Cane Toads

I heard about these Cane Toads when I picked up a poison kit from Dr Bob in Sosua and I looked online to see what they looked like and realized my puppies were lunging at one tonight and I saw another one in the yard the night before.

Has anyone ever lost a pet to these Toads, is it really that common?

If so, I guess I will have a lot of Toad hunting to do and keep the pups on leash till they are trained better!

E

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i have huuuge toads in the garden. they seem to peacefully coexist with a cat, sometimes they sit side by side, looking at the garden. couple of times toads venture to the back where the dogs are causing quite a commotion. dogs bark. toads croak. dv8 goes out, catches them buggers and throws them outside (gently).

so far no probs. including one time when upon entering the garden i only found half of the toad :( i will post the picture tomorrow, those toads are super cute!

charlie&ziggy

Mar 1, 2009
Lolol yummy,
I did not know there were Cane toads here, Are they indigenous to this country? I know talking with some Aussie friends they can cause quite the problems.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Our Rottie got pretty sick from one few weeks ago. The shot from Dr Bob worked and he is fine now.
We keep a posion kit in our frig at all times.

Bob K

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
Ok, going to tell you a little story providing you promise you don't laugh....
When I moved down here 9 years ago I purchased a property that was right next to a laguna. As you can imagine, there were toads around every day, even more so whilst it was raining. There were several dogs on the property and one day whilst we were sitting outside two of the dogs were playing with a toad. I had no clue that they were poisonous and just left them....within minutes the younger of the two dogs was on the ground, whimpering and foaming at the mouth. A few minutes later so was the other one. Fortunately the owner of the dogs had medication in her fridge and medicated them straight away....by the way, these were German Shepherds. Within a day or so the dogs were fine. So.....a week or so later I saw one of the dogs playing with a toad again, (obviously dogs don't remember certain things!). I panicked, not wanting the dog to go through the same thing again, and picked up the nearest thing to me, which happened to be a broom. Instead of simply brushing it away I turned the broom around and started to whack the toad, (believe it or not, I have never killed an animal in my life, but I was pixxed). Well, the majority of my whacking attempts completely missed and the ones that did had absolutely no effect what so ever, it was like whacking raw hide! Then it happened....the toad spat poison at me that hit my leg...I just carried on trying to whack it, failing miserably but within one minute I collapsed, my leg burning with excruciating pain. Thirty minutes later I was vomiting and had a fever....believe me, it was horrible. I never realized that the toads could spit poison until reading up on it...although toads generally secrete poison via their glands, under rough situations they can spit poison, and I guess being whacked on the head merited a dose of poison. I never went toad whacking after that day!

For your info:
Toads are also poisonous to pets and many die after mouthing these toads. Signs of poisoning through ingestion include profuse salivation, twitching, vomiting, shallow breathing, and collapse of the hind limbs. Death may occur by cardiac arrest within 15 minutes.
The toad responds to threat by turning side-on so its parotid glands are directed towards the attacker. The poison usually oozes out of the glands, but toads can squirt a fine spray for a short distance if they are handled roughly. The poison is absorbed through mucous membranes such as eyes, mouth and nose, and in humans may cause intense pain, temporary blindness and inflammation.

First Aid

First aid treatment includes irrigating (washing with a lot of water) the eyes, mouth and nose if they have been exposed to toad poison. Seek medical attention if symptoms persist. When handling any frog or toad, protect the eyes, wear gloves, and thoroughly wash hands before and after touching the animal.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
ok, here's the beauty from our garden. and yes, i touch it with bare hands. they seem to take it well, maybe because they don't feel any danger...

2pq1dld.jpg

it is even a cane toad?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
sometimes we have a friend visiting, he parks on the grass because our driveway will not fit his car. every time he leaves i find someone underneath the car...
fmnp87.jpg

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
had them in south Florida. On the north coast they seem to like the low lying coastal areas. I made a toad tool out of a piece of dowel and put a long nail into the end that I sharpened into a spear. I would go in the morning before I let out my pup outside and spear the toads and put the bodies into a small bucket then into a plastic garbage bag then the trash. If you leave out cat or dog food in dishes it will attract them. Most dogs catch on after a time and ignore them. The smaller the dog the bigger the poison threat. With a big dog like a Rottie it takes quite a bit of poison to make them sick. You can also wash out their mouths with water to remove the poison but be careful they do not breath in the water. Nasty little buggers those toads. If its still dark outside a flashlight help locate them.

Lothario666

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
so far no probs. including one time when upon entering the garden i only found half of the toad :( i will post the picture tomorrow, those toads are super cute!

We were expecting a half of a toad picture, oh well, so much for dessert.

"R"

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
oh, no. i admit to a morbid curiosity when it comes to body parts but i do not take pictures of dead animals.

but i have a toad transit snapshot thou:

346kdgl.jpg

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Cane toads were imported (as were the mongoose) to supposedly fight a biological problem: mosquitos. In some places they are called Sapos Bogaert since around Mao they were supposedly brough in by Miesseur Bogaert when he was opening up some of his first rice farms. Tehy are toxic to everything in this country and are now a pest. Kill them but do not try to eat them....

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Hi I live near guananico, which is not so far from mao and Ive never heard of cane toads... I have what u could call a frog problem in the swiming pool but I m winning that battle( I thi k).. When u say toad I imaging something much bigger than a frog, no?? Ive noticed that while my dogs and my cat will kill every living insect or creature that ventures into the garden, they always leave the frogs alone (to my disapointment), would that be the reason??

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i think, malko, that they know... plus those big toads can be quite intimidating :)
when my in laws lived in a big house on the hills over san marcos i have seen many toads there. they stayed by dog's food bowls and ate the kibbles. smack with the tongue and eat with such bliss on their fat faces...
the dogs (german shepherds) stayed away. they were never poisoned, neither the workers. those toads were treated as a normal part of campo life.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
ok, here's the beauty from our garden. and yes, i touch it with bare hands. they seem to take it well, maybe because they don't feel any danger...

2pq1dld.jpg

it is even a cane toad?

That's a weird looking toad.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
My puppies are idiots then b/c they try to attack them....
I guess i will make some kinda spear thingy and GET THEM!!!

geee, live and let live :) why not get a long set of thongs, like they use in the states or UK for picking up the rubbish? grab it, put it in a bag, release outside. them toads eat cucarachas and other small vermin.

Full grown bigger dogs mostly are smart enuff to not attack them, but puppies don't know better, and most small odgs I have eevr known are pretty stupid and aren't smart enuff to not bite at the toads.
Der Fish

My older Chihuahua and our cats won't attack the Toads, just the pups and hopefully they will grow outta that!!

geee, live and let live :) why not get a long set of thongs, like they use in the states or UK for picking up the rubbish? grab it, put it in a bag, release outside. them toads eat cucarachas and other small vermin.

When it comes to my animals I won't take any chances with something that could kill them. If the toads are in my yard they are leaving in a bag!

My wife doesn't want me to kill them either.

There are others around to kill the cockroaches and bugs.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
there are road signs in australia to run them over, rather than avoid them as they became a big problem