question to retired canadians

devdev

May 14, 2011
my mother will be moving here, and we are curious as to how to go about getting her pension while living here...has any other retired Canadians moved here with a pension?? how does one receive it while living in d.r.?? is it possible??

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
She can use her bankcard to withdraw her money from her account in Canada thus she doesn,t have to change her deposit. In order to use cheques she will need a USA account as Canadian cheques will not be honored here to the best of my knowledge. RBC offers a USA account,- I,m sure other Canadian banks might too. Then, when her pension is deposited she transfers it to her USA account , writes a check and it,s done.

If she wants to cut all ties to Canada (for tax purposes) she can;t have a Canadian bank account . I don't know if she could have it direct deposited to a Dominican account,- might have to wait till she gets here to find out. Anyone who can comment on direct deposit to DR accounts?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Best bet - have direct desposit in to a Canadian bank and then do online transfers to a Dominican bank account. I have my pension go in to my RBC account then I can transfer online as much as $2500 per day to my US dollar account at BHD in the DR. It takes anywhere from 1-4 days for the money to arrive in my account, usually two days.

palmiche53

Dec 17, 2012
- if away from canada more than 181 days you loose the medical coverage (ohip in ontario) but the OAS and the CPP pension
can be received in a country outside Canada without any penalty. If your OAS has a Social supplement benefit you'll will kiss and good by it since you need to be a cdn resident

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
So then if you are a resident here, and dont have a address or a bank acct in Canada ,you believe you can still get cpp?

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
I read in the CPP and OAS government page that Canada has an agreement to be able to direct deposit into foreign accounts. The list is 175 countries, unfourtunatly Dominican Republic is not on that list.