if you ever see an accident you know what to do...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
in the news today car accident that left three people dead. illustrated by this photo:

vngg9l.jpg

you know what to do in case of an accident, right? pull out your BB and take pictures, stat!

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Sadly I know my first reaction will be to get away from the scene as quickly as possible, even if I had nothing to do with the accident. The last thing I want is to get mixed up in the drama... somehow they will find a way to make the gringo responsible.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Sadly I know my first reaction will be to get away from the scene as quickly as possible, even if I had nothing to do with the accident. The last thing I want is to get mixed up in the drama... somehow they will find a way to make the gringo responsible.

absolutely correct. i know this Italian guy who witnessed a pedestrian knockdown, wherein the driver fled the scene. by the way, i saw a statistic that 75% of fatal accidents in the DR are hit and runs. the guy put the badly injured lady in his truck, and made a beeline to the clinic. the upshot is that he ended up needing the services of an attorney to stave off the attempts by the medical provider to sue him for the costs. makes one reluctant to be a good Samaritan here.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
sometimes being dominican makes all the difference. the other day an old beaten up pickup that was just in front of me in POP hit a moto. in the middle of a busy intersection (javillar). i could see that nothing much happened, few scratches and bruises maybe, but the traffic was, of course, halted by onlookers. i honked my way through and went on to pick up miesposo. came back the same way, less than 5 minutes later: no sign of the event. things were solved quickly and swiftly.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
sometimes being dominican makes all the difference. the other day an old beaten up pickup that was just in front of me in POP hit a moto. in the middle of a busy intersection (javillar). i could see that nothing much happened, few scratches and bruises maybe, but the traffic was, of course, halted by onlookers. i honked my way through and went on to pick up miesposo. came back the same way, less than 5 minutes later: no sign of the event. things were solved quickly and swiftly.

absolutely right! normally speaking, if a gringo hits a motoncho, he is in a world of deep hurt. he will be surrounded by 187 other motoconcho riders, all looking to skin his hide, and fleece him. on the other hand, if the concho is hit by a Dominican, the results are oftentimes different. i saw a guy get out of a BMW X5 one afternoon, and shoot up a motoconcho guy's bike for getting too close, and scratching his ride.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
absolutely right! normally speaking, if a gringo hits a motoncho, he is in a world of deep hurt. he will be surrounded by 187 other motoconcho riders, all looking to skin his hide, and fleece him. on the other hand, if the concho is hit by a Dominican, the results are oftentimes different. i saw a guy get out of a BMW X5 one afternoon, and shoot up a motoconcho guy's bike for getting too close, and scratching his ride.

LOL !

Man, we gotta hang out more next time. Love ur stories, LMAO

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
You forgot step 2. Pick the pockets of all the victims.

funny you mentioned that, Frank. my buddy sent me a link to a video in which a car rolled over here, and a bunch of guys were doing their darnedest to clean the victims out while they were trying to get out of the car.

May 29, 2006

Sad but true. I can't imagine how many people die in the DR because no one wants to get involve. Being a witness is a quick way to get arrested.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
The main issue in The DR is that if you hit someone you NEED to flee to the nearest police station as getting out of your car can be very dangerous if the person you hit has relatives or friends around.

The 3rd week we were here I saw a guy on a moto have a really bad accident, he looked pretty dead. The gringo's we were with said earlier in the day don't EVER stop for an accident. So we just drove him, it didn't feel right but I will take people's advice who have lived here over 20 years!

whiddons

Dec 19, 2010
sometimes being dominican makes all the difference.

my girlfriend was driving my jipeta with me as a passenger, and had a fender bender with a guagua (her fault)...bumper damage to both vehicles...her and the taxi driver both got out of the vehicles looked at each other and got back in on there merry way as if there wasn't bumper damage on either car. P.S I'm sure they thought I was dominican also. Things do get worked out much easier when it's two dominicans and no bodily harm involved.

jackichan

Bronze
Jun 23, 2011
The main issue in The DR is that if you hit someone you NEED to flee to the nearest police station as getting out of your car can be very dangerous if the person you hit has relatives or friends around.

My friends travelling on Caribe tours enroute to Samana last saturday hit and possibly killed a moto guy. I'm told the driver didnt care to stop else he risked his own life and that of his passengers

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
caribe tours bus hit the guy, you mean? wow. once i was on a caribe bus that smacked neatly into the back of a truck that was driving very slowly. our driver gout out, exchanged few words with the truck driver and we were on our way. less than two minutes.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
best policy is to only rob the dead and soon to be dead as they have no further use for the money and I am poor and have a family to support.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Never never stop and help. Even if you are involved dont stop. I backed into a taxi in Sosua. Completely my fault. It was at the gringo end of Sosua beach and I was trapped and had to drive down and turn around. When I headed back up the hill the taxi driver stood in the street. I stopped and rolled my nearly black tinted window down two inches. He yelled I hit his car and had to pay. I denied it and told him to call the cops and drove off. Never heard another word. Between Dominicans no one ever pays unless its big time damage.