Weird cold...

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
I have never seen anything like this...
This is so weird because I was never sick this frequently and speed of this cold. I was fine couple of hours ago and boom. I have all the nasty symptoms of cold, minus high temperature. It seems like my son is getting same cold as well and my wife seems fine through this. Is this tropical thing or am I looking into going through another dangue feaver?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
While it could be something else, it sounds like the flu which is especially bad this year. By all means see a doctor.

Normally the flu produces a high temperature. No reason to not find out more.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
I guess I have no choice but to see a doctor, if my symptoms equals the other two I went through. My son and I can't survive this country, if this continues. I can't survive here if I go though two dangue fevers a year. Given my symptoms some how a bit tolerable then other mentioned and no life threatening as doctor says. You never know this time it could be bad one...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
you know, get a proper checkup with blood, urine and poo tests. it may be that you have some gastrointestinal issues that are weighing in on your general health by messing up your immunity. this winter has been bad for my entire family here with lots of bad colds and lung problems. turned out they some family members had other infections in the stomach and intestines that played a major part here.

also, check for anemia. even if you think you eat well it may be that with tummy problems you are not getting enough nutrients. especially important with your son as he is growing and needs a lot of good stuff to develop well.

also, prepare for the cold :) don't be fooled by blue sky and the palm trees :) if you feel a bit cold put on your socks and long sleeves. no reason to feel silly about it :)

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
I seems like allergy. I suffer all the time from allergies here in DR. Looks like a cold, but without the fever.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
There is a virus that is going around that seems to cause only head colds. I have it and feel bad but no fever - but will still go to the gym.

While it could be something else, it sounds like the flu which is especially bad this year. By all means see a doctor.

Normally the flu produces a high temperature. No reason to not find out more.

Do most people here go to a Dr if they have cold/flu symptoms?

Why I ask is b/c in Canada people would go to the Dr or ER for any little thing and it drove me even more NUTS than I already am. Waste of Taxpayers $$$$$$!!! I also worked in a field where services were always abused....

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006

they go directly to the pharmacy to happily medicate themselves. i do the same, actually. i get some cold meds because they make me sleepy and i combine them with hot water with lemon, ginger and honey. i am dragged to the doctor only if i do not get better after few weeks.

Dec 26, 2011

My gf always wants to but I've encouraged her to not waste the time(not an issue of money, as she has good health coverage) as they're just gonna give you decongestant/expectorant and acetaminophen/ibuprofen anyway. So now she rides it out. It has been an exceptionally bad year for cold and flu.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
The thing about cold for me is every 2-3 year I go though cold but that was it. I try to rough it out for few days but if the cold doesn't go away, I just take Nyquil for 2-3 days and nights on weekend after that I was fresh ready to battle on Monday. But cold and flu here seems different and NyQuil doesn't seems to help and wow do I feel miserable right now?!?!

I'll take one tonight and see how I feel tomorrow. If I don't feel any better I am going to take a day off and sip more NyQuil through holiday. And Doctor and blood test would be after that.

jaxter

Aug 24, 2012
I have never seen anything like this...
This is so weird because I was never sick this frequently and speed of this cold. I was fine couple of hours ago and boom. I have all the nasty symptoms of cold, minus high temperature. It seems like my son is getting same cold as well and my wife seems fine through this. Is this tropical thing or am I looking into going through another dangue feaver?
If you are in DR the weather is changing and many Dominicans have the same symptoms. I got it 5 days ago and thought it was from my fan. Congestion, runny nose, no fever, just felt icky. Took cold meds and rested. Its passing, all I have now is little runny nose and the flem is breaking when I cough and I feel better....Jax

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
koreano, this is a different climate, different environment, different bacteria and allergens. if all checks come out well then maybe all you need is time to fully adapt...

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
If you are in DR the weather is changing and many Dominicans have the same symptoms. I got it 5 days ago and thought it was from my fan. Congestion, runny nose, no fever, just felt icky. Took cold meds and rested. Its passing, all I have now is little runny nose and the flem is breaking when I cough and I feel better....Jax
This is my symptom and how I feel. I don't feel horrible but I do feel little dizzy. But this could be that cold medicine I took about 30 minutes ago.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
koreano, this is a different climate, different environment, different bacteria and allergens. if all checks come out well then maybe all you need is time to fully adapt...
Perhaps your are right...
I may need little more time...
I maybe too worried about this...
This could be start of just common cold not dangue....

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
The best thing I have found is to drink lots of liquids, mostly water, and eat soup once a day when it is really bad. I buy the Knorr soup in an envelope and add plantain or yucca, mmm.

Dec 26, 2011
This is my symptom and how I feel. I don't feel horrible but I do feel little dizzy. But this could be that cold medicine I took about 30 minutes ago.

Just a common sense reminder. Liquids(hot and cold) will help you. Tea, broth, homemade chicken soup with garlic and onion. Fresh juices and water. Especially important as some cold medicines have a dehydrating effect. I believe in vitamin C also. Can't hurt.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i agree about liquids. get some hydrating suero, sold in pharmacies. it comes as a fruit flavoured powder to dissolve in one liter of water. tastes like fruit juice with salt :) but works very well in all cases that may cause dehydration.

bermyboy

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
My wife and son had it last week its going around actually I felt symptoms yesterday and bombarded my body with vitamin c and cold pills and teas woke up this morning felt fine but sluggish do to the medecines I sweat most of them out in the gym this morning. But when i got home I couldnt keep my eyes open and had to go sleep all due to the cold medicines but hey I dont have a cold now either.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
The best thing I have found is to drink lots of liquids, mostly water, and eat soup once a day when it is really bad. I buy the Knorr soup in an envelope and add plantain or yucca, mmm.
How the thing changed...
I used to enjoy that powder or canned stuff but no more. I will tell my wife that I am sick and she will probably boil fresh chicken with fresh veggies.