Dominican credit and debit cards.

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
Is there a real advantage to getting either? Noticed some supermarkets have discount cards,cash back ,rewards,etc.But with all the scams going on with foreign cards and accounts,wonder if they worth getting considering if you wiped clean,Dominican customer service is pretty much non existent.Anyone feel better using for example a Banco popular debit instead of their Home country card?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Never had a problem with fraud in 10 years on my Banco Popular credit card and debit card.

Dominican customer service can be excellent, you just need to know the system.
I suggest you make friends with the branch manager, that way you can avoid the waiting, period :)

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
I get good vibes from that one specific bank.Sound advice on the socializing part,it seems you 've been Dominicazined in order to survive, lol. Much appreciated advise

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I have had a Banco de Reservas card for 15 years.
The one time it was used fradulantly was a $100 US charge from Chicago Illinois.
They called me right away, cancelled the card, refunded the $100, and came to my house the next day with a new card!
I have had my USA credit, and debit cards used fraudulently many times over the years.
My advice is NEVER use a foreign card in the DR!
I got my money back, eventually.
But the hassle of getting the money back from "There", when you are "HERE" is not fun.
I get great service from my nearby "Banreservas" locale.
But I know everyone there.
I have known one woman there through her three pregnancies.
I used to take cookies when I went.
And they make good coffee!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i have an extension of miesposo's CC from banco popular. he has CC and debit. i never once had a problem with it in nearly 7 years. i have used this card both here and in europe.
miesposo had money stolen from his CC once, after a trip to NYC. he was already here when his CC was charged a considerable amount of monies somewhere in the states. refunded very fast, no probs.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I always use BPop debit card and never an issue. If you have a Bpop credit card make sure you pay off balance in full or the interest is horrid. In my experience you don't get the fraud you do on overseas cards - my UK credit card was hacked 4 times so I cancelled it.

Matilda

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Banreservas CC gives you "Puntos" for the amt. of money you charge.
I got a small "Executive fridge, an "American size washing machine, and I have accumulated 5 "Puntos", so i'm hoping for a new TV!
I ALWAYS pay off the monthly charges.
As Matilda says, the interest is "Loan Shark" percentage!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Yes, we also have 2 Banco Popular Mastercards, on one account. Never had any problems. I still use my UK Visa card for local and internet shopping. If I ever try to use it out of town or with a new internet supplier they stop the card but a telephone card clears it. No worries.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
I have had a Visa card from Banco Santa Cruz for 7 years. Earlly on someone at ede Norte tried to charge $400,000 to the card the bank blocked the transaction, canceled the card and called me. Replaced the card in 24 hours. No probelm. They will also call if there is a charge at a new establishment that I have not used in the past. They call while I am at the register and ok the transaction. VERY pleased with the card and the service.

Bob K