NUCLEAR POWER-Please no!

J

jim

Prsident Mejia has stated he wants to have a commission to study the POSSIBLILTY OF NUCLEAR POWER.
MY opinion is that every man, woman, child and those withing 5000 miles of the DR should STRONGLY OPPOSE even the idea of thinking about this and urge everyone to voice their opinion. This is not like the normal power plants that when something goes wrong we have no lights for a while. When this goes wrong it is "lights out" period.

J

John

Is there no way to stop this clown Hipolito and his subclowns called government?
He doesn't have a clue of what he is doing.

K

Keith

Re: one of the more loco ideas Hipolito has had

Hipolito has said many things before that make me shake my head and wonder what he's been smoking, but if he really said this, then this takes the cake.

Nuclear power for an island country that constantly faces the threats of hurricanes and earthquakes? A country that does not have adequate management of common household trash, much less the capability to safely & adequately handle radioactive wastes? A country that has not yet developed a true air & water emissions monitoring network, much less the standards and an inspection force to enforce them? A country with a poor record in the areas of maintenance and safety? A country that cannot afford the huge upfront investment costs involved in securing a (safe) state-of-the-art nuclear power plant? A country with a poor record of honoring its own environmental impact assessment (EIA) rules (this current government has repeatedly violated the very rules Hipolito himself signed into law one year ago)?

What on Earth was the man thinking when he said he was interested in exploring the nuclear option for the DR???? Or perhaps better put, was he thinking at all when he said it?

Here's hoping that he was misquoted (but fearing he was not)...

Keith

M

Mary Kohn

In my humble opinion

I always thought the DR should capitalize on something she has naturally (sunshine). The investment on solar panels might be sizeable. Also the benefits.

V

Victor

Hello can anyone say CHERNOBLE!!

R

RON

Re: In my humble opinion

This is only tipical Hipolito bullshit to impress the local

population He knows this can't happen

J

jim

Re: In my humble opinion

Thats all nice to say that BUT when Venezuela or some other country offers to build a reactor here and finance it over 20 years and somebody in Govt here (and there) can pocket quite a few million $ commission on the deal then it will be too late won't it.

M

Marc

The icing on the cake is that he sent Dominican technicians to check it out. Now isn't that special! Technicians that have never seen a nuclear plant are checking it out for us.

Bless their little hearts, now I can sleep at night. Actually, given our location, I doubt that the rest of the world would allow this country to do something that ridiculous.

m

P

Pib

D'oh!

This is scary. Our dim-witted president is breaking all the records of stupidity in Dominican history. I am frightened, what in the name of God is this lunatic thinking when he suggests this nuclear power plant? Hasn?t he read in the papers that the whole world is turning against nuclear power (oh well, let?s forget for a moment that the American clown, I mean president has the same idea). I won?t even think about it, I?ll pretend it was a bad dream; the alternative is too frightening to even consider.

I leave you with the wise words of the nuclear power expert Homer Simpson: ?Your lives are in the hands of men no smarter than you or I, many of them incompetent boobs.?

S

SUN_RA

He's a maniac .. can't you see that yet?. what we need is a few men with real GUTS to hang all those corrupted members of his CABINET.

GOD SAVE US !!!!

SUN_RA

M

mondongo

This is why there are Coup d'etats

When a moron like Hipolito is allowed to rob and pillage the people's money and freedom...we have to rise up and throw his sub-standard IQ butt right out of office....he decides how much he wants to borrow...and decides whom gets the corrupt loans....WAKE UP POEPLE!!! Unless you are one of those benefitting from this overt thievery and boundless stupidity, you HAVE to get outraged.

E

ECH,

Re: RELAX

Relax, it ain't going to happen. The USA will not "condone" a Nuclear Power plant in this island nation just like they did not "condone" ICBM sites in Cuba......remember. Too dangerous.
I would like to know where they got the Dominican Nuclear Technicians from???? UASD????

P

Pib

ECH

Back in the 70's and 80's there were many Dominican students in Russian universities, one of my professors had a doctorate in something about nuclear power generation. But not only is his knoledge outdated but also Russians were not exactly the example to follow when it comes to safety. Anyone remember Chernobyl?

D

Duck

Re: RELAX

The idea of nuclear power in the DR is so unrealistic, I wouldn't even bother getting exited about it.

C

criss colon

Re: This is why there are Coup d'etats

Those who respond to this kind of political "smoke-screen",need to get a life!Why not blame the "Haitians", for the fact that there is no electrical energy in the dominican republic?,makes as much sense as "Lets explore the possibility of nuclear power".
The "idea" is to make the ignorant masses think that you actually care.I have "lights" and "air" 24/7, but I also have the resources to pay for same.I bet almost everyone on this net in sto.dgo. has an inverter,right? Well, sell it and give the money to a poor family.When the "Rich" have no electricity,the "poor" will have electricity! I feel for the "poor" everytime I eat salmon at Vesuvios!

Criss Colon

P

Pissed Dominican

The other day, Nuria Piera, a well-known Dominican journalist did a report of (Nuclear Waste in the DR) yes there's nuclear waste in the DR. it comes from radiotherapy machines for cancer treatment. In Eriberto Peter Cancer Hospital they dispose of nuclear waste (guess how?) they have a concrete shack in the roof of the building.

And they want a power plant here?

Hipolito's gotta be kiddin', like always.