Leonel Says Modern Era Of DR Began in 1996

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Considering that modern era is universally referred to as the times around the European Renaissance , then we're still like 450 years behind...oh well...

Jan 5, 2006
Actually; there was a marked, positive difference in the country during the 1996-2000 period, IMO. After that, it went in the toilet with Hipo, and then the biggest raping of the country in its history, with the last 8 years of LF.

Now we're to the point, where only a meteor striking a meeting of the PLD's central committee can save the country from those rats! :(

Jan 5, 2006
There has been some improvement in the style of governing, but that's not a major accomplishment, considering how terrible LF was. We certainly see a more humble president, and one who seems more connected and concerned with the common citizen. However; when you look beyond that, the major problems such energy, crime, rising food prices, government corruption, etc., are still the same or worse.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
modern era? what modern era? you mean there is Ikea and Starbucks? uepa! so where is the electricity? can folks spell "modern"?

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I think Fernandez is right in the fact that prior to then, I believe it was still a dictatorship with Balanger. For an island government the DR is far ahead of many other countries in terms of development. Things, especially politically connected take a very long time to change. Look at what has been happening in the US for the last few years and the DR does not seem politically much different in their approach. For a small country the DR has a lot of resources, precious metals, farming, tourism, it's industrious people. Let's hope the government continues to become more refined and defined in it's approach to fair government. Just remember this could take a while. Manana is still the catch phrase.

LTSteve

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I think Fernandez is right in the fact that prior to then, I believe it was still a dictatorship with Balanger. For an island government the DR is far ahead of many other countries in terms of development. Things, especially politically connected take a very long time to change. Look at what has been happening in the US for the last few years and the DR does not seem politically much different in their approach. For a small country the DR has a lot of resources, precious metals, farming, tourism, it's industrious people. Let's hope the government continues to become more refined and defined in it's approach to fair government. Just remember this could take a while. Manana is still the catch phrase.

LTSteve

when you say 'development", what exactly do you mean?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
You don't think things have improved with the new PLD administration?

oh please. this is why leonel stepped down and let well instructed danilo take his place and do a little cleanup. so people stop thinking that all peledroguistas are thieves: we were repeatedly f**ked up the a** by our government, but look, this time it's with a condom AND lubricant!

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Jeez...I know we're a long way, but do you guys really see anyone beating Leonel at this point. He has built himself a nice little chiefdom with all the state's resources at his disposal. MVM is done folks. Hippo is done as well. Yes I'm sure by next elections the PRD factions will be "reunited" once again, but I think until Hippo, MVM et al give way to someone new who's considered somewhat untainted they won't have a chance. The same old guys trying again and again to get back in power...how well has that worked out?

The wildcard of course is The PRSC...will they renew their ranks and become relevant enough to sway the elections one way or another or continue to become more irrelevant by the day as they have been doing for the last few years?...and if they become relevant enough then who will they support? Hard for the PRSC to say no to The PLD when they have all that cash available.

Mar 1, 2009
Before their weren't the level of drugs, crime was under control, human rights parasite ppl weren't defending criminals like now. There was a national debt but it wasn't that overwhelming. You could stay out in el Malecon until sunrise and not be worried about getting mugged. The ppl were more innocent. The real problems started with el burro de Gurabo, then Leonel was beeeegggggeed to come back as the anointed one. After that the rest is history he went rotten!!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
jrqp94.jpg

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
I think until Hippo, MVM et al give way to someone new who's considered somewhat untainted

I don't remember this happening anytime in LA history, let alone DR history. Bosch, Balaguer and Pe?a Gomez ruled their parties and were presidential candidates literally until they died. And certainly, it doesn't look like they're going to let anybody rise to the occasion in PRD.
In PLD, things are unclear to me. I'm not so sure LF can come back in 2106. Maybe he'll have to give wifey some years first, and then he could have to fight Danilo for a chance in 2020.
PRSC is gone. It will stay gone.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I don't remember this happening anytime in LA history, let alone DR history. Bosch, Balaguer and Pe?a Gomez ruled their parties and were presidential candidates literally until they died. And certainly, it doesn't look like they're going to let anybody rise to the occasion in PRD.
In PLD, things are unclear to me. I'm not so sure LF can come back in 2106. Maybe he'll have to give wifey some years first, and then he could have to fight Danilo for a chance in 2020.

Leonel will never be elected dogcatcher in this land. never again.

May 12, 2005
IMHO, Trujillo made DR a modern country. He took it from a Caribbean backwater to a 20 Century nation. Most of the roads and infrastructure date back to his time.

Big_Poppi2

Mar 30, 2008
Aguilas Cibae?as
www.facebook.com
Hi, everyone, to follow up on the previous statement, of which I would agree, there also has to be revisiting to the projects began then, more improvements that were not yet realized then and also a consistant march toward improvements in all structures of life, and Government. Yet any progress is improvement and not arguing improvement now, but exactly when that improvement began and who is responsible for that. I am just glad for the best, sad for the mess, and hoping for the best to come in the future. Take care, God bless
Biggs

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002

Bosch stepped aside to give way to Leonel the first time he was elected.

The Gorgon: How naive you are about Dominican politics. Has it crossed your mind that Hippo..HIPPO for god's sake almost got elected again after his hugely disastrous government. He was pretty much dead politically speaking, yet he almost got re-elected again. Leonel on the other hand is still very popular within his party and completely controls it.

Let's be clear here in the eyes of Leonel, Danilo is a temporary president...a placeholder if you will. As of right now he will NOT be re-elected by The PLD in 2016 and if there's ever any internal PLD power struggle Leonel has the upper hand big time. The only question here is what will Danilo do between now and 2016. He should be shoring up his support within the party big time if he expects to stand as a candidate. Most likely we stand to see a back and forth between Danilo and Leonel taking turns for the next few periods.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Bosch stepped aside to give way to Leonel the first time he was elected.

Yeah, well you're right, but he had lost an election badly only two years before (barely got 13% of votes). And he was well over 80 and they said he had Alzheimer's. I remember Balaguer was pretty lucid until he died, though blind as a mole.