Christmas Double

BostonMary

May 18, 2002
I am correct in that is just paying an extra week?
Do you need to pay liquidation each for your employees every year? Even if no one leaves
For some employees do you pay extra for vacation?

Someone has been managing my propertied am not sure if everything is correct

Last edited:

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I may be wrong when it comes to your case, but typically it is the equivalent of one month worth of pay that employees get as Christmas bonus.

The law says that the employer is obligated to pay 1/12th of the salary earned during the calendar year

"El art?culo 219 de esa legislaci?n establece que el empleador est? obligado a pagar al trabajador el salario de Navidad, consistente en la duod?cima parte del sueldo ordinario devengado por el trabajador en el a?o calendario."

This page http://www.drleyes.com/page/utilidades/documento/25/1094/Derecho-Laboral/Salario-de-Navidad/ contains a more detailed explanation.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
christmas double is double salary so another two weeks pay. to be no later than 15th of december.
liquidation is only paid when the person is fired or leaves.
no sure about vacation pay. employee is entitled to something like a week or so a year. you just pay for this period of time as if they worked. usually holiday pay is paid before vacation.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
Christmas pay is 1/12 of the amount of base salary (not commissions or overtime) for that year, calculated up to and including Dec 31st pay, but payable before Dec 20th each year. At liquidation most employees include the Christmas Salary calculations.

Vacation is earned and payable/useable as of day 365 BUT many employees give pro rata earned time before 1 year. The law states you must pay the vacation pay before they leave for the allotted time.

Liquidation is payable when the employees leave the company. The calculation depends on when they leave, their earnings and whether they received notice, earned vacation etc. Liquidation for dismissal - with or without grounds - is different then if they chose to leave the company.

Labor law is complicated! You need to understand the terms of employment - do they work for you or for the agency?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I am correct in that is just paying an extra week?

ONE MONTH. IF YOU TERMINATE SOMEBODY DURING THE YEAR THEY ARE ENTITLED TO RECEIVE AS PART OF SEVERANCE THE PERCENTAGE OF THE CHRISTMAS BONUS THEY ARE ELIGIBLE BASED ON NUMBER OF MONTHS WORKED DURING YEAR IN WHICH TERMINATED.
Do you need to pay liquidation each for your employees every year? Even if no one leaves

NO, AND YOU SHOULD NOT. WHEN SOMEONE REALLY IS TERMINATED THEY MAY BE ABLE TO GET FULL TERMINATION EVEN THOUGH PAID ANNUALLY. LEGAL TERMINATION REQUIRES AN EMPLOYEE TO BE OFF JOB FOR A SPECIFIED PERIOD BEFORE BEING REHIRED.
For some employees do you pay extra for vacation?

THE LABOR LAW HAS A FORMULA FOR CALCULATING VACATION PAY THAT RESULTS IN AN EMPLOYEE BEING PAID MORE WHEN ON VACATION THAN WHEN HE WORKS. THE CONDO WHERE I LIVE WAS JUST AUDITED BY THE LABOR PEOPLE AND WE WERE TOLD WE WERE NOT PAYING EMPLOYEES ENOUGH WHEN ON VACATION AND NOT ENOUGH TO THE GOVERNMENT IN THE REQUIRED PERCENTAGE OF SALARY FOR EMPLOYEES ON VACATION.

Someone has been managing my propertied am not sure if everything is correct

I have responded above to your questions.