Trip from PP to Samana

A

Alexandra Peek

We are staying with 4 persons in Puerto Plata for two weeks in October. We would like to make a short trip to Samana, to visit the beautiful beaches.

Can anybody give us advise on how to travel and what to see/ to do. We prefer taking a bus, but I have no idea how long it takes to travel from Puerto Plata to Samana. Can we make this a day trip? Leave early in the morning and come back late in the evening? Or is it to far and do we have to book a hotel for one night.

Can anybody give us advise on how to travel, what the costs are, how much time it will take, if it's necessary to spent a night and if so, advise on a decent hotel. And of course we would like to know what to see and to do in Samana.

Thanks in advance,

Alexandra

K

KenDP

You can travel both ways by bus, but may need to spend the night in order to see what you want of Samana.

There are three buses going to Samana. There is a privately run bus that gives good service. It leaves Puerto Plata at about 6:30am and departs Samana at 2:00pm. It goes daily and gives good service. It is the one I use. Caribe Tour leaves PP at 7:00am and departs Samana at 4pm. It goes most days. But since it doesn't have a great many passengers, I have noticed that if there are any bus problems that this is one run that is sometimes cancelled for that day. There is also a bus that I understand leaves PP about 5 am and returns from Samana about 10:00. You don't have to go both ways on same bus. The trip from PP to Samana is about 3 1/2 hours. You could, for example, take the 5 am bus to Samana and the 4pm Caribe Tour back to PP. That combination would give you the maximum amount of time in Samana and still travel by bus both ways on same day. Only problem is, when you left PP there would be no way to be certain that the Caribe Tour bus would run that day. Chances are excellent it would, but there is always that possibility with Caribe Tour on the Samana/PP run.

D

DeanO

See www.samana.net *PIC*

Hi Alexandra,
See www.samana.net for informations on hotels, things to do in Samana peninsula and how to get there.
I always find something new on the site, guess Andy (owner of www.samana.net) is occupied with preparation in case storm "Dean" is brushing Samana Peninsula.
Have a good time, I recomand to visit "Playa Rincon", if you can. You will not regret-it.
DeanO

M

Marc

I do not recommend a 1-day trip, nor a bus, but it depends on how adventurous you are. I recommend that you rent a jeep and do the trip in two days (one night stay). Here is what we have done, and we have gone more than once we loved it so much.

Rent a little sidekick or something similar, and leave early in the morning. I recommend you go to Las Galeras, the far end of the Samana peninsula, and stay at a hotel called Club Bonito. It is right on the beach, has pool/restaurant...

The joy of the Samana area to us is the drive there. It is beautiful, and you will likely want to stop for pictures at a lot more places than the bus will be stopping. There are small vendors on the side of the road in Samana that sell Coconut Bread, which is to die for...and you will want to stop for some of that for sure.

Once there, rent a little boat for the 4 of you and go to some of the off-the-beaten path beaches. They are great, and the boat is cheap (depending on your bargaining skills!). Check the website as already posted for an idea of things to do in the area. Having your own wheels will add to the trip immensely. Just don't drive the highway at night as it can be treacherous. Not that there are bandits, but everyone seems to hang out on the highways, there are no lines, there are cows, horses, potholes, piles of gravel, cars without lights, motorbikes without lights, cars/motorbikes driving down the wrong side of the road...dodgeball is easier in the daylight!

You may also want to stop at El Limon and check out the waterfall on the way home, I haven't gone yet but have heard really good things about it. You can also make pit stops in Rio San Juan, Cabarete, and Sosua...aswell as many other small towns along the way, to get the most out of your trip.

Again, it depends on your level of comfort driving in a country with no road rules. For us, it is the way to go....for others, the security offered in transportation such as a bus far outweighs the risks of renting a car themselves.

Good luck, I hope you enjoy this beautiful country during your stay in PP!

marc

P

Prof. Tiberius Mineola

Re: POP to Samana Taxi?

The cab fare from POP to Samana is @ US $100.00 - 1 way, Figure on 4 hours; a beautiful & easy ride. With 4 people, this might make more sense. Or, try to rent the cab for the day. Most have AC. Renting a car is @ US $30 - 40 per day. Perhaps, renting a car for 2 days? With a cab or rental car for 2 days, you could see Las Terrenas [more beautiful than Samana, in this opinion] & Samana. To do it in 1 day, bus or cab will be exhausting & self-defeating, in my opinion. A most beautiful part of our planet. Enjoy!

S

Susanne

You will love the Samana Peninsula if you like beautiful nature. It is still relatively unspoiled, with lovely beaches (some of them full of coral, though), loads of palm trees and green, green mountains. Many places it turns into rain forest.

I would advice going by bus - we did, including our two small children. It was no problem whatsoever. The ride was fast (3.5 hours) and comfortable. The buses have A/C, so bring a jumper - it could get a bit cool. Bring what you want to drink and nibble on the way. It does not necessarily stop for any length of time. Be prepared that some may smoke.

Also, if you do get off the bus to buy something on the way, make certain that you have agreed on this with the bus driver. These buses usually keep their schedule, so no time to go walkabout.

Two years ago we paid - as far as I remember - 80 pesos per person single ride. This was the equivalent of about six or seven dollars.

I doubt you could have done the trip much faster by car. And it certainly wouldn't be safer.

Don't just go for a day trip, spend a few days there. You will not regret it. You will find loads of information on what to do on www.samana.net. I really loved Las Galeras. It is small, quiet and away from it all. I suggest you eat at El Marinique - Nicole's food is excellent. We also loved staying there, but if you cannot do without all the comforts in the World this is not the place. You can see a more lengthy review on www.debbiesdominicantravel.com.

Enjoy your trip.

Regards,
Susanne

S

Sonny

Re: See www.samana.net

Samana.net is one of the best sites for Samana area info and Andy I'm sure will answer all your questions correctly...great guy!

K

KenDP

Bus fare one way is about RD$70/per person. At present rate of exchange, this is less than US$5.

Caribe Tour is the most likely to be chilly. The two private buses I mentioned are air conditioned, but the temp doesn't drop as low as it sometimes does on Caribe Tour. (You tend to notice this more early in morning).

I have frequently made the round trip in one day, but it is tiring. Going by bus one day and returning by bus another makes more sense.

As far as taxi is concerned, better go by bus and use the money for a hotel room.

You can get from Samana to Las Galeras by guagua for about USS$2/per person.

Las Terrenas also worth a visit. You can negotiate with a driver in Samana to take you there and back.

A

Alexandra Peek

Thanks again for all the advise

I think it will be either the bus or a rental car, and since most of you advise .. a two day trip. I will check out the website with the info on Club Bonito.

So thank you all!

Alexandra