danger to keep you safe, and I think it may be cultural.

LuisSanchez

Feb 2, 2013

Actually, there are there. In SD, they live south of JFK: Piantino, Naco, Millon, Bella Vista, Esperilla, etc. They either live in a tower with a guard at the door or in the inner city gated community. They go to the big malls and on the long weekends hang around Jarabacoa, Constanza and with the Expats Punta Cana, Babaro, etc. Very present indeed.

LuisSanchez

Feb 2, 2013
I notice I have felt unsafe because of the stories I heard or read, but never of first hand testimonies.

That is the problem. I have first hand testimonies from actual victims. Still I better stop on this subjevt.
The wise is already warned. The others?...I wish them luck....Donde esta mi presidente y mi mujer?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
there is a dominican middle class. and i am pretty sure crime is the least of their worries. they have other things like bills, school fees and rising food costs to worry about. or maybe stuff like what to wear or what car would pull most chicas.

i know people from different walks of life and i think borderline poor are most likely to worry about crime. by borderline i mean working, living in barrios, average folks living on minimum wages. those folks for whom a loss of their meager salary is a drama. those who cannot even scrap enough money together to buy their daily medicine let alone pay for the treatment of a relative injured in a criminal event. those who see crime every day: drugs sold on the streets, youngsters being shot in gang disputes, neighbour being beaten up by her husband...

entering a state of paranoia is no good. i do not like to drive at night. but this is because i do not see well and there are too many crazy drivers. but not because i am scared. what hell of a life it is to always live in fear. don't get me wrong. being aware of your surroundings and possible dangers in a desirable thing. but not fear. i automatically close my car doors as soon as i get in. but am i dying of fear that some will grab my cheap bag from the seat and run. no. i know there is a possibility, i prepare by locking the door and putting the bag on the floor. but i do not break in sweat over stuff like this.

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
I was in SD last friday. Walked a lot with an european look, wallet in my pocket and a backbag on my shoulders. And surprise, nobody attacked me, robbed me, stabbed me.... I should have been killed but it didn't happen... :)