Barahona

American Gallego

Feb 21, 2013
Hey all my 1st post on this site after many years of visiting. I will be visiting DR in June with my wife and 4 year old daughter, and would like to know of places to go, and stay in the Barahona region. I have read other threads on this topic but it offered no help. Also trying to find on a hotel on Expedia or other such sites reveal no more than 4 or 5 hotels which have so so reviews. Thanks in advance.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Aren't many hotels there because there aren't that many people that visit the region...

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
It all depends on what you want to do. There are several different things to do in the vicinity of Barahona. Bahia de Las Aguilas, in Pedernales is about 1 hour from Barahona. There is also Sierra de Bahoruco where you can go from beach weather to cool mountain temperatures after a short drive. Hoyo de Pelempito, which is supposed to have been created by a meteor is also nearby. Polo is another good trip, not much to do but fun to visit. Lago Enriquillo is not far, either. Google them.
About hotels, I think someone posted recently about a hotel in Barahona that was rated among the best 5 budget hotels in the world, or something like that. I'll see if I can find that post.

Jan 5, 2006
Is this your first visit to DR? Barahona is far from Punta Cana or Puerto Plata, which feature AI resorts and are more geared toward people that are less familiar with the DR.

Barahona is a beautiful place, but it lacks the infrastucture and ammenities that are present in the more touristy locations.

American Gallego

Feb 21, 2013
Thanks for the info, my wife is Dominican and I have been to DR about 14 times more or less so far. But never to the Barahona region.
Basically what I would like to do is just site-see a bit, enjoy good seafood, and hopefully get a decent hotel room close the beach. Remeber I will be traveling with a small child so the whole eco thing would prob no work out for us.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
It all depends on what you want to do. There are several different things to do in the vicinity of Barahona. Bahia de Las Aguilas, in Pedernales is about 1 hour from Barahona. There is also Sierra de Bahoruco where you can go from beach weather to cool mountain temperatures after a short drive. Hoyo de Pelempito, which is supposed to have been created by a meteor is also nearby. Polo is another good trip, not much to do but fun to visit. Lago Enriquillo is not far, either. Google them.
About hotels, I think someone posted recently about a hotel in Barahona that was rated among the best 5 budget hotels in the world, or something like that. I'll see if I can find that post.

is it really only an hour? through los patos and that entire region? seemed longer///

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
is it really only an hour? through los patos and that entire region? seemed longer///

Yes, a little longer, maybe.
I just compared the time these pics were taken. The first was at 9:57 (right out of Barahona), and the second was taken at 11:22 (already at bahia de las aguilas). I took the road/trail between Cabo Rojo and Bahia, but the boat ride is a little shorter. So let's say 1:20 and call it a day...;)

However, it could've been 3 hours and you don't feel the time pass...

sdc10068of.jpg

sdc10088f.jpg

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Pedernales is much more than an hour from Barahona.

We leave Barahona at 9am, have a 2.5 hour lunch at BdLA, and are back in Barahona around 6pm. Two 10min. stops each way.

PLUS, unless things have changed in a couple of months, the roads have degraded badly, especially in low spots near rivers.

And we're on fast bikes, much better time than a 4 wheeled vehicle.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Pedernales is much more than an hour from Barahona.

We leave Barahona at 9am, have a 2.5 hour lunch at BdLA, and are back in Barahona around 6pm. Two 10min. stops each way.

PLUS, unless things have changed in a couple of months, the roads have degraded badly, especially in low spots near rivers.

And we're on fast bikes, much better time than a 4 wheeled vehicle.

Well, maybe I was driving too fast. But those were my times, and the metada of the pics won't let me lie. Your times seem a little off. Between 9 and 6 there are 9 hours, if you stayed for 2.5 in bdla then the other 6.5 were on the road. More than 3 hours for each leg is just not true, unless you were riding pasolas, which I know you weren't...

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Google maps, which is not exaclty famous for calculations using fast driving times, says that from Barahona to BDLA there are 114 km, or 1:44 min....

GinzaGringo

Sep 29, 2010
There is a place outside of Barahona, up into the mountains a little bit called the Polo Magnetico. It is a place where things supposedly roll uphill. You might take a drive up there, to see this optical illusion.

American Gallego

Feb 21, 2013
Thanks, just one more thing any hotels around the vicinity of bahia de las aguilas? I did a Google search and could not find much.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Sore point (see today's DR1 News)
The only hotels near BdlA are the ones in the town of Pedernales, IIRC there are about three decent ones. We stayed at Do?a Chava's ecolodge.

cookest

Apr 1, 2013
Hey all my 1st post on this site after many years of visiting. I will be visiting DR in June with my wife and 4 year old daughter, and would like to know of places to go, and stay in the Barahona region. I have read other threads on this topic but it offered no help. Also trying to find on a hotel on Expedia or other such sites reveal no more than 4 or 5 hotels which have so so reviews. Thanks in advance.

Just wondered if you had settled on a hotel. We're going to that area at the end of April & are getting totally bemused by the reviews.
Thanks for any help

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
There is a place outside of Barahona, up into the mountains a little bit called the Polo Magnetico. It is a place where things supposedly roll uphill. You might take a drive up there, to see this optical illusion.

Call me jaded, but I found that it was an out of the way somewhat "yawn-inducing" experience. Much as I found the same experience in New Brunswick to be a bit of a let down...
I did enjoy the stop at the beach where Rio de Los Patos meets the Caribbean...a short stopover for some rays and refreshment would go over rather well with the troops, I think.

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
I was 3 weeks ago in Hotel Costa Larimar in Barahona. 3900 peso one room for two persons with breakfast from the AI. The hotel is good with beach and pool but there a many cheaper hotels a few hundred meters across the street (we came late and I was too tired to seek something else). And nearby there are two very loud openair discos, so I couldn't sleep until after 3am.
About 25 km further away in San Raphael there is a nice beach with a river and natural pools. You can also eat there.

curious29

Sep 20, 2012
been there yesterday, it is really not worth travel to it... very small, and honestly not sure about that optical illusion... maybe after few beers....

curious29

Sep 20, 2012
as for the Hotels in barahona province...
go road 44 down south until Enriquillo...For your needs I would recomend you staying in Paraiso or Los Patos. Easily u can find hotels there for 1,000-1,500 pesos...
note: i stay in 300 pesos hotels and i'm fine here, but since you have wife and family....