Advice on a possible job in the DR

kmy

Feb 28, 2013
Hello Everyone my name is Kristi from Seattle USA. I am hoping you can give me some advice on a a job offer I am considering in the DR. It is as an English teacher for a school called Universidad Catholica Nordestana in San Francisco de Macoris. I just wanted to do some background research on the school and town to help me decide if I should take the job or not, so if anyone knows anything about that school or the area please let me know. Any info would be appreciated! Thanks!!

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Kristi:

Unfortunately, I am not familiar with the school. Have you ever been to the DR? I'm assuming you have some language skills? I know it is a long ride but perhaps you should come here for a week and hit the ground. It sounds like a big decision and it is hard to get answers without seeing it first hand.

LTSteve

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Kristi.. San Francisco is not one of the two major cities or an ex pat enclave so you life outside may be a bit limited. But is is only an hour or so to Las Terrenas so you will be able to go there on weekends. The basic sorta salary that has been talked about for Englihs teachers is around a thousand US a month with the upside coming in those places that provide housing.. Since it is a University, perhaps it will be more.. but that is about the range and that is a very tough wage for a foreigner to live on here. Not that it cannot be done, just that it may not be a lot of fun. But if you get housing...

How did you get the job offer if you do not know the background of the schooll, may I ask?

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I was a former Peace Corps volunteer in SFM some 25 years ago or so and married into a local Dominican family, so my yearly pilgrimages are mostly spent in the area. It is a nice place and the University is very reputable, it is private and Catholic. I have had various contact with people in the University over the years and it has always been positive and professional.

Renting a decent apartment with security is about US$400/month plus electricity. There are also clean, alright places for $100/month with no security. There is a professional group of people in the city who you can easily become associated with and soon you will be invited to peoples homes and all kinds of family occasions. I like El Patio and El Dorado for the two best places to eat in town but there are more, de Moya has the best breakfast/lunch choices.

Transportation will be a big issue. I use a motorcycle but would recommend having a car in order to get around. It is too hot to walk all the time, and after dark, I am usually in the campo finishing up a nice home cooked meal, but security is becoming a bigger and bigger issue. Spend time with trusted people who are familiar with the surroundings and you will have no problems.

Let me know if you need any more information.

mmilone

Mar 25, 2003
Kristi, hello. If I may ask, did you attain a TESOL or other certification? I would like to teach English someday overseas; maybe in the D.R., so I am curious about your situation. For example, did you teach before? Do you speak Spanish? How did you get the job offer? Any advice you can give will be appreciated. Thanks

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Good information from Tom. That is where I started my college education. At the time they didn't have a campus per se, but now they do. Unfortunately the campus is way out of town, so you will need some kind of reliable transportation if you plan to live in the town. SFM is not one of the largest cities, but it is a good size city with everything that entails.

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
Kristi:

Unfortunately, I am not familiar with the school. Have you ever been to the DR? I'm assuming you have some language skills? I know it is a long ride but perhaps you should come here for a week and hit the ground. It sounds like a big decision and it is hard to get answers without seeing it first hand.

LTSteve

That is one of the hardest things about international teaching - you often have a single weekend to decide where in the world you will live for the next two years and no chance to go to any of the places before deciding. So far we have committed to living/working in three very different countries without ever setting foot in any of them before signing the contracts. This is why "flexible and adaptable" are two very common traits listed by schools when describing ideal canidates. :)

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"DO IT!
Travel, living in a "foreign" country is one of the best life choices you cab ever make!
You will learn to value being born in the "First World",possibly improve the lives of your students, and it will look great on your resume!
Remember, "What Doesn't Kill You, Only Serves To Make You STRONGER!"
Just remember, you may love it so much, you won't want to leave!
Cris colon
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Cris Colon

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
"DO IT!
Travel, living in a "foreign" country is one of the best life choices you cab ever make!
You will learn to value being born in the "First World",possibly improve the lives of your students, and it will look great on your resume!
Remember, "What Doesn't Kill You, Only Serves To Make You STRONGER!"
Just remember, you may love it so much, you won't want to leave!
Cris colon
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Cris Colon

CC is absolutely right - we went to the DR on a 2 year contract and ended up staying for 9 instead. We love it but the itch to see new places won out in the end. :)

Don't let the fact that you haven't been to a place influence your decision. If you are strong and centered living in almost any country will give you the opportunity to have a great experience. As for language the best way to learn it is to get a local boyfriend or girlfriend. :bunny:

mmilone

Mar 25, 2003
My question to Kristi........I will now ask all DR1 forum members.......anyone currently teaching English in the D.R.? Can you elaborate on your experience? Thanks

mmilone

Mar 25, 2003
Thanks for the response and details. A salary of 9,500 pesos a month is rough. I've been looking online, and see that there are possibilities in the Capital. Not sure if you're willing to work there. I'm surprised there is nothing in Puerto Plata available. Can I ask you what you thought about the TESOL training? I haven't taken any training yet, but would like to, here in NJ.