how to get new stamp in passport without leaving the country?

rubenpriego

Feb 28, 2011
Read some time ago in a post that in Puerto Plata airport you were able to do.
Any other airport or office in Punta Cana?
Any other way?
If you pay your overstay fee you get then new stamp in your passport?
Cheers.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I don't know how you will accomplish this. In Las Americas you have to go through customs and immigration while paying the over stay fee. You first have to go through security. Without an airline ticket I don't believe you will get that far.

LTSteve

rubenpriego

Feb 28, 2011
but in Puerto Plata airport some folks got a renewal of tourist visa and kept in the country, did not leave ...

Feb 7, 2007
MIgracion office, in Veron. You pay and get a pink slip with the new "valid through" date. You can do that before, or after your current stamp validity expired.

rubenpriego

Feb 28, 2011
MIgracion office, in Veron. You pay and get a pink slip with the new "valid through" date. You can do that before, or after your current stamp validity expired.

but you dont get a new stamp in your passport right? BTW, I have been googling for the phone number of that office, but no way to find it ... anyone has it?

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
I know people that do this in Panama and Costa Rica, but they still have to leave the country and enter into the other to recieve stamps on their passport. A country stamps you passport when you enter and exit the country period.

BTW You can't enter and exit a house at the same time can you? If this could be done talk about a MAJOR security risk.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
As the over stay fees are very reasonable it's easiest to just pay at the airport prior to your departure.
They are well organized at POP and usually screen you before going to the passport check.
Just pay in the office, you get a receipt and present it to the immigration officer as you present your passport.
You do not receive a new stamp.

If you are talking residencia this does not apply.

http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/84740-new-overstay-fees.html

rubenpriego

Feb 28, 2011
stay out for at least 72hrs in the case of costa rica and panama? or you mean dominican republic?

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
You can't get a new stamp in your passport without leaving the country. Which means, going through customs and immigration and going to the gate. In most cases the overstay fine is a lot less than the cost of an airline ticket. It doesn't make a lot of sense except if you plan on going to Puerto Rico for the weekend.

LTSteve

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
Read some time ago in a post that in Puerto Plata airport you were able to do.
Any other airport or office in Punta Cana?
Any other way?
If you pay your overstay fee you get then new stamp in your passport?
Cheers.

What you may have read in a previous post or the wrong advice in this thread is simply not correct. Pay the fee, ensure you receive a legally stamped receipt, and move on from there.

In Fact there is a new "White Paper" going through right now here, that things will tighten up even more on subjects like this, but espec on Residency Applications.

rubenpriego

Feb 28, 2011
are you requesting advise in how to break the law?

Im not talking about how to break the law, Im just asking if there is any way to do that, taking into consideration we are in a country where if for example you overstay 2 years, you just pay a f... fee of 100€. So if so easy solution for an overstay where in other countries you would be deported, why not having a solution for what I talk about?
That's why I thought there could be a way to do that in a normal way, not ilegal one ...

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Im not talking about how to break the law, Im just asking if there is any way to do that, taking into consideration we are in a country where if for example you overstay 2 years, you just pay a f... fee of 100€. So if so easy solution for an overstay where in other countries you would be deported, why not having a solution for what I talk about?
That's why I thought there could be a way to do that in a normal way, not ilegal one ...

The laws in this country are "for informational purposes only." Meaning they may or may not be enforced on any given day.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004

The normal way is to ask for a prorroga

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
do you know how to ask for that?

Search with with the term ''prorroga''. The following is what I answered David a few days ago in another thread. You will not have a new stamp in your passport but a small piece of paper that you keep with your passport. In post 4 of the present thread, rubio_higuey wrote:

Originally Posted by La Mariposa David, make a search with ''prorroga''. I found this and there is more ....

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by XTraveller PRORROGA-----EXTEND TOURIST VISA

I finally went thru the whole process. Close to the end of the first 30 days in DR. you can go to migration in SD. You go to cage #2 (Extranjeria) on the first floor with your passport. There you have to pay RD800 and can extend your tourist visa for an additional 3 months. If you want for more months you must return around the end of your prorroga and pay RD800 for an additional 3 months.
Note that the second time you must have your passport and a copy of your expire prorroga, you can make a photo copy at the reception area RD5. Make sure to have the photo copy before getting inline at cage #2.

Therefore this way you are a legal tourist but this is more costly than paying the fine when leaving
DR.Prorroga RD800 for 3months
Fine RD800 for up to close to 1 year I think?

XTraveller
I used to do as you excplained (go to the........,)not every 3 months though but only once and asked for a prorroga for 5 months(so I was paying for 4 to 6 months or something like that). Have they changed the law ????????????

La Mariposa,

Thanks for the info, that is exactly what I was looking for. I thought that was possible but couldn't find it. It seems most people prefer to just pay the overstay fee when they exit, but with so many recent changes I wanted to know what to do on the front end to renew the card if needed. I appreciate those who have responded that paying on exit is ok, but I was looking to not having to rely on that always being an option if the rules change later.

Thanks again everyone for your time and input

Last edited:

rubenpriego

Feb 28, 2011
yes I know about that paper, but I think that does not work for me unfortunately. I have to show my passport for some matters and it must show in dates there that Im legal when Im presenting it ...
Cheers!