Explosion in Santiago

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
We just heard a loud explosion at our house. Smoke was seen in the area of 27 fevrero and estella saldalha. Fire trucks heard soon after. Any ideas what it was?????

Trainman33

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
The smoke is actually drifting in from the mountains, it looks like something is on fire in the Calle Del Jobo area of the start of the mountains to the north.

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
Actually it was a late model ford pickup truck. 4 doors. Propane tank exploded and demolished the truck as well as damaging the house next to the scene. Nothing left of the interior or the rear of the truck. No injuries. Just around the corner from Antonio ocha motors. I got a video but am having trouble loading it.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
what the heck? not that long ago i was at home here in costambar (POP) when i heard a loud hiss followed by even louder bang. a column of smoke indicated that the scene of the accident was just one street away. a gas tank exploded in the back of a small pickup, some dude collecting bottles, i believe. the pickup burnt to a nice charred crisp: no interior, no tires, nothing non-metallic left. no, wait, there was: pieces of presidente bottles on the back on the truck. broken and melted into nice flat dali inspired shapes...

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
what the heck? not that long ago i was at home here in costambar (POP) when i heard a loud hiss followed by even louder bang. a column of smoke indicated that the scene of the accident was just one street away. a gas tank exploded in the back of a small pickup, some dude collecting bottles, i believe. the pickup burnt to a nice charred crisp: no interior, no tires, nothing non-metallic left. no, wait, there was: pieces of presidente bottles on the back on the truck. broken and melted into nice flat dali inspired shapes...
must be a common occurrence. Im about half mile away from our explosion and it was pretty loud. Just another reason why I don't like propane in cars....

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
one of these fine days, there is going to be a real tragedy with these makeshift propane conversions. any guy with a screwdriver can do this stuff. no certification of repairmen needed. one of these 15 passenger buses carrying 30 people is going to go kaboom, and it is going to be really ugly.

May 12, 2005
one of these fine days, there is going to be a real tragedy with these makeshift propane conversions. any guy with a screwdriver can do this stuff. no certification of repairmen needed. one of these 15 passenger buses carrying 30 people is going to go kaboom, and it is going to be really ugly.

Rolling bombs

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Sand to see people buying such a great machine and then trying to save money by putting in propane (although I heard one person talking about "natural gas"....)...a case of "if you can't afford the upkeep you can't afford the truck."

Funny thing is the link dv8 put up which says that it was "nearly totaled" Really? Nearly>>>???HAHAHA

HB

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Sand to see people buying such a great machine and then trying to save money by putting in propane (although I heard one person talking about "natural gas"....)...a case of "if you can't afford the upkeep you can't afford the truck."

Funny thing is the link dv8 put up which says that it was "nearly totaled" Really? Nearly>>>???HAHAHA

HB

i hope this natural gas thing never amounts to much. it is far more costly to convert to natural gas as it is for propane, so i hate to visualize the corners guys will cut here to save a handful of pesos. every shade tree mechanic will be putting in a home propane tank, to cut costs. in the USA, i believe it is illegal to even sell a used natural gas cylinder. i can see disaster being the order of the day.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
"Nice Ride", for a "Bottle Collector"!
If anyone is interested, that truck will be "totally repaired?", and for sale next week in Santiago.
CC

no, no, the bottle collector was another explosion, months earlier, in POP. i still did not have my phone so no pictures but it was a cheap single cabin pickup. not enough left of it to fix, that's for sure.

i lost my heart for those converted cars a while ago. about 5 years ago there was an accident in POP: a tire exploded, dude lost control over the car, landed in the ditch nearly vertically. all would be fine if it was not for the faulty gas connection that exploded. 5 people died, including a friend of a friend, in her early twenties. apparently the crash itself was not so bad and they would have lived...

charlie&ziggy

Mar 1, 2009
Hey dv8 what part of Costambar are you at, Maybe my wife and I can meet you one day, not often we meet members of DR1.

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
i hope this natural gas thing never amounts to much. it is far more costly to convert to natural gas as it is for propane, so i hate to visualize the corners guys will cut here to save a handful of pesos. every shade tree mechanic will be putting in a home propane tank, to cut costs. in the USA, i believe it is illegal to even sell a used natural gas cylinder. i can see disaster being the order of the day.
I think they can be resold as long as it's not later than their expiration date, which is clearly marked on the tank and is, I believe, twenty years from the date of manufacture. I guess after twenty years they'll be shipped to LRD. There are two types either 3000 psi or 3600 psi which would blow a propane tank to bits pretty quick.