Anyone coming To Sosua or Cab. from Toronto soon to bring a grocery item?

nsdr

Bronze
Feb 1, 2007
If anyone is coming in from Toronto in the next week or two and can bring me a jar of natural peanut butter in their checked bag, please send me a personal message. It is available at Loblaws or the other major grocery chains. We are happy to provide an airport pickup if that is needed or, if new to the area, show you around.

There is not natural peanut butter here or even natural shelled peanuts. They all have either hydrogenated oil or added sugar.

cndeh

Jul 23, 2012
If you are ever in Santiago there is an organic store in Plaza El Paseo that sells it. You can also check the Bravo in Santiago as they have a whole section dedicated to organic foods.

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
Dunno if peanuts available, but if they are just put in food processor and whiz makes outstanding peanut butter. You can add ( or not) whatever you want. But make small batches or keep in frig cause will go rancid.

nsdr

Bronze
Feb 1, 2007
I used to run peanuts through the food processor and it was delicious but this year the only peanuts I could find had added sugar and / or hydrogenated oil. I have asked Playero several times over the past few years to carry it but nothing so far. But it's good to know that it is available in Santiago. Thanks for your replies!

james

Jan 14, 2002
I bought one over a year ago at Supermercado National in Santiago.
Food Club brand (American made in USA), Natural Peanut Butter (no salt added & creamy) and in a glass jar..not plastic. Until you stir it the oil sits on top. I saw it about a month ago when I was there as well...it was on the top or almost top shelf separate from the other peanut butters. They never have had more than 1 or 2 bottles that I remember.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
Bravo Santiago - Almond Butter, Peanut Butter, Cashew Butter all in the natural/organic section near the cheese making area. It is expensive as hell at like 400-500 pesos per jar.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
Do be sure to check the best before dates....Peanut butter doesn't stay edible forever.
It's always the expensive stuff on the top shelves collecting dust that you have to be particularily careful with. :lick:

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
There is a new organic store in the Agora Mall (3rd level) in Santo Domingo. You'd swear you are in a US or European organic store in there. Everything you can think of and prices that are not as high as one would expect. They have natural and homeopathic everything in there. Fun to shop!

cndeh

Jul 23, 2012
c3hqv.jpg

211p2zq.jpg

I went to Bravo in Santiago today and they have that one in stock.

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
I will be at the end of next month... but I don't think the peanut butter would make it lol you may get the jar cause I love me some peanut butter... or just the nuts... or... nevermind ;)

buggabagang

Jan 5, 2010
I'm coming to POP this Sunday from JFK...we have natural peanut butter here...Trader Joe's has some good stuff...let me know, I may have a little room to bring one...

nsdr

Bronze
Feb 1, 2007
Thanks. Someone has offered to bring a jar soon so I am covered. I should have posted after I received that offer. And.. yes, there is added palm oil, sugar and salt (although organic) in the peanut butter in the store in Santiago.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
NSDR ,
Janets Supermarket in Cabarete has natural peanuts - unprocessed - they are called Mani - and are on the bean shelf. You can process them yourselves into peanut butter as a previous poster suggested. No sure if they are "organic" but not much insecticide and fertilizers get used here in DR.

Olly and the Team

Last edited: