Bitter Melon

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
I am trying to locate a specific fruit which in English is known as Bitter Melon Gourd

Throughout Latin America it has be referenced by many different names;

Cerasse
Assorosis
Sorossie- More commonly known in DR as?
Cucurbitaceae
Momordica charantia

if anyone has heard or recognizes any of these names and where to find in DR, much appreciated!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The Spanish wikipedia page has melon amargo, cundeamor chino, calaica and chote as the names in Spanish-speaking countries. I think I've seen it on sale in the DR labelled as pepino chino (Chinese cucumber). That was at an agricultural show at the Feria Ganadera in Santo Domingo some years back, in a display of non-traditional/exotic crops. I've also seen it in Chinatown and maybe also in supermarkets.

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Momordica_charantia

VeganoSurinamero

Sep 4, 2008
I am trying to locate a specific fruit which in English is known as Bitter Melon Gourd

Throughout Latin America it has be referenced by many different names;

Cerasse
Assorosis
Sorossie- More commonly known in DR as?
Cucurbitaceae
Momordica charantia

if anyone has heard or recognizes any of these names and where to find in DR, much appreciated!

It's called cundiamor chino/indu in the DR

You can find it all over La Vega
Momordica charantia is the botanic name

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I really have a hard time believing that any Dominican would eat "Bitter Melon"?????
I lived in Thailand for a year, married a "Thai", and developed taste for the "Melon".
Most of the bitterness needs to be pre-boiled out,in salt water to tame it a little.
My favorite was filled with spicy ground pork, tied together with a green onion, and boiled. Both the stuffed melon, and the broth are addicting.
Sadly, my Thai wife was NOT!
So I traded DOWN!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC