orange internet

mart1n

Jul 13, 2006
Has anyone else had a problem with orange internet. I went to the office in Luperon and asked about a contract and if In was not satisfied could it be canceled at that office because I was a little suspicious about their service.
The first month the speed dropped drastically and when I took the unit into the office he said it was temporary. The second month the speed dropped and I took it in and he checked with the company and they said that I had used all 5 GB in the first two days I asked when they said it was from 10:00 MP to 6:00 Am I told him that was an impossibility as my computer was turned off and unplugged. This had no effect he still wanted the money and would not cancel the contract

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Tell him to kiss your ass in Macy's window if he wants any money. Just DO NOT PAY................ Nothing he can do to collect.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
9 months after "canceling" my contract because of poor to no service with thier "flybox" I am still getting bills from them. Every month I have to go to Puerto Plata and "fix" it with the promise that it had now been taken care of. That is true until the next billing cycle when it happens all over again. I can not wait till our phone contract is up so we can be ride of this company forever. They have no clue when it comes to customer service.

Bob K

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
2535541070.png

It's a bit slow, as my wife is viewing Youtube at the same time ;)

Squat

Jan 1, 2002
By the way, I have a Flybox, with the "Large" plan (that's 20GB), plus "duplica tu plan", which gives me 40GB altogether. My bill is around 2300 pesos monthly. I am never in slow speed anymore.

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
Nothing to do with Orange but I am waiting for Tricom Wimax Internet now already for 78days...yes, 78days have passed since I paid the RD$ 2,500. At least 5 times to their office and countless phonecalls....no result.
Bienvenido a la republica banana!

dropshort

May 18, 2008

Recently Calgary Airport had a power failure that interrupted flights most of the day.

I have been in AILA, SDQ, Santo Domingo Airport when the power failed.
Less that 5 seconds later the backup generators were up to speed.

Now who is the Banana Republic?

DS

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic

Recently Calgary Airport had a power failure that interrupted flights most of the day.

I have been in AILA, SDQ, Santo Domingo Airport when the power failed.
Less that 5 seconds later the backup generators were up to speed.

Now who is the Banana Republic?

DS

...I should move to Canada then... :surprised

Thanks for the tip! :D

John Andersson

Feb 25, 2013
Hi,

"Flybox" is that a fixed line or 3G solution?

Do you have any periods when the transmission stops/halts f?r a period of time?

/ John

John Andersson

Feb 25, 2013
By the way, I have a Flybox, with the "Large" plan (that's 20GB), plus "duplica tu plan", which gives me 40GB altogether. My bill is around 2300 pesos monthly. I am never in slow speed anymore.

Hi,

/ John

Squat

Jan 1, 2002
Hi,

/ John
Flybox is 3G, and it NEVER halts... Disclaimer: I live about 100 meters from the Orange antenna, so I get a really good signal.

J.Baby

Dec 23, 2012
My flybox has some hiccups, usually I just unplug it, say a prayer and restart my browser, but it is fast enough for me. And cheaper than my internet in Canada. My mobile stick there is 40 dollars a month for 10 gb, here I think it comes to 24 US dollars. And I can take it anywhere with me. I just have to patient for videos to load.

John Andersson

Feb 25, 2013
My flybox has some hiccups, usually I just unplug it, say a prayer and restart my browser, but it is fast enough for me. And cheaper than my internet in Canada. My mobile stick there is 40 dollars a month for 10 gb, here I think it comes to 24 US dollars. And I can take it anywhere with me. I just have to patient for videos to load.

OK. I trade the financial markets (stocks, bonds, currencies and commodities) and need a fast and reliable internet connection.

Is this possible to find? What geographical areas would be the best to find a fast fixed line (ADSL or fiber optic) without any interrupted traffic? Is this even possible here in the DR?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Claro DSL works well here. I guess different locations are better than others. Get a phone line, not the stick though.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
I bought the stick for a weekend in Santo Domingo last year and it worked fine as the Hotel did not have adequate bandwith which was a forgone conclusion....best $100 U.S. ever spent for insurance !!!!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I recently installed a modest plan with Internet and Cable TV with Tricom. I did it because two of my renters live on the Internet and I had experienced two outtages over the past month from Claro--and I have to say that Claro fixed them in fairly timely fashion. The first one was a major area outtage and took a day to correct, but it was corrected. The second one took a couple of hours and the guys went out to eat and it was back on when they returned.
The Tricom provides a powerful WiFi signal throughout the house and they are happy!! So I am happy.

I now have dealings with Orange (cell phones) , Claro-house lines and Internet; Tricom, Internet and Cable, Aster--Cable TV and Cablenet, also cable TV....gee, can I get any more complicated? But they are happy, I am happy and more importantly SHE is happy!!

HB

A note to John Andersson: set up in a city, not on the Beach. Santiago or Santo Domingo You can get 10Mb with Tricom for 5000 plus taxes..I would suppose that Claro is about the same. A little homework will find out. But on the beach or in a little town, you might have some issues.
Of course there is Hughes Net....althought I have not seen any reports on it here.

Paradise does have its drawbacks.

John Andersson

Feb 25, 2013
A note to John Andersson: set up in a city, not on the Beach. Santiago or Santo Domingo You can get 10Mb with Tricom for 5000 plus taxes..I would suppose that Claro is about the same. A little homework will find out. But on the beach or in a little town, you might have some issues.
Of course there is Hughes Net....althought I have not seen any reports on it here.

Paradise does have its drawbacks.

Thanks Hillbilly. Yes, living in paradise has its drawbacks :) I'm just trying to understand more in detail what you as a consumer actually can receive for your bucks. I've assumed just as you point out that the way to go is to set up in SD or Stgo.

I've understod from reading for example Claros product information on their homepage that they focus on wiring the high income areas of SD like Naco, Gascue, Piantini, Mirador Sur etc with fiber optic.

- I though wonder about the realities apart from their commercial ads. Can you really get a speed above 5 Mbps if you sign on their 10 Mbps deal?

- Are there any or many glitches/interuptions/freezes in the transmission ( if you for example Day Trade you need a continuous flow of market quotes from the NYSE servers in New York).

- How is it to connect your TV to the internet to be able to watch streaming video services from foreign servers (Netflix etc)? Does the picture freeze at times?

Has any of you guys made any recent speed tests of your internet connections? What do you actually get (down and up)?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I just got 3.09 Mbps down and (horrible) 0.12 upload...

I should have 3 down and 1 up...

HB