Backwards Windows

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
Recently while trying to remove the windows to make cleaning easier I found that all the sliding windows are installed backwards. Instead of being able to remove from the inside, they are installed to remove from the outside. This is fine as the house is only one floor but the bars on all the windows makes it imposible. Anyone else have this experience or is my house the only one.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
many things in DR are backwards :)

on a more serious note. you had the whole window removed for cleaning and installed from the outside? can't you have them put correctly now?

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
The windows are sliding within the aluminum frame. Each section does not come out of the frame because of the bars. There is no way that I am going to have all the windows removed from their cement encasement and turned around. I was just curious if anyone else has noticed this problem.

Lothario666

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
If they are truly backward: then the higher edge of the bottom frame is on the outside and the lower edge is on the inside. When it rains the water will overflow the lower edge, bringing the water into the house.

With help, you may be able to remove the screws holding the frames in place and remove the windows
as a unit (Frame and all). As a start, the sides should come off first, followed by the lower frame, then remove the window panels.

Maybe even remove the windows from the frame and leave them resting against the bars, then remove the frames.

Just be very careful.

"R"

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Yup,lots of that here in dr , I ve got locks that were put in upside down, Ive got taps where blue is hot water and red cold.....I ve also got a toilet in the guest house/outside kitchen/laundry that locks from the outside, Ive got light switches behind the door ...... got to love here in dr

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
In my country there are drain holes so the water does not overflow the lower inside one. Here the higher edge is on the inside and they still drilled holes on the lower outside edge. They could have put the higher edge on the outside and drilled drain holes there. The lower inside edge would never overflow unless driven by wind. As was mentioned lots of things get done assbackwards here.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i understood that the windows have been taken out for cleaning and then put backwards, sorry! now i see they were originally installed badly. i guess that no one took notice while things were being done :)

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
Yes....the frames were installed backwards(at least in my thinking) imbedded in cement. Before the bars were welded in place the sliders would have come out from the outside. I guess I will have to clean them thru the bars.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Yes....the frames were installed backwards(at least in my thinking) imbedded in cement. Before the bars were welded in place the sliders would have come out from the outside. I guess I will have to clean them thru the bars.

Maybe with a small squeegee.

I have so many things installed backwards that I barely register it anymore. Even light switches that flip up to turn off. And most door locks turn in reverse.

I used to think it was because Mr.AE is a lefty. Now I know it's an bred Dominican thing.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006

oh, this is easy and of no consequence to a dominican cleaning lady. she'd hose the windows from the outside and from the inside she'd throw few buckets of water on them. our maid does that all the time. did i mention our computers are plugged in to a socket under the window? :) no importa! splash! :)

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
Good thing I don't have a maid unless you consider a wife one.....I'm ready for the backlash now.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Good thing I don't have a maid unless you consider a wife one.....I'm ready for the backlash now.
nah, wife ain't a maid. maids willingly have sex with you, wives don't. ;)
i'm ready for the backlash too :) :) :)

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
Windows are more than likely imported or just copied.
Original design was meant for ease of cleaning and fire exit.

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
I ain't even gonna comment, other the OP must be a newbie..................

and listin, if you try to tell the installer, at the time of installation they are backward, forget it, if a native or a natives neighbor is doing something, it can not be wrong, no way......

We had new windows put in the anex to the house, INDUCA, installed correctly, windows come out on the inside, by the way they we a reasonable pleasure to work with, did not use subs, for the installation.

Anyway half house, old part with window backward, other part correct..

g'luck!