Conde Nast Traveller?s Readers Choice Awards: Peninsula House, DR

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
The luxury boutique hotel Peninsula House, situated in the Saman? Peninsula ? on the country?s northeast region ? was recently recognized as the best hotel in the Americas, and seventh worldwide, by the Conde Nast Traveller?s Readers Choice Awards.

The hotel received a score of 98.2%. Some 28,876 visitors participated in the survey that put together the list.

According to the world-famous magazine, the Peninsula House is ?Perfect from start to finish.?

The hotel, designed as a 19th century Victorian-period mansion, features Brazilian hardwood floors and Oriental-style decoration elements.

The end-result is the perfect setting for a relaxing and truly enjoyable tourism destination. The hotel offers six junior suites fully equipped with flat screen TVs, DVD player, cable, air conditioning units and fans, wireless access and speakers for music players.

Ipods are also available with a selection of musical favorites to please the most demanding guests (Luxury Hotel in Dominican Republic, Exclusive Boutique Hotel - The Peninsula House).

The Conde Nast Traveller magazine has been organizing the ?Readers Choice Awards? since 1986. For a complete list, please visit: Readers' Choice Awards 2012 : Cond? Nast Traveler.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
It is a very exclusive place in the hills of Coson. I believe there are only 6 suites and prices start at $800usd a night. This hotel is for those who want their personal space. The Peninsula House does have a restaurant on Coson Beach, which is open to the public, called the Beach House. For those who can afford the stay send me some photos. I don't believe they allow common folk in for a tour.

LTSteve

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
It is a very exclusive place in the hills of Coson. I believe there are only 6 suites and prices start at $800usd a night. This hotel is for those who want their personal space. The Peninsula House does have a restaurant on Coson Beach, which is open to the public, called the Beach House. For those who can afford the stay send me some photos. I don't believe they allow common folk in for a tour.

LTSteve

Steve,

How's the restaurant on the beach? Big? Small? Fancy? Describe it, please.

Thanks, Frank

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the website states the prices start at 580 dollars a day per room. i looked at the photos and it seems like a nice place but the old fashioned decor does not appeal to me, personally.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
the website states the prices start at 580 dollars a day per room. i looked at the photos and it seems like a nice place but the old fashioned decor does not appeal to me, personally.

Same here...I would have preferred and ultra modern, contemporary property but I guess some people like this old style look.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Same here...I would have preferred and ultra modern, contemporary property but I guess some people like this old style look.

Mr. AE and I both LOVE the old style, I drool over old carved mahogany furniture. I also love the ultra modern look though - but nothing in-between. We started our marriage with all glass and chrome and white, with splashes of color. Then we bought this 100 yr old Victorian home in the 80s, and that doesn't work here. The previous owners bought it in 1920, and changed nothing, I was expecting Count Dracula to come out of a room at any moment. You can see part of our foyer in the Shipping Boxes thread.

I mostly see modern furniture in DR homes, we have a rather eclectic mix in our DR house.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
The restaurant owned by Peninsula House is called the Beach Restaurant. It is the size of a small ranch house. I have never eaten there but am told it is good, prices are on the high side. It is on Coson Beach between Luis' and Hotel Casa Coson. Peninsula House is a Victorian plantation style and the decor reflects this. You can get modern at the Mariott.

LTSteve

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
29,000 people stayed there....... less than 12 rooms....

The math doesn't add up..... to me.

I like your thinking! But, for hypothetical reasons, let's say 30 people occupy the hotel everyday...30 people x 365 days a year= 10,950 a year.

Ok, let's be more conservative. let's say they have only 2 people occupancy per room per day. we have 24 people a day staying at the hotel... 24 x 365= 8,760 a year.

It's feasible.

Frank

Dec 26, 2011
Some 28,876 visitors participated in the survey that put together the list.

Total number of survey participants. Not all participants stayed at every property listed in the survey.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
frank, but that's a count of a cabana, not a hotel. people do not stay one day and go. and the place cannot be full all the time, that's unrealistic. even if you optimistically assume that all rooms are occupied at all times and put average stay as 3 days you'd only come up with 2928 people...
sure, some folks may stay one night but my guess is that most do a week or so...

Dec 26, 2011
frank, but that's a count of a cabana, not a hotel. people do not stay one day and go. and the place cannot be full all the time, that's unrealistic. even if you optimistically assume that all rooms are occupied at all times and put average stay as 3 days you'd only come up with 2928 people...
sure, some folks may stay one night but my guess is that most do a week or so...

28,876 is the total number of survey participants. Not all participants stayed at every property listed in the survey.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
hmmm... then what do they know? they saw the photos or something? sounds fishy to me.

not to take anything from the place itself. it looks nice enough. on pictures :)

Dec 26, 2011
hmmm... then what do they know? they saw the photos or something? sounds fishy to me.

not to take anything from the place itself. it looks nice enough. on pictures :)

You do understand how such awards are given?

All those participating in a survey, in this case 28,876, vote for their favorite/favorites. The properties receiving the most votes are ranked. In other words, some properties voted best by some participants will not even make the list. The #1 property may have only received 555 votes, let's say. But if the next most popular property received 554 votes, #1 it is.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com

that is really the key to Conde Nast Traveller.. they would not feel comfortable in a run of the mill three hundred dollar.. a night room

I have a friend who did some of the work on that hotel and he says that the owners are absolutely first class.. no cutting corners whatsoever

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
All those participating in a survey, in this case 28,876, vote for their favorite/favorites. The properties receiving the most votes are ranked. In other words, some properties voted best by some participants will not even make the list. The #1 property may have only received 555 votes, let's say. But if the next most popular property received 554 votes, #1 it is.

aaaaaa, i get it now. it was frank who got me confused with counting :)

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com

Actually, I believe Conde Nast's poll is different. It's based on reviews, note votes. Each hotel is graded on it's own and they published the score for each hotel regardless of how many reviews it received, but I assume there was a minimum number of reviews needed to be on the list. So if the Mandarin Oriental had 500 reviews with an average score of 95, and the Peninsula House only had 100 reviews, but an average of 98, Peninsula would be ranked higher.

Dec 26, 2011
Actually, I believe Conde Nast's poll is different. It's based on reviews, note votes. Each hotel is graded on it's own and they published the score for each hotel regardless of how many reviews it received, but I assume there was a minimum number of reviews needed to be on the list. So if the Mandarin Oriental had 500 reviews with an average score of 95, and the Peninsula House only had 100 reviews, but an average of 98, Peninsula would be ranked higher.

That sounds right regarding the finer points. I was just seeking the clarify that 28,000 participants included in the survey doesn't=28,000 visits to any one property, as some in the thread had suggested.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Still VERY misleading..... they want you to think 29,000 voted for that one hotel....

Instead of the actual 29 who in fact did vote !!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
these surveys are meaningless. if another institution did the survey, the results would have probably been way different. it is all politicking, and contributions to magazines. it is like high end stereo. the guys who buy the full page ads get the best reviews for their equipment. their stuff is always rated as class A. then you go out and listen to it, and it sounds like firewood. i am not saying this is the case here, but it is what generally happens.