Rolling Power Outages in Bavaro??? Please say this isn't permanent.

J.Baby

Dec 23, 2012
Hi Everyone,

I have been living here in Bavaro area for two winters now. Normally we have great power service, last year I think we only had one short black out. The last four days we have had blackouts every day, and it seems to not be uniform, half the buildings will be powerless the other half will have partial power. Today for example along the main road none of the businesses had power, while we lost ours around six today and it just came back on. Sometimes our neighbours have no power, while we still have it in the kitchen.

I am just wondering if anyone out there had any idea as to what is going on with CEPM? Is this just routine maintenance or is Bavaro going to be like Puerto Plata and the rest of the island ? Because we never have this problem obviously most of Bavaro/Punta Cana doesn't have inverters (including us), which seemed to be pretty standard in other areas of the island where we looked at real estate.

Anyone out there hear anything about what is going on ? The problem seems to be all the way to Veron and Punta Cana as well. Any information would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
"Is this just routine maintenance or is Bavaro going to be like Puerto Plata and the rest of the island ? Because we never have this problem obviously most of Bavaro/Punta Cana doesn't have inverters..."

If this becomes the usual here too then it definitely was it for me on this Island... but, there was a "comunicado" out which obviously not arrived in every household (including ours) informing today would be no power b/c of repairs/maintenance...

hope that helps.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It was for maintenance but it sounds like it took longer than expected. Punta Cana Village was not affected - well, apart from about 3 minutes mid-afternoon - although someone explained that we benefit from the airport's backup generator.

J.Baby

Dec 23, 2012
Well this is the Domincan Republic, they should be working on it for the next month because nothing gets finished here on a timely manner. Sigh, I guess I should just get used to it. Thanks for the info guys. I truly was frightened that this was going to be a permanent situation.

Last edited by a moderator:

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
They were putting new Power Lines on the new road heading into Fruisa and needed to shut down while doing this.

Still the best place in the DR for constant power. Not cheap, but consistent. They gave out warning notices for yesterday about power outages, you should have got one.

J.Baby

Dec 23, 2012
No one around here got a notice about anything. We get our bill on time, but never any notices. I'm just happy that they aren't letting things slide as one of the things I really love about our area is the power being so steady, and it is still cheaper than what I pay to good old Ontario Hydro in Canada, so I am not about to complain about the price! As for the notices, the guards may have just chucked them, who knows?

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
We didn't get any notice here in Cortecito either, however many people in the area seemed to be aware of the planned outage and clued us in.

Although our power was out for a few hours longer than planned, I'm perfectly content with CEPM's service. Outages are very few and far between.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The only time power goes out in this area is when there is a large storm or an accident involving a power line. And it is fixed in an hour or two after the storm.