Transporting Your Car from the United States

webgurutoo

Mar 2, 2013
Is it less expensive to buy in the DR or have my vehicle imported into the DR. I ask this because in some countries, if you are become a permanent resident, import taxes are waived on importing your car and household goods. Also, I do know the import tax exemption definitely exists for anyone working or having an office in a free trade zone area.

G

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
It's not the matter of if the car will be cheaper here, it's how much are you looking for a peace of mind. If you are the original owner and if the car is reliable, I'll say bring it in even it'll cost you couple of thousands extra. If you like to try your luck playing Russian Roulette Dominican Style, where no bullet were removed, be my guest. All the used car sold here are cleaner then new but when you dig in you will not like what you'll find. I've looked at 6 cars through carfax and every single one had the odometer turn back at least 50k miles, some had accidents and some had multiple visit to dealer before it was sold. I end up buying almost brand new Kia through another Korean family departing and I paid more then what I would pay in US for a used car, but still it was a killer deal.

New = you can buy it here.
Used = DO NOT BUY IT HERE.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The Hassle Factor of importing a car can be VERY high, not to mention the costs for shipping, customs, first license fees and bribes despite being brought in during your supposedly "free" grace period for a new resident. I think you are still OK with the car being 5 years old, but you are right on the cusp of the limit of age for importing. Others can comment on that. Get the complete door to door shipping costs from your shipping company.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Sell it and buy a new car here. This way you will still have hair on your head.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
You can buy a used car here. You just have to be very careful. If you can buy one from a private individual and have the car checked out prior to any agreement you should be fine. Used car dealers in the DR are like snake oil salesmen. They will make promises they can't keep. BUYER BEWARE. I know once you have established temporary residency you are allow to bring in household goods tax exempt but I am not sure about a vehicle. I sure others can answer that question.

LTSTeve

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Didn't they change the law to up to 10 yr old car? Or were they just talking about doing it.....?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
That?s what I have been told, and less than 5 years old as of the date of arrival.

In your name for 1 year to importation and 5yrs or less -

Not 'Tax Free'.... reduced taxes, still a guess until its too late..... mine was affordable (2005 Jeep Wrnagler in 2009)
Others complain.

Since then, I have bought here with very little hassle..... and not a bad price.

The OP's car is close to the 5yr line...might be better to buy here.

Try SuperCarros - Rep?blica Dominicana - compra de carros, venta de vehiculos to get a feel for the market