Shopping for a Private Contractor to Build Home

webgurutoo

Mar 2, 2013
Hi everyone!

I am attempting to shop a quote for getting a house built in the DR. If anyone has a recommendation and also if they know what the current rate is per sq. m/ sq. ft to get a home built with normal finishes without getting ripped off.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
Cost per meter of finished construction depends on a few factors, mainly location, but in general about US$500-600 per square meter for a nice Dominican style finished home is about right. That's about RD$20k -25k per m2. The workmanship & finishes in this price range are acceptable but not really the best or premium quality. At this price level yo get ceramic tile floors, tiled roof, most likely mahogany doors and kitchen cabinets. You may want to contact Chip via pm, he's a civil engineer and might be able to help.

NotLurking

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Where?", is my first question,"WHY" is my second!
There are several hundred question that you need to consider,BEFORE you start to even think about building,Anywhere, and ESPECIALLY here!
When I see someone with only two post ask your questions, I ask myself,"SELF", have they been here, how many times, for how long,where,do they speak/understand "Dominican Spanish",and MANY MORE!
If you will post your response to those questions, the "Combined Wisdom??":cheeky:, and experience of the DR1 community will be at your service.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Last edited:

webgurutoo

Mar 2, 2013
Hi Criss-

Right now, I am essentially performing a feasibility study and cost analysis. Am I committed to moving to Latin America/Caribbean? Yes. Why? Because I have spent time there, I like it and can work from there with no problem. Do I speak Spanish....Yes...Do I speak the Dominican version of Spanish...Not yet..Why the Dominican Republic? It's cost effective, I scuba dive and I like Dominicans. Until then, I am getting information because I am that serious about it. I wouldn't join DR1 if I was not genuinely interested.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
If you like the DR than by all means come here. RENT in the area that you are considering to live in. Get a feel for real life with your feet on the ground. Then and only then consider what type of dwelling will work. As said in other posts home security is the first consideration here, especially if you are relying on your computer to make a living. Pursue your dream but slow down and plan it out and get reliable info from those who came before you.

LTSteve

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
my sister in law is an architect here. she always rolls her eyes when i ask her about average costs :) it all depends on your location, on the type of the structure you want, specifics of the land you are building on, materials used and so on.
above you have the ballpark already but do not be surprised it changes. once you are set on construction have two or three people give you a quote.

webgurutoo

Mar 2, 2013
Hi Steve-

That's the plan. I am coming down and renting for a month to check it out. Thanks for the good info!

Jan 5, 2006
If you are looking for a contractor to hand him a check and build your dream home, without going through any hassles on your part, then you might as well buy something that's already built, because that way you know the exact total cost, upfront.

The big advantage to building yourself is that you get to supervise every aspect of the construction, by acting as the general contractor with the assistance of a trusted "maestro". However, this involves a lot of work and running around on your part because you have to be onsite every step of the way. It also requires some knowledge of general building procedures and techniques, and a lot of knowledge/experience on dealing and negotiating with Dominicans. The last part is not always for the faint of heart!

I have personal experience with the second scenario, as we built a house in Santiago several years ago. I am Dominican, so I knew most of what I was in for ahead of time. We ended up with the house that we wanted, and what I believe is a better quality house, than if we had just handed a check to a builder. I know that I also saved money by doing it this way, but dealt with a lot more headaches.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
You should not build a house till you have at least 1100 DR1 posts. But if you insist, Chip is your guy for sure.

BILLYRAY

Mar 29, 2012
hi everyone!

I am attempting to shop a quote for getting a house built in the dr. If anyone has a recommendation and also if they know what the current rate is per sq. M/ sq. Ft to get a home built with normal finishes without getting ripped off.

i have a few people i know. For very good rates. That sounds a little high on some of the replys. But yes what area????