Paradise

jaxter

Aug 24, 2012
Hey everyone this is Jax reporting live from Puerto Plata!I arrived 19 days ago and it has been a whirlwind getting settled in,but thankfully no problems.I am exhaling deeply and found a great apt with ocean view.I have been very busy and now I can hopefully meet many expats in the area.I found a great carpenter and handyman who made a platform bed for me for $100 until my bed arrives from the states.To all who visit here,I want you to know....living here is better! My handyman helped with locks and explained how the apt works.My tools have not arrived yet so I have to rely on him a little for now.There are things to get use to.Like having to run the water pump for an hour a day(the landlord pays that part of the electric bill)and having to set my washing machine in the tub :).
Hanging out laundry on the roof can be a chore in high winds.Its 2am and im sleepy, so til next time,Iam safe,well, and happy with my new life and will write more now.Thanks to all...especially DR1 for giving me lots of info.

Jax

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Great you arrived, but which DR are you in? It is just after 11p here..Maybe I am reading it wrong..oh well keep us posted.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
My money says the water pump is on jaxters meter.

jaxter

Aug 24, 2012
Hey Jax! My Wife and I just moved here a month ago. I think I saw you on another forum :) It is very interesting getting used to stuff here isn't it...lol
You are right Harley,its me, I finally made it. are you and wifey adjusting well? Good to here from you again!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Hey everyone this is Jax reporting live from Puerto Plata!I arrived 19 days ago and it has been a whirlwind getting settled in,but thankfully no problems.I am exhaling deeply and found a great apt with ocean view.I have been very busy and now I can hopefully meet many expats in the area.I found a great carpenter and handyman who made a platform bed for me for $100 until my bed arrives from the states.To all who visit here,I want you to know....living here is better! My handyman helped with locks and explained how the apt works.My tools have not arrived yet so I have to rely on him a little for now.There are things to get use to.Like having to run the water pump for an hour a day(the landlord pays that part of the electric bill)and having to set my washing machine in the tub :).
Hanging out laundry on the roof can be a chore in high winds.Its 2am and im sleepy, so til next time,Iam safe,well, and happy with my new life and will write more now.Thanks to all...especially DR1 for giving me lots of info.

Jax

if you came here to meet expats, why didn't you just stay where you were?

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
My handyman helped with locks and explained how the apt works.My tools have not arrived yet so I have to rely on him a little for now.There are things to get use to.
Jax

Welcome! You will probably find out soon that labor is so cheap here that you will more often that not leave menial jobs to your "handyman". Don't let him get too comfortable with you, though...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i would never use words paradise and puerto plata together :) POP is more of a dump, really ;)
now i cannot even remember how was settling in. it's better that way :)

You are right Harley,its me, I finally made it. are you and wifey adjusting well? Good to here from you again!

Well it's been the most stressful month of my life for sure. One thing after another has gone wrong with our House, Car, Pets etc... We built a pool and our fence is finished so I am hoping we can start to somewhat relax :)
I love it here though and would not change waking up to the ocean and sun for anything!

I used to fix a lot in my house in Van but here I just get one of our various handyman's to do it b/c like Castle said it is DIRT CHEAP labor!

Looking forward to hearing more of your adventures here!

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
HRock, Jaxter, and any other new homeowners.

Be cautious who you allow into your home. Eyes see what you have and you'd be amazed how many homeowners find themselves robbed a few days/weeks after the movers leave, after having a new repairman fix something, or even after having a security company install a new system.

And if, for example, you buy a new 40" flat screen tv... don't just throw the empty box out in front of your house for all to see. Destroy it/burn it/or put in front of your neighbor's house for garbage collection ;)

You may feel you've arrived in paradise, but being cautious in ways you may not have previously thought of pays off.

Yes I figured this out quite quickly from EVERYONE saying the same thing. I am VERY cautious and hide EVERYTHING. We got a new flat screen and I did not put the box outside! In Van I would usually buy the biggest best, here I don't! I have a piece of crap car and piece of crap cell phones, left everything of value in Van.

Jax do listen to CFA123 about this and be VERY careful who you trust if anyone. It's sad but I do believe it is the easiest safest way to live here...

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Maybe he's fond of the weather???
Quite the welcome!
Hope you're not his neighbor.

he would probably not want to meet me. i just find it very strange that someone would migrate to another country, and be celebrating the fact that he has the opportunity to meet his type of people, that's all. we just have a different perspective, that's all.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
he would probably not want to meet me. i just find it very strange that someone would migrate to another country, and be celebrating the fact that he has the opportunity to meet his type of people, that's all. we just have a different perspective, that's all.
Come on Gordon, its not much different than what brings us here to DR1. In short order we crave the interactions of like minded people who speak our native tongue. Big deal!

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Yes I figured this out quite quickly from EVERYONE saying the same thing. I am VERY cautious and hide EVERYTHING. We got a new flat screen and I did not put the box outside! In Van I would usually buy the biggest best, here I don't! I have a piece of crap car and piece of crap cell phones, left everything of value in Van.

Jax do listen to CFA123 about this and be VERY careful who you trust if anyone. It's sad but I do believe it is the easiest safest way to live here...

Welcome to the DR from a fellow Vancouverite! I live in SD.

jaxter

Aug 24, 2012

Thanks for the advice,and sorry for your problems Harley. My handyman made me a beautiful sofa and delivered it today for $200. The little things I see in laserena costs $500 and up!