Construction costs with a twist

B J

Feb 20, 2013
Hi
First post so here goes.

I want to build a house and i have heard that to build its around $500 ( $50 a sq ft) a metre for a standard home turn key. I would like to know the following.

How much will it cost me per metre or sq ft to build a home. Given the following criteria. How can i put this??
I want the barebones structure only. That is to say Brickwork , all plumbing , electrical and water system.

I want to do the following myself; windows, doors. painting installation of fans kitchen, bath, tiling, fixtures etc at my own pace.

Soooooooo having said this, of the $500us a metre figure about what amount will it be reduced to for just the barebones structure to be erected $200 a metre.
if it helps i plan to build a 160metre 1600 sq ft home)

thanks Brian

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Ask/PM Chip, he is up-to-date on construction costs.
He can also save you time/money/ and headaches if he helps you with your project.
The "Where" you plan to build is all important. You can spend $500 US per Meter sq. for the raw land if you want to!
Dominicans have very different "Techniques" than you may be used to.
Get Chip's help, BEFORE you screw up!
Do you live here?
Have Visited?
Do you speak "Dominican"?
Lots of "What Ifs" before anyone can really help you.
Cris Colon
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Should be interesting. Prepare yourself, if you supply this information they may get confused and charge you more. Thats the mentality here.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Costs for a nice concrete roof home with tile roof and floors, mahogany doors and cabinets and aluminum sliding windows are generally US40 a square foot and up. This does not include the site preparation but a cistern yes.

I recommend contracting directly with an engineer/architect for the plans and permitting(RD350 per square meter) and then having a maestro with references build it for you. Also remember to never pay a daily rate but pay by contract.

Please take the time to check the references and see what the maestro has built.

BTW, there is really no other way to build cheaper here in the DR and still be assured your house is designed correctly.

Finally, I will repeat, the maestro and engineer must have references and you need to check them.

May 29, 2006
I recently finished work on a large house in the US with a two story 40x50' main house with a full basement and a 25x25 income property over a garage. We were pretty well under $50/sq ft using pre-fab buildings and IFC foundations. That doesn't include fixtures like ovens, washer/dryers or the fridges.

The rent on the income property should just about cover the mortgage, but not taxes.

A "nice" DR home is very nice indeed..

May 29, 2006
One of the hazards I've seen was a DR bar project which was just a few weeks away from being done, and then the crew all took December off because they had gotten their bonuses. Meanwhile, the owner was trying to open his bar while the tourists were in town. He had been shooting for a late November finish but couldn't open until late January. Six weeks of business down the tubes..

Around here in NY, you can run into a similar labor shortage when deer season opens...

B J

Feb 20, 2013
Costs for a nice concrete roof home with tile roof and floors, mahogany doors and cabinets and aluminum sliding windows are generally US40 a square foot and up. This does not include the site preparation but a cistern yes.

I recommend contracting directly with an engineer/architect for the plans and permitting(RD350 per square meter) and then having a maestro with references build it for you. Also remember to never pay a daily rate but pay by contract.

Please take the time to check the references and see what the maestro has built.

BTW, there is really no other way to build cheaper here in the DR and still be assured your house is designed correctly.

Finally, I will repeat, the maestro and engineer must have references and you need to check them.
Hi
Great so if its $40 a sq ft......... how much without all the finishing's ( kitchen , paint, lights etc) I just want the shell??
See i want to take my time and choose the exact tile i want, windows etc. All of this takes time. Any input will be appreciated.

I had spoken to an maestro some time ago and he said the architect charges 6.5% of the house construction price. I want to get away from percentages if i can as well. So according to what you wrote i can pay 35ord per square meter for designing a 160 mtr housee ($1100us approx). Thanks

whiskylee

May 13, 2007
Hi
First post so here goes.

I want to build a house and i have heard that to build its around $500 ( $50 a sq ft) a metre for a standard home turn key. I would like to know the following.

How much will it cost me per metre or sq ft to build a home. Given the following criteria. How can i put this??
I want the barebones structure only. That is to say Brickwork , all plumbing , electrical and water system.

I want to do the following myself; windows, doors. painting installation of fans kitchen, bath, tiling, fixtures etc at my own pace.

Soooooooo having said this, of the $500us a metre figure about what amount will it be reduced to for just the barebones structure to be erected $200 a metre.
if it helps i plan to build a 160metre 1600 sq ft home)

thanks Brian

A couple of things to take into account:

Factor in the cost of a perimeter wall with gates & railings, This will add alot to your costs as i found out

Services such as water, electricity & waste water sewerage etc, We had to pay towards electricity collums as there was none near our construction site

Feb 7, 2007
Yes, and those electricity columns do add up ... like 30.000+ pesos for a nice concrete one, or 8.000+ pesos for a piece of wood