Shipping Valuable Goods into DR? Vimenpaq? Other Options?

cali2sdq

Jan 28, 2013
I am new to DR as of January, and I am studying here for a few months in SD. A few weeks ago my iphone broke, and as iphones are insanely more expensive here, I had my mom ship me an iphone from California using USPS express international 3-5 day shipping. Long story short, after 2 weeks I found out that my package arrived without my iphone, which apparently was stolen out of the package somewhere between America and it arriving at the Instituto Postal Santo Domingo (the box never even made it to me). My guess is someone at customs got it because I know my mother wrapped the package and taped it for dear life. We have purchased a replacement phone which we will once again try to ship to me here from California, however I don't know what to do because I am completely afraid my stuff will be stolen again. I am not willing to use USPS again. I was going to use FedEx but I read on another blog that Vimenpaq is the only reliable way to bring valuable merchandise into the country and actually get it to it's destination. Can someone please give me more info about this. Is it truly safe? And how does the process work? I really hope somebody can help me figure this out because I don't have money to keep purchasing iphones. Thank you so much!

catwoman

Oct 7, 2009
I use EPS all the time with no problem, I even have my medication sent from the uk via EPS,try them you ill not be disappointed

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
EPS, Encargopaq, TransExpress all Dominican shippers work but you need to set up an account with them.. Fedex and UPS are other options.

cali2sdq

Jan 28, 2013
don't know if this will help you but I am in ca. now (palm springs) visiting my sister and if your mother can get the phone to me, I will gladly bring it with me when I return. since I live in the capital, I will fly into las Americas and you would have to meet me there. my return date is approx. the 14th of this month. if you live anywhere else, then I am sorry I will not be able to help you.

Hi thank you for your offer. However my mother is in the bay area which is about an 8 hour drive away from Palm Springs. I don't think she would be willing to make the trip as it can be quite lengthy and a bit expensive with gas. Thank you very much for you generous offer however. It is greatly appreciated.

cali2sdq

Jan 28, 2013
I use EPS all the time with no problem, I even have my medication sent from the uk via EPS,try them you ill not be disappointed

Have you ever shipped something electronic? Can you please explain to me how it works, because when I went to there sight it was saying that I ship it to Florida? I am a little confused on the process. It seems to be different than the major service groups. If it gets my stuff here that's fine but I would really like to know a little more info to feel secure since I just had such a stroke of bad luck. Thanks.

cali2sdq

Jan 28, 2013
EPS, Encargopaq, TransExpress all Dominican shippers work but you need to set up an account with them.. Fedex and UPS are other options.

Hi, if possible I have the same question for you that I just asked above this post. Thank you.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I am flying to Santo Domingo on March 17th, I'd be happy to bring it to you if your mother mails it to me. I'm in New Jersey.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Be ready to pay BIG Customs Fees, if it even gets that far.
Next time you want something sent to the DR, post on DR1 BEFORE, and not AFTER you buy it.
FedEx is VERY EXPENSIVE!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
https://secure2.transexpress.com/vimenpaq/autentificacion

I use Vimenpaq for shipping.. you have to set up the account on line. Then they will give you the address that you will use. It works well but will cost you the shipping from Miami. Plus there is a new tax on eveything over $200.

I just wanted to say that I can vouch for Alter Ego.. have met and had dinner with her and her husband. She very sweetly brought me some of my Burt's bees lip gloss. She is married into a deep old family here and is a treasured member of the DR1 family.

if i were you.. i would take her up on her offer.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I just wanted to say that I can vouch for Alter Ego.. have met and had dinner with her and her husband. She very sweetly brought me some of my Burt's bees lip gloss. She is married into a deep old family here and is a treasured member of the DR1 family.

if i were you.. i would take her up on her offer.

Aw shucks Annie, thanks!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The various shippers like EPS, Transexpress, Encargopaq, etc provide you with an address in Florida to which you ship the products. They then periodically bring things from Florida to the DR. Depending upon the company, you pick up the shipments at their office or they deliver to you.

I primarily use Encargopaq for shipments now; they have no fee to open an account, they deliver to my house and their rates are competitive. There are taxes (no new ones to my knowledge, but the same old ones) on items that are over $200 US in value. When I want something more than $200 US in value shipped in, I get a quote from Encarcopaq to make sure of the total charge when delivered to my door. That works well for me.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I remember how isolated and frustrated I felt when i first lived in LT and wanted something and follks said I would have to travel to San Francisco de Marcoris, to La Sirena, to buy it. I thought that it would just be easier to fly to Miami. life can get pretty frustrating here.

Chris Dogan

Nov 6, 2012
www.twitter.com

agreed. my experience with EPS has been great, I've used them to send at least 5 packages to myself since jan. and i have not had any problems. the last package i sent weighed over 60 pds and was over 40 inches long, they delivered it to my door for only 75 pesos more. if your shipment is small, you will get it within a week or so, depending on if you do regular ground or express (2 to 4 days vs 6 to 8) the way that it works is that you create the account on their website, once you have an account number you give your mom that information and she simply sends the package to their office in florida, with you account information. once there, they ship it to the office in santo domingo (they also have offices in other cities here) and then you can either go pick it up, or call them and request it be delivered to your door. i have an account with fedex so now whenever i need something shipped i just tell my people in the states to send it to my EPS address and then i can track it from beginning to end, starting with fedex and ending with EPS.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
.............I was going to use FedEx but I read on another blog that Vimenpaq is the only reliable way to bring valuable merchandise into the country and actually get it to it's destination. Can someone please give me more info about this. Is it truly safe? And how does the process work? I really hope somebody can help me figure this out because I don't have money to keep purchasing iphones. Thank you so much!

I have used Vimenpaq several times and a few packages contained electronic devices. Bear in mind all packages I shipped were less than $200 in value and not subject to import duties. Vimenpaq is great as far as my experience with them. You simply open a Vimenpaq account and they will provide you with a mailing address in Florida, USA for which to ship your packages. Once the packages arrive at Vimenpaq in the USA you can track them online.

Only question I can't answer for you is how hard you will be hit with duty fees for items shipped valued at over $200 USD.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
listen, forget about it and consider buying your phone here. with shipping and taxes (on all items above 200 dollars) you may end up paying not much less to what they charge you in DR. and you will loose your nerves and sleep over it: will it get here, will it be in one piece and so on. plus, it costs time too.
your only viable alternative is alterego, who is a seasoned smuggler ;) seriously, it only pays off to have it brought here buy a traveler.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
We have had a few fairly expensive cell phones sent to the DR using Encargopaq and the end price was MUCH LOWER than purchasing here. Your results may vary.

catwoman

Oct 7, 2009
Hi The way EPS works is........ You register with EPS, you are then given a personal shipping reference number, for example EPS-e4499, You put this number after your name on the address label of your package, You use this number every time you ship a package. All packages go to the EPS central warehouse in Florida, from this warehouse the package is then distributed to which ever country is its destined for. Once the package is in the warehouse in Florida, you should recieve it in the Dr within 48 hours.. Monday to Friday. Yes I have shipped a Tv with no problems, but always ensure that delicate goods are packaged correctly. If you need more information please private message me. Hope this has helped

catwoman

Oct 7, 2009
Vimenpaque was used buy a friend of mine to transport a tv, when the shippment arrived,later than the date given to her, the tv was damaged beyond repair, the company was suppose to deliver it to her house, but told her she would have to collect it because they dont deliver!!!