Pay Raise Coming For Teachers

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
From today's Sosua News:

[h=5]Teachers demonstrate for
100% salary increase[/h] [h=5][/h]
[h=5]Last Friday the 'la Asociaci?n Dominicana de Profesores (ADP)' organized a demonstration in the streets of Charamicos (Sos?a). The teachers demanded a wage increase of 100%! The teachers shouted slogans like: 'We eat cheap fish while the minister eats steak!' But also: 'We have trained the minister, but now he doesn't want to treat us decent!' It is well known that teachers are poorly paid and often receive their wages months to late. These protests were also held by teachers throughout the country.[/h]

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
100% is BS. it is awarding stupidity and incompetence. show me that you are worth something and you will get paid. but now like this. the salary rise should be a step taken further down the line of educational reform. first revaluation, training, improvement of services.

May 12, 2005
100% is BS. it is awarding stupidity and incompetence. show me that you are worth something and you will get paid. but now like this. the salary rise should be a step taken further down the line of educational reform. first revaluation, training, improvement of services.

I think part of the idea is that higher pay will attract better candidates.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i think the idea is to pay more to the existing teachers, who are often as sharp as a barrel of eggs. you cannot pay an idiot more. you should kick the idiot out. i am all for better pay for teachers. decent ones.

i know it may be a poor comparison... in poland a fresh out of school teacher gets very little. the more experience they have the more they earn. every now and then they have to pass the competence test and good results also mean better pay. a teacher gets evaluated all the time and the government provides great educational support system when teachers can take additional courses and classes for free, in a variety of subjects. and of course in order to teach, say, mathematics, you need to have a masters degree in math and a pedagogy course done.

yes, i know, the government here has their limitations and so on. but a model in line of the polish one should be exemplary here, something to aim for. you want to be a teacher? potential decent salary with lots of benefits in terms of holidays and education should attract lots of good candidates. but you cannot start them on good terms. there will be no motivation whatsoever to improve anything!

therefore, under such new education plan all teachers in DR will be, in fact, new teachers. start low, work your way up.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
dv8, forget mathematics. nobody studies, nor learns, mathematics. at year's end, the students just pay the teachers for a passing grade. might as well expunge the math teachers, and spend time on something more useful.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
gorgon, that was only an example, i could just as wall say that to teach polish one needs MA degree in polish philology.

math IS useful. but this needs to be taken step by step. you gotta learn how to walk before you run. maybe a change of the curriculum is due. maybe the technology some hate so much (oh, i learnt how to multiply using pen and paper, why do those idiots need a calculator?). i know there must be some electronic way to calculate limits or differentials but how to use it? and what are the limits and differentials?

but we do not even need to get that far. we could do easy and useful things (because really, differential? what is that good for in normal life?): how to calculate one's tax? one's pay deductions? how to calculate a discount in an internet store? how to calculate square meters of the floor to know how much tiles you need? the price of your chicken based on it's weight? things you will use on a daily basis.

in any case, i am going too far here. this is about salaries. and i say the teachers are not worth it. good private schools pay very decent money to their teachers. but they require a good level of service. apply to the public schools too.