Gardeners!

big_a

Feb 28, 2013
www.hector.ca
i'm getting my raised garden built in the next week or so. i need my greens!

today, i ate some lovely lettuce from a local who was selling and it occurred to me, that if they grew such lovely lettuce, then it shouldn't be impossible to grow my collards, kale and chard.

any gardeners out there with tips before i try my hand at gardening for the first time?

this should be quite the learning curve, i'm sure.

but any advice would be fantastic!

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
As long as you have good soil,you will have no problems growing veggies.Buy some plant
food and mix one scoop to one gallon of water and apply once every two weeks to your
plants.I planted green beans from seeds and squash besides a variety of other veggies
and herbs.Start from either seeds or plants and water your plants once a day during
this time of year as it's not so hot.During the hottest months water twice a day,morning
and evening.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
We row chrd 9 Renee's arden seeds), lettuce , melons, peppers, tomatoes, etc.

The winter months are the best for us.... summer is a bit hotter at nihts.

All the locals have knowhow....

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
We row chrd 9 Renee's arden seeds), lettuce , melons, peppers, tomatoes, etc.

The winter months are the best for us.... summer is a bit hotter at nihts.

All the locals have knowhow....

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Fence Posts" grow here!
I grow everything, except cold weather crops.
I like to plant some seeds that I take from fresh fruits and vegetables that come with seeds inside.
They are like a "Big-Box-Of-Chocolates",You never know what you will get!
Thanks "Forest"!
Cris Colon,
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

bayaguanaman

Oct 22, 2009
"Fence Posts" grow here!
I grow everything, except cold weather crops.
I like to plant some seeds that I take from fresh fruits and vegetables that come with seeds inside.
They are like a "Big-Box-Of-Chocolates",You never know what you will get!
Thanks "Forest"!
Cris Colon,
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

I have had great success with Turnips, and of course it does no harm to give them a gentle hair cut for their greens whilst they are still in the ground. Beautiful tasting veg and the greens are excellent either raw in salad or boiled up.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I like to plant "Veggies" that are expensive here, like "Peppers",and cilantro,and good American tomatoes.
Carrots, beets,cabbage,"cukes",and bananas are cheap.
I do grow bananas because the trees look nice, and remind me that in the winter, the DR is warmer than Boston!
I do grow "Plantanos", which are expensive now.
I wish I could grow a lot more, but they do take up space.
We grow a LOT of "Juandules". They grow on small fast growing trees, less than a year to maturity. Just stick one "Juandule" in the ground, and stand back!
Now if you are REALLY paceint, plant an Avocado, or a mango seed!
About 8 years later you will be eating them both!
I did, and I DO!
Sadly,few dominicans plant anything for personal use.
Patience is not a big virtue here!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

May 29, 2006
I'm looking into doing 5 gallon bucket gardening this year and then maybe expand into micro hydroponics next year.

There are a couple designs out there where if you have a small space, you can stack the buckets with the plants growing out of the sides, or you can just have one plant per bucket for bigger plants like tomatoes.

How to Make A 5 Gallon Bucket Garden - YouTube

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I love 5 gal. buckets!
I drill a bunch of 1/4 inch holes in the bottom yo let any excess water escape during the rainy season.
I add about 2 inches of coarse gravel, and then the soil to a few inches below the rim.
If the crop needs steaking, I put in the steak before the gravel and soil, much easier than trying to jam it in when the container is filled!
The guy in the video seems to be a "Tomato Freak"!
At least he is growing the basil to go with it.
I wonder if the has cows to make his own MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOzarella!
A little olive oil and "Heaven-On-A-Plate"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I'm an Illinois farm boy, too "Old School" for "Techy" solutions.
It all about getting "Back-To-My-ROOTS!:cheeky::cheeky::cheeky:
I actually enjoy watering my "South Forty".
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
If u have a celula and lots of land theres a goverment institution that sells all kind of trees(u know the young kind like 20 cm which is the hardest part). They have a special name for them like invetro or something or other and in my experience they give fruit from the 2nd year onwards. Ive planted 4 diffrent kinds of mango, 3 diffrent avocadoes, more oranges and lemons than I can remember, grenada, honey aples and lots more. The amazing part is it cost like only 20 to 50 pesos for a tree, and they are great. I forgot the official explination but its something like they want to reintroduce lots of varieties of trees.I went last week again to goverment place just outside of mao, and for 400 pesos I got 7 avocadoes, 6 mangoes, 2 grenada, 3 palmas(the dwarf type), 2 honey apples, 3 lime, 3 sweet oranges 1 chinola and 2 bitter oranges. Its amazing they have a huge nursery with so many diffrent types and the guy was very helpful( he does know my brother in law). Of course in my conuc we have platano, guinea( the small bannaas) and another type which I forgot its name, guandule, yucca,

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
sorry sometime its hard to post.......anyway nearly everything grows here very easily except apples. We are even trying abricots and mirabelles!!
Salad, peppers, sweet peppers, radishes, turnips, brussels sprouts, abishuelas, tomatoes of all kind and lots more are on our everyday menu at home.... Its much easier and less hassle than back in europe. Lots of fun once u have sorted ure land out(thats the hard part).Enjoy everything grows fast here.

Redscot

Dec 10, 2004
As CC says, throw a seed in the ground and stand back! Esa es tierra bendecida. Tubers also grow very well, Yautia in many varieties (Amarilla, Morada, Blanca y Coco!). Planted about 7 pounds total of varying beans (Black, Red, Lima) 3 months ago and now have close to 100 pounds of beans stored up. Bok Choy is also a wonderful crop. Can't forget squash.

Agriculture here is SO satisfying on a small scale. The poor campesino that relies on his conuco to subsist in these times, not so much.

big_a

Feb 28, 2013
www.hector.ca
I like to plant "Veggies" that are expensive here, like "Peppers",and cilantro,and good American tomatoes.
Carrots, beets,cabbage,"cukes",and bananas are cheap.
I do grow bananas because the trees look nice, and remind me that in the winter, the DR is warmer than Boston!
I do grow "Plantanos", which are expensive now.
I wish I could grow a lot more, but they do take up space.
We grow a LOT of "Juandules". They grow on small fast growing trees, less than a year to maturity. Just stick one "Juandule" in the ground, and stand back!
Now if you are REALLY paceint, plant an Avocado, or a mango seed!
About 8 years later you will be eating them both!
I did, and I DO!
Sadly,few dominicans plant anything for personal use.
Patience is not a big virtue here!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

i'm thinking i'm going to try to find a mango tree that's already started. get a jump on things! we already have a banana tree and a papaya tree, both of which have lots of fruit.

oh.

and so many coconuts i don't even know what to do with them, but i just made my own version of coconut milk and made corn bread with it. it turned out great!

we also have an avacado 'stick'. i say 'stick', because it had a lot more leaves on it before they built our wall. now it looks worse than the charlie brown xmas tree.

but it's alive.

just not sure if there will ever be an avacadofrom it lol!

big_a

Feb 28, 2013
www.hector.ca
I'm looking into doing 5 gallon bucket gardening this year and then maybe expand into micro hydroponics next year.

There are a couple designs out there where if you have a small space, you can stack the buckets with the plants growing out of the sides, or you can just have one plant per bucket for bigger plants like tomatoes.

How to Make A 5 Gallon Bucket Garden - YouTube

this sounds fantastic! hmmmmmm ... and the hydroponics?!?! that sounds awesome! well, we have a small space, so that one won't work, but i'll check out the bucket one!

big_a

Feb 28, 2013
www.hector.ca
If u have a celula and lots of land theres a goverment institution that sells all kind of trees(u know the young kind like 20 cm which is the hardest part). They have a special name for them like invetro or something or other and in my experience they give fruit from the 2nd year onwards. Ive planted 4 diffrent kinds of mango, 3 diffrent avocadoes, more oranges and lemons than I can remember, grenada, honey aples and lots more. The amazing part is it cost like only 20 to 50 pesos for a tree, and they are great. I forgot the official explination but its something like they want to reintroduce lots of varieties of trees.I went last week again to goverment place just outside of mao, and for 400 pesos I got 7 avocadoes, 6 mangoes, 2 grenada, 3 palmas(the dwarf type), 2 honey apples, 3 lime, 3 sweet oranges 1 chinola and 2 bitter oranges. Its amazing they have a huge nursery with so many diffrent types and the guy was very helpful( he does know my brother in law). Of course in my conuc we have platano, guinea( the small bannaas) and another type which I forgot its name, guandule, yucca,

this is exactly what i want!!! to find a mango and avocado tree ready made! i don't have patience to plant one from scratch. i'm too new. so thank you!!! could you tell me where to go to find this? i'm in gaspar hernandez.