Adoption- where to begin.

J.Baby

Dec 23, 2012
I am not sure if this is in the right area, please feel free to move this post moderators if you feel so inclined.

My husband and I would like to adopt here in the Dominican. We realize that as we have only been married for four years that we will have to wait another year before we can begin any process. I have read plenty both on this forum and other resources on the process, and yes, we know it is not easy. Our reasons for wanting to adopt here are complex to say the least. We have a lot of love to give, and because we spend a lot of time here we believe we could be a great family for a child from here, as I believe it is very important to allow a child an understanding of where they come from as well as give them a good family. I have a son from another marriage who is now a young man and he is mixed race. When he found out my husband and I were trying to have another child and then found out it was an impossibility he mentioned why don't we try to adopt in the Dominican. He is a very special child himself, as he has autism and other developmental disabilities and he would love a little brother or sister who also had what he calls a brown face.

After much thought my husband and I decided if it was a possibility that we would try to pursue this. Because my first son is now a teenager, we would prefer a child that was not a baby, not only because it would suit our family well, but because those children are the least likely to get adopted.

The problem isn't the money or the ability to fulfill the requirements, we just don't really know where to begin to find this special child. I know it isn't easy here due to the fact that a lot of the children who are in orphanages really aren't completely without a family.

Has anyone on here adopted from here and would have any idea of where to begin?

I don't want any responses about how hard it will be to take a child who is around six (the age I was hoping for) and incorporate them into our family. We realize that this journey will have its difficulties and require a lot of resources and support, thank God we are Canadian and our country has a lot of resources for adopting parents.

Any ideas where to begin? Like I said before I still have a year before I will have the marriage requiremnt down, but I would like to begin to research.

Also, we can't adopt from Haiti, which I would have in a heart beat, but the requirement there is ten years for marriage.

jackichan

Bronze
Jun 23, 2011
Yep. Conani handles all adoption cases in the dr. I wanted to adopt a kid 12years of age but i couldnt qualify - im less then 31years young, unmarried and "poor" so i let it go

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I tried to adopt my husband's 3 boys when they were 11 and 10 from memory. We were married, and I needed a psychological exam, medical, copies of bank accounts, plus a letter from the children's mother, cedula, passport, birth certificate, marriage certificate, letter from the church - all translated and legalised etc. The children were interviewed as well. The process took around 2 years then we were called in for the final interview, or so we thought, to be told they had lost all of the paperwork and we had to start again. Didn't bother. In fact I don't actually know anyone who has managed to adopt here. Maybe things have improved since then.
Good luck

Matilda

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Contact juanita by PM - adopting her son involved a long and complicated process but it has finally been completed.

J.Baby

Dec 23, 2012
Thank yo for all the responses. I am more than aware of how difficult it can be. I have spoken to my lawyer at Guzman here in Bavaro and was given a break down of the process. It seems as though the difficulty begins in finding a child who will have the family sign off and then just goes from there. I have been told it is possible. We have the means, we have the references having raised a special needs child already (quite well in fact) We own a home here and a home in Toronto. We are still putting together the money, which is very important.

What I really want to know is, where do I find the child? We are not picky on a boy or a girl, or age as long as they are under ten. We know babies are hard to come by anywhere. Anyone know how I would go about finding a child that needs some parents?

jackichan

Bronze
Jun 23, 2011
I would recommend the kid i was trying to adopt. He's honest, very genuine, truthful but he's dark skinned, he don't have the "brown" face you searching, He's above 10 and lives in SD area.

Are you legal residents? Maybe that's a good starting point

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
i would not do this. It will take four or five years...at least!

If you want to do something good, and you know the culture and the language, see about what is called an "hijo de Crianza" ...this is like a foster kid that stays with you forever and ever. You can get them teeny tiny and raise them as your own. They have their birth certificates and you can get them passports and even help them get visas. Their parents will give you travel permits (you pay for everything, of course) and you educate them and do what you would do for your own kids.

My wife and I have done this many times and it can be rewarding...

HB

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Arrugula:
Good friend: I have found out that "orphanages" are not quite what we think they are. Most kids have family somewhere. I only know of one case at Emilio Tardiff where the little fellow had neither siblings (AIDS) or parents (AIDS) or Grandparents (unknown COD), but eventually an aunt and uncle were found...luckily he did not have AIDS or HIV.

Once there is family involved, the saying from Brooklyn comes into play: "Forgeddaboutit"

HB

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
i would not do this. It will take four or five years...at least!

If you want to do something good, and you know the culture and the language, see about what is called an "hijo de Crianza" ...this is like a foster kid that stays with you forever and ever. You can get them teeny tiny and raise them as your own. They have their birth certificates and you can get them passports and even help them get visas. Their parents will give you travel permits (you pay for everything, of course) and you educate them and do what you would do for your own kids.

My wife and I have done this many times and it can be rewarding...

HB

Hillbilly,
An interesting concept if what you say is correct. However u.s. embassy website seems to indicate that hijos de crianza are not eligible for visas, at least not based on familial basis.

http://santodomingo.usembassy.gov/atc-120430.html

J.Baby

Dec 23, 2012
I would recommend the kid i was trying to adopt. He's honest, very genuine, truthful but he's dark skinned, he don't have the "brown" face you searching, He's above 10 and lives in SD area.

Are you legal residents? Maybe that's a good starting point

We aren't at all picky on what the child looks like. My son is mixed race and he would love a brother or sister that looked like him, thats what he calls all shades of non white children; brown faces, for him thats anyone from cola to coffee, but I digress, that is not the important thing. The important thing is that the child need a good family, we can even handle some special needs ( we assume that any child that hasn't had much in the way of a family is going to have some special needs regardless of anything else.)

We are hoping to have our residency application in soon. We still have a year and a month before we can legally start looking into the process.

I am just wondering if you couldn't adopt the youngster, why would we be able to?

The other option of just being a long term "foster" family appeals to me as well. I have to wait until my son is older though, as he is living with his father while I am here in the wintertime, and he is not old enough to fly back and fourth from Canada to here if I was to be here long term.

I would be so afraid though that in that situation someone would just take the child back once we were attached and then I would forever worry, or that the family would be forever asking for this that and the other thing.

I have also heard that although some children are orphans, here they are rarely adoptable due to family still being available, which from what I am hearing on here is probably true.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
my mother in law is a lawyer and back in the day she handled few adoptions so i guess everything is possible. but i understand things are more difficult now.

quite ironic, really. our maid was given to the neighbour at the age of 7 months. the mother just left and never came back. did not even bother to leave the child with relatives. there are hundreds of children in DR who are being brought up by folks not even related to them, from birth to starting their own families. authorities do not care. why, in this light, do they make official adoption such hell is beyond me.

in any case, the best of luck.

J.Baby

Dec 23, 2012
Thank you everyone for your thoughtful responses. We are going to begin with our residency next year and hopefully with a lot of prayers and some luck we will end up on the right path. Once my son is done his schooling in Canada in a few years moving here full time is part of our goals, and if adoption proves too difficult we may just take one of the other available avenues, thank you again for giving me some insight into those other options. Having a child to love and to give a good life to is the number one goal.

I've been a long time lurker here on DR1, and I think you guys have a great community with loads of information. Wish us luck!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
J.Baby: Here is a true story, but I am not so sure this can happen anymore.

Once upon a time a woman I know, a banker, was called by a nurse friend who said that a woman had given birth and abandoned the little baby. And did she want it? The woman was agreeable and called her husband: "Go the the Civil Registry and report the birth of our new baby!" They had a birth report written up by the health facility where the baby was born and they just wrote in their names...And the baby was theirs.

Local lore says Mary Joe Fernandez was given to her Cuban-American parents by some extremely poor people in Jarabacoa.

My son was given a baby boy, but it took four years and friends with the President's wife in order to get the adoption orders (He is a doctor and his wife an architect)....a long, costly (not an issue really) process.

Regarding visas: Yes you are right, "hijos de crianza" do not get visas like children, but you can provide for them is such a way that they qualify on their own. I did it many times!!

HB

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
HB, i've heard of cases like this too.

strangely being dominican and poor gives more access to "adoption". plenty of people here bring up children of strangers: either orphaned, abandoned or simply kids of prostitutes who may pay a little towards the costs. every barrio has cases like this. now, if a rich foreigner tried that they'd be accused of kidnapping, pedophilia and whatnot.

i think that once you are settled and you start adoption process you may enjoy volunteering in an orphanage or any other institution caring for children. i am sure you'd be appreciated as a volunteer teacher or carer. you may be a blessing to many kids :)

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
I know several cases of these. Dominican friends of mine adopted 2 children like this.
But for foreigner not possible because as i heard the American Embassy is asking for
an ADN proof supposedly.

J.Baby: Here is a true story, but I am not so sure this can happen anymore.

Once upon a time a woman I know, a banker, was called by a nurse friend who said that a woman had given birth and abandoned the little baby. And did she want it? The woman was agreeable and called her husband: "Go the the Civil Registry and report the birth of our new baby!" They had a birth report written up by the health facility where the baby was born and they just wrote in their names...And the baby was theirs.

HB